Author Topic: New research suggests evolution might favor 'survival of the laziest'  (Read 360 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Millennials  are overjoyed with new study findings. 

If you've got an unemployed, 30-year-old adult child still living in the basement, fear not.

A new large-data study of fossil and extant bivalves and gastropods in the Atlantic Ocean suggests laziness might be a fruitful strategy for survival of individuals, species and even communities of species. The results have just been published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B by a research team based at the University of Kansas.

Looking at a period of roughly 5 million years from the mid-Pliocene to the present, the researchers analyzed 299 species' metabolic rates—or, the amount of energy the organisms need to live their daily lives—and found higher metabolic rates were a reliable predictor of extinction likelihood.

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-evolution-favor-survival-laziest.html
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
Re: New research suggests evolution might favor 'survival of the laziest'
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 12:20:03 pm »
I can confirm this finding - I don't have as many hummingbirds visiting my feeders this year...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA