Author Topic: Sasse: I encouraged Trump to pick someone instead of Kavanaugh  (Read 896 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Before anyone jumps on Sasse, he is saying somewhat in a general way,  that he preferred a woman because they would be more immune to allegations of sexual harassment.  Not so much against Kavanaugh. Sasse said this on the Senate floor. Could he be teetering?

Sasse: I encouraged Trump to pick someone instead of Kavanaugh
Jordain Carney

GOP Sen. Ben Sasse (Neb.) said on Wednesday night that he urged President Trump to nominate someone besides Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court earlier this year.

"Although I've said many complimentary things about Judge Brett Kavanaugh and his distinguished record ... I will say that I urged the president back in June and early July to make a different choice before he announced this nomination," Sasse said as part of an emotional speech from the Senate floor about sexual assault.

Sasse did not say who he urged Trump to nominate but that he "urged the president to nominate a woman." Circuit judges Joan Larsen and Amy Coney Barrett were considered to be on the White House's short list for the Supreme Court vacancy created by Anthony Kennedy's retirement.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/sasse-i-encouraged-trump-to-pick-someone-instead-of-kavanaugh/ar-BBNTSiE?li=BBnb7Kz&OCID=ansmsnnews11

In the last paragraph, Senators Rand Paul and Tom Cotton are said to have had some doubts on Kavanaugh as a "social conservative". I've heard this elsewhere though Kavanaugh seems to get the green light from pro-life groups.  We can not know how a judge will actually vote until he is seated. I read one article that said, he would rule more like Anthony Kennedy did. I have no idea.

Another article stated Kavanaugh as a pick was from Washington insiders from the Conservative establishment. So, put that in your pipe and smoke it. Check one of Kincaid's latest editorials at RenewAmerica.com . I chose not to post it here.   http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/kincaid/181001

Sasse says this so while he may still be a yes vote, it seems he would make it easier for others to say no with this.

Sen Lindsay Graham is a staunch pro-lifer though.  He seems supportive of Kavanaugh.

It's not a done deal by any means.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:17:46 am by TomSea »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Sasse: I encouraged Trump to pick someone instead of Kavanaugh
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 06:07:54 pm »
I reserve the right to jump on Sasse.  He is a smug guy who thinks he should be President.  He shouldn't.

As for nominating a woman ... okay, how great have the last women nominated to the court been?

They are all horrible.  I hope Trump never nominates a woman.  Nine times out of ten they will be a disaster.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 06:21:58 pm »
   Sandra Day O'Conner wasn't too bad.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 06:32:10 pm »
I reserve the right to jump on Sasse.  He is a smug guy who thinks he should be President.  He shouldn't.

As for nominating a woman ... okay, how great have the last women nominated to the court been?

They are all horrible.  I hope Trump never nominates a woman.  Nine times out of ten they will be a disaster.

There are some good ones.  Janice Rogers Brown would have been great.  Amy Coney Barrett would be awesome.  It's just that she may have the same issue as Janice Rogers Brown -- to staunch and outspoken a conservative.

Sandra Day O'Connor may have been the worst of the past 40 years.  There were some that were further to the left, but she was the queen of legislating from the bench rather than drawing clear, justiciable standards based on the Constitution.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 06:33:29 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 06:52:21 pm »
I do hope Barrett is the next pick, but not because she's "a woman."  It's really irritating to hear Sasse go that direction.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 06:59:46 pm »
Amy Coney Barret might have been seen clearly as being more pro-life even, with no apologies about it. I think Kavanaugh was picked as a more mild choice. ... Or he could have nominated Mike Lee.

My esteem for Sasse has gone up more and more seeing him in action actually.

As I said, you can't ask for much more than just being fair and honest. I also thought I saw his "Conservative Rating" is way up there. 90%.

https://www.conservativereview.com/scorecard/

Mike Lee, 100% A, hard to believe, Orrin Hatch is a 24%, F (just from what it says on the page). Hatch has been in the Senate a long time, so maybe older votes affect him.

Rand Paul, 92%

Jim Jordan, 98%

These ratings certainly are not perfect; but it's something to go by, something to discuss. Those politifacts are not perfect but something to discuss.

Sasse did well in that hearing as well.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 07:01:38 pm by TomSea »

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 07:03:23 pm »

Why must this be said at this time? Couldn't it have been saved for next week?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 07:14:38 pm »
Sassey boy thinks of himself as the smartest guy in the room. He is very far from smart, politically however.

If he was, he would compliment Trump on the wisdom of FIRST seating Kav, and NEXT seating the woman.

As much as real conservatives like to criticize politicians, it is a very difficult specialized set of skills.

Lindsey Graham and Mitch McConnell have been demonstrating that.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 07:15:21 pm »
Why must this be said at this time? Couldn't it have been saved for next week?

My thought too.  Kavanaugh IS the candidate, and I'm not sure why Sasse feels it necessary to say this now.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 07:19:13 pm »
   Sandra Day O'Conner wasn't too bad.

She wasn't too bad but I wouldn't call her a great justice.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 07:21:55 pm »
There are some good ones.  Janice Rogers Brown would have been great.  Amy Coney Barrett would be awesome.  It's just that she may have the same issue as Janice Rogers Brown -- to staunch and outspoken a conservative.

Sandra Day O'Connor may have been the worst of the past 40 years.  There were some that were further to the left, but she was the queen of legislating from the bench rather than drawing clear, justiciable standards based on the Constitution.

You are undoubtedly right in saying there are some good ones.  I just don't like women Justices and I think the percentage of good ones in the last bunch of years has been, well, zero.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 07:24:58 pm »
So, some who have said very offensive things about Trump now find fault with Sasse's largely harmless comments. My gosh, it was a discussion on the floor of the Senate.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 07:27:22 pm »
So, some who have said very offensive things about Trump now find fault with Sasse's largely harmless comments. My gosh, it was a discussion on the floor of the Senate.

They were not harmless.  They were Sasse trying to get some press and show himself to support women, which is a total virtue today for some people.

He made a remark that was unnecessary and cast a little shade on Kavanaugh as being the best candidate which he is.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 07:27:45 pm »
I hope he isn't the Flake apprentice.  We need independent thinkers on the right, but not every thought needs to be shared.