Author Topic: FDA Extends EpiPen Expiration to Tackle Shortage  (Read 629 times)

rangerrebew

FDA Extends EpiPen Expiration to Tackle Shortage
« on: August 22, 2018, 05:15:46 pm »

FDA Extends EpiPen Expiration to Tackle Shortage

Aug. 21, 2018 -- The expiration dates of certain batches of EpiPens have been extended by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in an effort to reduce shortages of the life-saving devices.

They auto-inject the drug epinephrine in order to reverse life-threatening allergic reactions.

The FDA said Tuesday that it has extended by four months the expiration dates of specific lots of 0.3 milligram EpiPens that are expired or close to expiring. The extension beyond the approved 20-month shelf life is based on data provided by EpiPen maker Mylan and reviewed by the FDA.

https://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20180821/fda-extends-epipen-expiration-to-tackle-shortage

Offline thackney

Re: FDA Extends EpiPen Expiration to Tackle Shortage
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 05:39:03 pm »
and....

F.D.A. Approves Generic EpiPen That May Be Cheaper
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/health/epipen-generic-drug-prices.html

...The generic copy is made by Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, and will rival Mylan, which had come under intense criticism for raising the price of its EpiPen sixfold since buying it in 2007. Mylan’s device has been plagued by periodic shortages, with consumers scrambling again in recent months to find a reliable supply....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 06:14:59 pm »
So the shelf life of an Epi-pen is actually up to 20 months longer than the use by date.   Are you as shocked as I am.  Would Joe Manchins little daughter pull the wool over the consumers eyes?

Nah. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 06:16:27 pm »
So the shelf life of an Epi-pen is actually up to 20 months longer than the use by date.   Are you as shocked as I am.  Would Joe Manchins little daughter pull the wool over the consumers eyes?

Nah.

It is listed as 20 months, they are saying good for 24 months, not an additional 20 months.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 06:19:38 pm »
It is listed as 20 months, they are saying good for 24 months, not an additional 20 months.

Ah my bad. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.