Author Topic: Senate panel schedules Friday morning vote for Kavanaugh  (Read 3079 times)

Offline RetBobbyMI

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline bilo

Re: Senate panel schedules Friday morning vote for Kavanaugh
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2018, 12:13:04 am »
It'll have to be on Monday. Too many of them will still be drunk from Friday night on Saturday.

Hey, leave the Rats on the bar floors they made up their minds before the nominee was picked.

You posted earlier this week that you thought Grassley was doing a great job. Is that still your assessment? I think he really screwed up and thank the Lord it was Kavanaugh who saved the day. It should never have come to this.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2018, 12:13:16 am »
I think Saturday. The committee votes tomorrow.

In the unlikely event he doesn't pass the committee, I hope the full Senate votes Saturday. End the sham.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline bilo

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2018, 12:14:27 am »
In the unlikely event he doesn't pass the committee, I hope the full Senate votes Saturday. End the sham.

:amen:
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2018, 12:16:53 am »
Hey, leave the Rats on the bar floors they made up their minds before the nominee was picked.

You posted earlier this week that you thought Grassley was doing a great job. Is that still your assessment? I think he really screwed up and thank the Lord it was Kavanaugh who saved the day. It should never have come to this.

I'll give Gassbag a pass. They took the wind out of Fords circus having that dud with an absurd hairdut interview her just enough to make her look stupid and let Kav light the Rat's asses on fire with that blow torch opening. He also kept order this afternoon.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2018, 12:17:59 am »
There was a very noticible effort by the Democrats to delay this by one week.   Remember all the "will you give the FBI 1 week"?   That was because the Supreme Court is clearing the case load that is before them in early October, and they do not want him on the bench in Time to add his vote to any of those cases.

They were desperately trying to push the vote past the midterms to take the pressure off dems running for re-election in red states.  They failed and the final vote will reflect that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2018, 12:18:22 am »

End the sham? On Crapitol Hill? Are you serious?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2018, 01:25:10 am »
My wife is only moderately interested in Politics. This whole shebang has got her thoroughly disgusted. She actuqally told me she wanted to slap DiFi, Harris, and Hirono. Or as she refers to them The B!TCHES.

Your wife has that right.  And they have no shame.  None.  Ted Cruz was criticizing how long this information was kept from the committee and DiFi was outraged that she could be questioned.  She is the Queen Bee.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2018, 01:51:26 am »
240B wrote:
"The Republicans insist on playing by the rules and by assuming that both sides have good intentions. It is like they cannot grasp that the Democrats have no rules and no 'law'. They have no honor and no dignity. They believe that lying cheating and whatever they have to do to win is always justified. I hope the Republicans have finally gotten the message about who and what they are dealing with. But I doubt it."

Why won't more here admit:
THIS IS WAR.

No actual gunpowder yet (hmm, what about Steve Scalise?), but "war by other means" (to steal a phrase from von Clausewitz).

Until Mr. Trump came along, no one was really fighting back.

Now at least a few are. If even Lindsey Graham can see this, no doubt more will understand it soon.

Yet this is only the beginning -- it's going to get far worse before it gets better -- IF it is to "get better" at all.

From what I've read in other threads, it looks like Corker and Flake have stepped on board the confirmation train. The nomination will be moved tomorrow to the full Senate for a floor vote.

Although it's still uncertain whether Collins and Murkowski will vote aye -- I'd say the odds still are no better than 50/50 -- they may not matter any more.

Without them, we have 49 votes, right?

I think we can at least count on Manchin to vote aye to save his skin.

That makes 50.

And Mike Pence "breaks the tie" with 51.

Done.
I'll take a victory of one vote.

I hope Judge Kavanaugh's trial-by-fire will harden him to conservatism for his entire tenure on the Court.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 01:53:29 am by Fishrrman »

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2018, 05:43:42 am »
They were desperately trying to push the vote past the midterms to take the pressure off dems running for re-election in red states.  They failed and the final vote will reflect that.
EARLY and absentee voting starts within a couple weeks, so that is their dilemma
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2018, 12:13:43 pm »
240B wrote:
"The Republicans insist on playing by the rules and by assuming that both sides have good intentions. It is like they cannot grasp that the Democrats have no rules and no 'law'. They have no honor and no dignity. They believe that lying cheating and whatever they have to do to win is always justified. I hope the Republicans have finally gotten the message about who and what they are dealing with. But I doubt it."

Why won't more here admit:
THIS IS WAR.

No actual gunpowder yet (hmm, what about Steve Scalise?), but "war by other means" (to steal a phrase from von Clausewitz).

Until Mr. Trump came along, no one was really fighting back.

Now at least a few are. If even Lindsey Graham can see this, no doubt more will understand it soon.

Yet this is only the beginning -- it's going to get far worse before it gets better -- IF it is to "get better" at all.

From what I've read in other threads, it looks like Corker and Flake have stepped on board the confirmation train. The nomination will be moved tomorrow to the full Senate for a floor vote.

Although it's still uncertain whether Collins and Murkowski will vote aye -- I'd say the odds still are no better than 50/50 -- they may not matter any more.

Without them, we have 49 votes, right?

I think we can at least count on Manchin to vote aye to save his skin.

That makes 50.

And Mike Pence "breaks the tie" with 51.

Done.
I'll take a victory of one vote.

I hope Judge Kavanaugh's trial-by-fire will harden him to conservatism for his entire tenure on the Court.

I'd take that victory too, to win by 51 or 100 aye votes is still a victory.