Author Topic: Trump reportedly told Mattis: 'You don't need a strategy to kill people'  (Read 420 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump reportedly told Mattis: 'You don't need a strategy to kill people'
by Travis J. Tritten
 | September 06, 2018 12:49 PM

President Trump dressed down Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and top military leaders last summer about the stalemate in Afghanistan and told them “you don’t need a strategy to kill people,” according to Bob Woodward’s new book.

The president also criticized the former U.S. commander in Afghanistan, Gen. John Nicholson, and questioned whether he was a “winner” during the July 20, 2017 classified meeting in the Pentagon’s secure briefing room called the Tank.

“When are we going to start winning some wars? We've got these charts. When are we going to win some wars? Why are you jamming this down my throat?” Trump reportedly said. “You should be killing guys. You don't need a strategy to kill people.”

The meeting came as the administration was struggling to put together a new strategy for the 16-year-old war in Afghanistan. The following month, Trump announced his strategy giving commanders more troops and leeway to assist Afghan forces.

Nicholson had been overseeing a strategy handed down by the Obama administration, which drew down the military presence in the country to about 8,400 troops in hopes of ending what had become the longest war in U.S. history.

“I don't think he knows how to win. I don't know if he's a winner. There's no victories,” Trump told Mattis and a room full of officials including Gen. Joseph Dunford, the Joint Chiefs chairman, and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/trump-reportedly-told-jim-mattis-you-dont-need-a-strategy-to-kill-people

:facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:02:01 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline endicom

Re: Trump reportedly told Mattis: 'You don't need a strategy to kill people'
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 08:24:21 pm »

Trump reportedly adds hot pepper to his Preparation H. "It keeps me mean."

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 09:54:03 pm »
More so called "news" Articles.... More lies. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 10:12:53 pm »
What’s up with the Washington Examiner? They’ve been on a tear over Trump.

As for journalistic substance: Where’s the beef? There’s nothing here but filler for lefty rubes.

Offline Fantom

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 10:49:31 pm »

Well, technically...killing people is a tactical consideration.

Now killing LOTS of people could be a Strategic decision.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass