Author Topic: World Court orders U.S. to ensure Iran sanctions don't hit humanitarian aid  (Read 595 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

World Court orders U.S. to ensure Iran sanctions don't hit humanitarian aid
Reuters, Oct 3, 2018

THE HAGUE (Reuters) - The World Court ordered the United States on Wednesday to ensure that sanctions against Iran do not impact humanitarian aid or civil aviation safety.

Judges at the International Court Of Justice handed a victory to Tehran, which had argued that sanctions imposed since May by the administration of U.S. President Donald Trump violate the terms of a 1955 Treaty of Amity between the two countries.

The ruling is likely to have at most limited practical impact on the implementation of sanctions, which Washington is reimposing and tightening after pulling out of a 2015 nuclear deal that Iran signed with world powers.

The ICJ is the United Nations’ highest court for resolving disputes between nations. Its rulings are binding, but it has no power to enforce them, and both the United States and Iran have effectively ignored its decisions in the past in cases they have brought against each other.

The court found that assurances offered by Washington in August that it would do its best to ensure sanctions would not affect humanitarian conditions were “not adequate to address fully the humanitarian and safety concerns raised” by Iran.

More:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iran-nuclear-usa-sanctions/world-court-to-rule-on-iran-plea-to-lift-us-sanctions-idUSKCN1MD0OJ

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
When did we become part of the World Court?  Didn't we pull out of it a couple decades ago?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
When did we become part of the World Court?  Didn't we pull out of it a couple decades ago?

The International Court of Justice (abbreviated ICJ; commonly referred to as the World Court) it is the principal judicial organ of the United Nations (UN). It settles legal disputes between member states and gives advisory opinions to authorized UN organs and specialized agencies. It comprises a panel of 15 judges elected by the General Assembly and Security Council for nine-year terms. It is seated in the Peace Palace in The Hague, Netherlands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Court_of_Justice

In other words It ain't worth spit!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Court_of_Justice

In other words It ain't worth spit!

Maybe the UN will throw us out?  Oh, please Brer Fox.... :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Maybe the UN will throw us out?  Oh, please Brer Fox.... :laugh:

We ain't that lucky!  22222frying pan

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline kidd

Its rulings are binding, but it has no power to enforce them

It has less than no power. The United States pays a huge chunk of the UN bills

Offline dfwgator

How many divisions does the World Court have?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"World Court orders U.S. to ensure Iran sanctions don't hit humanitarian aid"

I prepared this reply without reading further than the title line.

Tell the "World Court" to.... stuff it.