Author Topic: Orrin Hatch attacks 'smear campaign' against Kavanaugh, urges swift vote  (Read 676 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Orrin Hatch attacks 'smear campaign' against Kavanaugh, urges swift vote
by Susan Ferrechio
 | September 24, 2018 01:30 PM

Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, who is a top member of the Senate Judiciary Committee and its former chairman, called the latest sexual assault claim against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh part of a politically motivated smear campaign.

Hatch, who is retiring this year, said the committee should hold a hearing with one accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, and then vote.

Democrats, he said, are using a "thinly sourced" New Yorker article released Sunday night as an excuse to keep delaying the confirmation process.

"We should hear from Dr. Ford on Thursday as planned," Hatch said. "Then we should vote."

Here is Hatch's full statement:
Last night, Senate Democrats continued their smear campaign against Judge Brett Kavanaugh with a thinly sourced article accusing Judge Kavanaugh of conduct that no eyewitness can even corroborate. Rather than bringing the matter to the attention of committee investigators, Democrats coordinated with members of the media to drop the story in the most dramatic and damaging way possible. This continues Senate Democrats’ pattern of playing hide the ball, after they spent six weeks sitting on a letter regarding alleged conduct while Judge Kavanaugh was in high school before leaking it to the press.

Senate Democrats will stop at nothing to prevent Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation. As reported by the author of last night’s article, the individual in the piece came forward only because Senate Democrats “came looking.” And even then, the individual went on the record only after “six days of carefully assessing her memories and consulting with her attorney,” a former Democratic elected official. The New York Times, which declined to publish the allegations when approached, reported that it had interviewed “several dozen people in an attempt to corroborate the story” and could find “no one with firsthand knowledge.” The Times further reported that the individual in the story had contacted former classmates herself in an effort to corroborate the story and had “told some of them that she could not be certain Mr. Kavanaugh was the one who exposed himself.”

Unsurprisingly, Senate Democrats are now using last night’s article as an excuse to call for further delays. This follows the same approach they have taken since Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination was first announced. No innuendo has been too low, no insinuation too dirty. Everything is an excuse for delay, no matter how unsubstantiated. It does not matter that no other eyewitness can even confirm that Judge Kavanaugh was at the party in question. It does not matter that every other individual alleged to be present denies any memory of the event. The goal is delay.

It should be clear now to all Americans that Democrats are engaged in a coordinated effort to stop Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation by any means possible. As I have said before, every accuser deserves to be heard. Moreover, a person who has committed sexual assault should not serve on the Supreme Court. But the way my Democratic colleagues have approached these allegations makes clear that the driving objective here is not truth, but politics. Rather than working with Republican colleagues to investigate Dr. Ford’s allegations, they sat on them for six weeks until the eve of Judge Kavanaugh’s confirmation vote and then leaked them to the press. Rather than bringing last night’s allegations to the attention of committee investigators, they back-channeled them to the media and then denied any involvement. Such underhanded tactics are not fair to Judge Kavanaugh, are not fair to the individuals in the stories, and are not fair to the American people. Senate Democrats are demeaning both the Senate and the Supreme Court through their partisan games and transparent attempts at character assassination. We should hear from Dr. Ford on Thursday as planned. Then we should vote.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/orrin-hatch-attacks-smear-campaign-against-kavanaugh-urges-swift-vote
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:11:06 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: Orrin Hatch attacks 'smear campaign' against Kavanaugh, urges swift vote
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 06:06:19 pm »
Absolutely spot on. Stop the nonsense
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 06:07:24 pm »
"Thinly sourced?"  How about "fabricated?"

Otherwise, I agree with Sen. Hatch.  Enough is enough.  Hear Ms. Ford, then vote by the end of the week. 

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 06:09:11 pm »

Great statement by Orrin... hope Grassley and the rest of the Republicans heed him.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 06:30:57 pm »
Finally. A word from our side.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 06:34:29 pm »

:amen: ASAP!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 06:59:36 pm »
"Thinly sourced?"  How about "fabricated?"

Otherwise, I agree with Sen. Hatch.  Enough is enough.  Hear Ms. Ford, then vote by the end of the week.

Unfortunately, she will be treated with kid gloves.

I learned over 45 years ago that liberals should be met with unrelenting fire...it's the only thing they understand.

My last two months of HS were miserable, my crime was that I accepted a 4 Year Army ROTC scholarship at a HS 15 miles south of Berkeley. The senior class president sat behind me in calculus, ridiculing me every day before class, saying I was a sell-out, among other things. He wasn't the worst, I even had teachers say to my face how "disappointed" they were in me.

About a week before school ended, he came in looking clean cut, with his hair shorn. When questioned, he said he got the hair cut for a job at Sears. I turned his words on him for a good ten minutes, extending my righteous anger on him a good five minutes into class. The teacher finally stepped in when he saw I was running out of gas...he was thrilled that I chose to matriculate at Gonzaga, as he was a former Jesuit priest who taught at Marquette.

I've mellowed a bit over the years, but I still have no problems letting liberals know when they're full of it...Gonzaga prepared me well for the world outside academia. I didn't realize it until I read Atlas Shrugged, where Francisco d'Anconia told Hank Rearden that he was giving him the words he will need for the moment he will need them (i.e., the "Money Speech", in the chapter entitled "The Aristocracy of Pull").

I had professors in varied disciplines that helped me develop my critical thinking skills, to express my thoughts logically and intelligently...at least, most of the time.   :rolling:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 07:01:43 pm »

When a RBG fan like Orrin steps up for the nominee you know things are looking up.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 07:22:28 pm »
Wow ... could our side be awake ... finally?!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 07:23:17 pm »
What does RBG stand for?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 07:27:10 pm »
What does RBG stand for?

Probably a reference to Ruth Bader Ginsburg but her connection to Orrin Hatch remains clouded in the mysteries of skeeter's mind. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline skeeter

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 07:32:45 pm »
Probably a reference to Ruth Bader Ginsburg but her connection to Orrin Hatch remains clouded in the mysteries of skeeter's mind.

See Orrin Hatch (2003), Square Peg: Confessions of a Citizen Senator, Basic Books, p. 180, ISBN 0465028675

And here I thought you were well-read, @Jazzhead
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:34:06 pm by skeeter »

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 07:33:00 pm »
Thanks, @Jazzhead

You know, I’ll be 67 next month and damn it, I hate the internet for butchering the written word.

What the heck is wrong with just taking a few extra seconds to fully spell out words? Heck, just use the dictation function on your device if you’re that lazy!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 07:35:23 pm »
Thanks, @Jazzhead

You know, I’ll be 67 next month and damn it, I hate the internet for butchering the written word.

What the heck is wrong with just taking a few extra seconds to fully spell out words? Heck, just use the dictation function on your device if you’re that lazy!

JFK musta sent you into fits. :cool:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 07:36:00 pm »
...not razzing you specifically, @skeeter 

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 07:41:43 pm »
Thanks, @Jazzhead

@aligncare

I'll be 70 this Sunday.  You should see me trying to decipher some of the text messages I recieve from younger folks.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 07:50:27 pm »
...not razzing you specifically, @skeeter
@aligncare @Bigun
I ain’t too far behind either one of you guys and I too have problems with relentless acronymization these days. Idk iow jk... agh

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 08:31:38 pm »
Just started under Medicare myself, so I guess that means some Obama rum death panel has my name. That make me feel like Kavanaugh with all his slut accusers.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 08:39:07 pm »
@aligncare @Bigun
I ain’t too far behind either one of you guys and I too have problems with relentless acronymization these days. Idk iow jk... agh

@skeeter

Huh??

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 09:09:45 pm »
@skeeter

Huh??

IDK I don't know

IOW In other words

JK Just kidding

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 09:45:52 pm »
IDK I don't know

IOW In other words

JK Just kidding

@skeeter

Thanks!   

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline bilo

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 10:05:17 pm »
Unfortunately, she will be treated with kid gloves.

I learned over 45 years ago that liberals should be met with unrelenting fire...it's the only thing they understand.

My last two months of HS were miserable, my crime was that I accepted a 4 Year Army ROTC scholarship at a HS 15 miles south of Berkeley. The senior class president sat behind me in calculus, ridiculing me every day before class, saying I was a sell-out, among other things. He wasn't the worst, I even had teachers say to my face how "disappointed" they were in me.

About a week before school ended, he came in looking clean cut, with his hair shorn. When questioned, he said he got the hair cut for a job at Sears. I turned his words on him for a good ten minutes, extending my righteous anger on him a good five minutes into class. The teacher finally stepped in when he saw I was running out of gas...he was thrilled that I chose to matriculate at Gonzaga, as he was a former Jesuit priest who taught at Marquette.

I've mellowed a bit over the years, but I still have no problems letting liberals know when they're full of it...Gonzaga prepared me well for the world outside academia. I didn't realize it until I read Atlas Shrugged, where Francisco d'Anconia told Hank Rearden that he was giving him the words he will need for the moment he will need them (i.e., the "Money Speech", in the chapter entitled "The Aristocracy of Pull").

I had professors in varied disciplines that helped me develop my critical thinking skills, to express my thoughts logically and intelligently...at least, most of the time.   :rolling:

Love your entire post!

You're right, the only way to deal with liberals is to shoot right back at them and never let up. Anita Hill is a great example of what happens when we take the "high road". People today actually believe she is a serious person that should be listened to. Anyone who followed the Thomas confirmation knows she was nuts. The same thing should happen to this Ford woman. She should be the butt of our jokes for the next 30 years.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home