Author Topic: Archaeologists dig Native American fort found in Connecticut  (Read 606 times)

rangerrebew

Archaeologists dig Native American fort found in Connecticut
« on: August 30, 2018, 01:18:56 pm »
Archaeologists dig Native American fort found in Connecticut
8/29/2018 06:00:00 PM

A 1600s Native American fort uncovered as part of a rail bridge replacement project is shining some light on a tribe’s first dealings with Europeans, archeologists said on Tuesday during a tour of the site.

The find on a small sliver of land next to railroad tracks that carry Amtrak and Metro-North commuter trains is considered one of the most important discoveries in the Northeast for Native American history.

Not only did experts recently find the remains of the 17th century fort, they discovered some artifacts including arrow and spear tips that date back an estimated 3,000 years, indicating Native Americans were active at the site for generations. No evidence of human remains has been found.

Read more at https://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2018/08/archaeologists-dig-native-american-fort.html#IaMHtV3UC6KKFlb2.99

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Archaeologists dig Native American fort found in Connecticut
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 01:25:11 am »
"He said it appears the Norwalk Indians, a tribe that historians know little about, had a fort at the site from about 1615 to 1640 and used it to trade goods with early Dutch settlers. The site is on a small sliver of land next to railroad tracks that carry Amtrak and Metro-North commuter trains. A 19th century history of Norwalk mentions an old Native American fort, and a road near the site is still named Fort Point Street."

I lived at 2 Fort Point Street for a couple of years (age 12-13). My parents rented the bottom floor of one of the oldest houses in East Norwalk, built in 1812, since torn down.

I probably walked right over the ground they're digging up now.

Ran trains across the old bridge (that's due to be replaced) for much of my career on the railroad.

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 01:51:57 am »
Very cool story!
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 02:57:34 am »
One of my gx grandfathers was THeophilus, Eaton (1590-1658). A shareholder in the Massachusetts Bay Co, and first Governor of New Haven Colony CT.

A Farmer, merchant, puritan, son of Vicar back in Merreye Olde.

fairly important dude. Tied in with King Charles I, who shed his heade for the cause.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln