Author Topic: Peripheral Thoughts on the Impending Confirmation of Justice Kavanaugh  (Read 304 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Peripheral Thoughts on the Impending Confirmation of Justice Kavanaugh
American Spectator, Oct 4, 2018, Dov Fischer

Like so many others, I have been deeply affected by the Kavanaugh Saga. As the current round winds down, with the FBI closing its investigation and supplementary background checks, and with Senator Mitch McConnell about to take the baton passed to him from Senator Chuck Grassley and race to the finish line, these peripheral thoughts begin to emerge:

1. At what point do we call inconsistencies “lies,” and at what point may we start calling Christine Blasey Ford a public liar?

During the Ford-Kavanaugh hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee, the most dishonest public liar in the United States Senate, Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, hit on something: falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus. The Latin term (“false in one thing, false in everything”) sometimes is used in jury instructions; it means basically “If the person has lied in one thing, he or she probably has lied in a whole bunch of other things, so you really have to wonder how the person can be trusted for anything.” For example, Blumenthal got caught publicly lying about serving militarily in Vietnam. He may be deemed dishonest in everything.

Initially, at the Judiciary Committee hearing, Christine Blasey Ford presented publicly as a credible witness, describing a horrific event that happened earlier in her life, nearly four decades ago. She spoke in a voice and demeanor that was compelling. Although she did not persuade that she was identifying the correct attacker, her basic account of an attack came across as highly credible. However, it now emerges that several other segments of her testimony — sworn and spoken the same day at the same hearing in the same voice with the same credibility — were lies.

[...]

2. What became of the “party boys” who attended high school thirty-six years ago?
3. Does Ruth Bader Ginsburg still have the judicial temperament to sit on the Supreme Court?
4. Have you ever personally known someone whose excellent name and reputation were under concerted attack?

Read more:  https://spectator.org/peripheral-thoughts-on-the-impending-confirmation-of-justice-kavanaugh/

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Peripheral Thoughts on the Impending Confirmation of Justice Kavanaugh
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 01:29:10 pm »
A good and worthwhile read.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline endicom

Re: Peripheral Thoughts on the Impending Confirmation of Justice Kavanaugh
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 02:08:51 pm »

I had no idea that yeshivas could be so rowdy.

I empathize with being the victim of character assassination, records altering and such. It's not uncommon and can end any hope for a career.