Author Topic: Prosecution of Woman Who Rescued Animals Amid Hurricane Florence Shows No Good Deed Goes Unpunished  (Read 478 times)

rangerrebew

Prosecution of Woman Who Rescued Animals Amid Hurricane Florence Shows No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Amanda Botts / John-Michael Seibler / October 01, 2018

During Hurricane Florence, a North Carolina woman, Tammie Hedges, graciously took more than two dozen animals into a warehouse that she is converting into an animal shelter.

Using supplies purchased with private donations, Hedges offered the space—as part of her nonprofit, no-kill animal shelter, Crazy’s Claws N’ Paws—for animals to stay in while their owners evacuated.

Hedges and volunteers stated that the animals were “to be returned to their owners after the storm.”

One might expect heartwarming stories of the animals Hedges helped, or perhaps her nomination for an animal caretaker “hero award.”

https://www.dailysignal.com//print?post_id=440767

Offline verga

Time would better be spent prosecuting the people that left the animals behind.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The Wayne County District Attorney’s Office deserves kudos for dropping the charges against Hedges on Sept. 25.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

If you're staying at a shelter, you can't take your animals. 

Offline thackney

During Hurricane Harvey, some shelters opened to include pets.  Our church took us in one night with my Father-in-Laws small dog.

https://abc13.com/pets-animals/harvey-tested-co-sheltering-pets-with-their-families/4014007/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline verga

You sure don't leave them chained up to drown.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

Amen to that!
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

I thought that was changing after the horror stories from Harvey. I remember some shelters caring for pets. It is the right thing to do.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
You sure don't leave them chained up to drown.

No, but no one here suggested that you would.   :shrug:

And, mine would go with me wherever I went.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
From the source article (title doesn't make this clear):

"Fortunately, this story has a silver lining.

The Wayne County District Attorney’s Office deserves kudos for dropping the charges against Hedges on Sept. 25.

In a statement, District Attorney Matthew Delbridge noted that Hedges has “previously been censured for the unauthorized practice of veterinary medicine” and claimed that, this time, Hedges was “taking advantage of a dire situation to solicit money and opioid narcotics.”

But “having ensured the safety of the animals in question,” Delbridge added, “a dismissal of these criminal charges will minimize further distraction from my core mission of protecting the public from violent crime.”

It will also “allow the North Carolina Veterinary Medical Board to take whatever action they may deem appropriate.”

Whether or not the board seeks to enjoin Hedges from giving other animals basic medical care, or takes some other administrative action, the district attorney’s office has done the right thing by dropping the charges against Hedges."