Author Topic: Kavanaugh’s 1983 Letter Offers Inside Look at High School Clique  (Read 1295 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
By Kate Kelly and David Enrich

Oct. 2, 2018

The beachfront property was rented, the guests were invited and an ever-organized Brett M. Kavanaugh had some advice for the seven Georgetown Preparatory School classmates who would be joining him for the weeklong escapade.

In a 1983 letter, a copy of which was reviewed by The New York Times, the young Judge Kavanaugh warned his friends of the danger of eviction from an Ocean City, Md., condo. In a neatly written postscript, he added: Whoever arrived first at the condo should “warn the neighbors that we’re loud, obnoxious drunks with prolific pukers among us. Advise them to go about 30 miles...”

More than three decades later, the elite, privileged high school world that Judge Kavanaugh inhabited is the focus of international attention. He has been accused of sexual assault during his time at Georgetown Prep — claims that have delayed, and threatened to derail, his confirmation to the Supreme Court. Judge Kavanaugh denies the allegations.

more...long
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/02/us/brett-kavanaugh-georgetown-prep.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Kavanaugh’s 1983 Letter Offers Inside Look at High School Clique
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 11:22:54 pm »
Don't. Effin. Care.
So tired of this drama.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:28:22 pm »
Big frigging news. Of ultimate importance. Just stop, media.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 11:52:05 pm »
This is absurd.  Apparently, BK was a typical 1980s high school kid who drank beer and liked to party.  So what?  Who cares?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 11:56:41 pm »

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 12:00:06 am »
Two or more of my fraternity brothers, became Superior Court judges.

Our chapter was notorious, for the extreme party atmosphere. Late 60s. Young males were held in good esteem then, since 58,000 of them were getting killed in Vietnam. Why not have ew beers, before the draaft notice cama fe in the mail?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 12:16:07 am »
   I don't envy all these people that actually remember what they did back in High School/College.  I smoked dope to make sure I wouldn't remember.

Signed,
   Clear Conscience
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 12:17:31 am »
The Democrats and whoever is holding their puppet strings are getting desperate.  The stories from the three chippies they dug up are fizzling.  The alleged anonymous letter produced by Kamala Harris is likely phony and even if it's real, the allegations in that letter can't be proven.  So their lackeys in the media has been tasked with finding any tidbit of tomfoolery Judge Kavanaugh *MIGHT* have participated in since first grade and this is what they've come up with. 

The only people who care about this nonsense are the Jerry Springer/Maury fans.  For the rest of us -- who cares? 

By the way, I wonder what those who are sitting in judgment of Judge Kavanaugh did when they were young.  How many of them got stinking drunk at wild parties when they went to college?  How many of them had pre-marital sex, maybe with more than one partner?  How many of them were hauled away in a squad car for some kind of fight or other mischief?   How many of them had to call their parents to bail them out or "fix" whatever trouble they got into?   I don't think any of these senators or any of those clucking hens on tv or in the newspapers were pure as the driven snow in their youth. How many of them are drunken bums even today? 

So how dare they get all pious and point fingers at the Judge and say because he*MIGHT* have sewn some wild oats in high school or college, he isn't qualified to join SCOTUS?  Hypocrites. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 12:21:50 am »
I was so anxious to get out of high school I sure as heck don't want to read about someone else's HS experience.

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 01:14:56 am »
   I was so anxious @Sanguine  I dropped out my sophomore year, bummed around for a couple of years, avoiding jail somehow, then joined the USAF, same thing in college UofH 4 years later, dropped out after 2 years, no degree. 
   Still have dreams about not being able to find my locker in HS, though~50 years later, what's up with that?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 01:24:31 am »
   I was so anxious @Sanguine  I dropped out my sophomore year, bummed around for a couple of years, avoiding jail somehow, then joined the USAF, same thing in college UofH 4 years later, dropped out after 2 years, no degree. 
   Still have dreams about not being able to find my locker in HS, though~50 years later, what's up with that?

Do you also have the one where you arrive at school without your shoes?   :shrug:

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 01:26:43 am »
Do you also have the one where you arrive at school without your shoes?   :shrug:

I have the one where I left my purse in class.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 01:31:14 am »
I have the one where I left my purse in class.

I usually have trouble finding my classes in my dreams.  Corbe is right, it's weird how something that happened so long ago can still give us uncomfortable dreams.

Offline corbe

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 01:41:02 am »
   They just keep adding more hallways just as I think I have finally found my locker, in my dream, and of course pride prevents me from asking anybody 'Where the he11 am I'? 
   Then I see sunshine through a distant door and just head that way for a 'smoke'.
   Rinse/Repeat.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 01:43:36 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

Some of you wrote about losing things, not being able to find something.
That brought to my mind a story about JRandomFrepper, Johnny, on FR.
Not many years ago, on New Year's Eve, he was at a party held by neighbors.
The next morning, he couldn't find the pants he wore to the party.
He found them on the roof of their house.
He didn't remember how they got there.

f you knew Johnny on FR, you know that story is true - Johnny was different than any person on earth.  I was with him through his cancer and with him the day before he died.  I dedicated my emergency book to him.  He taught me many things about growing food.  I even grew tobacco from seeds he sent me. I still have some of them. Those seeds are like dust. You can't see the individual seeds.  You just put a bit of dust on the top of the growing soil you are using, add a bit of water and up come the plants.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:56:55 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline verga

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 03:00:14 pm »
BKMK
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline verga

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 03:01:32 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

f you knew Johnny on FR, you know that story is true - Johnny was different than any person on earth.  I was with him through his cancer and with him the day before he died.  I dedicated my emergency book to him.  He taught me many things about growing food.  I even grew tobacco from seeds he sent me. I still have some of them. Those seeds are like dust. You can't see the individual seeds.  You just put a bit of dust on the top of the growing soil you are using, add a bit of water and up come the plants.
He was an odd duck, but that didn't give anyone reason to treat him as badly as some members of TOS did.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 10:43:25 pm »
Consider the source:
NYT
Read no further.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 10:53:39 pm »

Mine's in Jr. High.

Then I have to take a final, but can't find the room and have never attended class, have no idea where my book is and wander around the school.

I think being in school must have traumatized all of us.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 11:14:27 pm »
Mine's in Jr. High.

Then I have to take a final, but can't find the room and have never attended class, have no idea where my book is and wander around the school.

I think being in school must have traumatized all of us.
"I think being in school must have traumatized all of us."

Think about it. For many thousands of years children either stayed at home and worked on the farm or some other job. It's only the last few hundred years that all children were expected to go to some building, sit in a desk for long periods of time listening to some adult blather about various things, and only given short periods of time to eat or exercise.
For many kids school is mental and/or physical torture (sitting at a desk staying quiet and paying attention without squirming) no matter the (hopefully) positive result after twelve or more years.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:15:39 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Major Confusion

• If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 11:22:24 pm »
My worst dream, and I had this one several times in college, was that I had signed up for a course and forgotten about it until after the midterm, when there was no way I could successfully pass the course.  Never had the one about showing up naked, but only had a couple of the big lecture hall classes. 

Still drank too much.  No dope, though...the ROTC department wouldn't have approved of that...but man, did we drink!    :beer:
If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.

Offline Major Confusion

• If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 11:24:41 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

I remember Johnny from my time(s) at TOS.  Glad I'm here now.  RIP.....
If you don't like my opinion, Byte Me.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 11:34:46 pm »
I remember Johnny from my time(s) at TOS.  Glad I'm here now.  RIP.....

Glad you're here too.   :beer:

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 12:05:37 am »
The part that will be used of this letter is this....

Quote from: letter
"I think we are unanimous that any girls we can beg to stay there are welcomed with open ....

Surprised the article didn't make more "to do" about this quote.

Also, it does defend one point, memory serves me that Kav pointed out that he had a "weak" stomach. This letter confirms that.

----------------------------------

Dream recollection... just that I am in class (HS or College) with a lot of well groomed intelligent people and I don't have the first clue about the subject material being presented in class. Fear of being the dummy I guess.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:08:16 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....