Author Topic: What Does It Mean To Be Conservative? (Erickson)  (Read 2748 times)

Online corbe

What Does It Mean To Be Conservative? (Erickson)
« on: August 03, 2018, 03:38:14 pm »
What Does It Mean To Be Conservative?

by Erick Erickson
5 hrs

We need to have these conversations. We will start them today in Texas.

I am in Austin, TX to have a conversation with conservatives about conservatism and public policy. I am calling this conversation the “Resurgent Gathering” as conservatives spend two days explore how to spark a conservative resurgence in the country. What does it mean, in the 21st century, to be a conservative? In the age of political cults of personality, some would argue that it means standing with President Trump at all costs. But just seventeen years ago, many of those same people said the same about George W. Bush.

One of President Bush’s former advisers claimed the President had said conservatism was whatever he wanted it to be. Media defenders of his profligate domestic spending coined the phrase “big government conservatism.” They claimed President Bush would use the government for conservative ends. Instead, government dependency grew, the national debt grew, and the government bailed out both banks and General Motors.

Conservatives are having the same arguments again with President Trump. We are on the verge of the one year deficit reaching $1 trillion after Republicans railed against Barack Obama’s out of control spending. The President is up-ending free markets by not just imposing tariffs, but also $12 billion in government subsidies for farmers. But concurrently, President Trump is rolling back big government mandates on fuel standards, regulations that cripple big and small industries alike, cutting taxes, and putting constitutionally conservative jurists on the federal bench.

<..snip..>

https://www.themaven.net/theresurgent/erick-erickson/what-does-it-mean-to-be-conservative-egt3ZR9bDkCdg7LeT8GHhA/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Re: What Does It Mean To Be Conservative? (Erickson)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 03:40:55 pm »

Since this is a Resurgent Article all recipes are tolerated and even encouraged.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 03:51:34 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 04:45:56 pm »

Since this is a Resurgent Article all recipes are tolerated and even encouraged.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 05:09:26 pm »
Trump never ran as a conventional small government conservative though, some federal jobs and red tape have been cut. You take the good and bad.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2018, 05:12:14 pm »
Trump never ran as a conventional small government conservative though, some federal jobs and red tape have been cut. You take the good and bad.

Enjoy.

I've had my fill of doing that for over 30 years.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 05:12:20 pm »

Yes, those 3rd parties really do a lot to protect some of our Constitutional Rights.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 05:36:28 pm »

Okay.  Tell us what the hell the Constitution Party stands for.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 05:42:43 pm »
Enjoy.

I've had my fill of doing that for over 30 years. 

Why are you on this forum?  While it's certainly your right to be here, what is your point @INVAR ?  Are you trying to convince others to do something?  If so, what is it?

Or, are you here to bitch, moan and insult without consequences because your "listeners" are faceless strangers?

Really. what the heck is your deal?

Online corbe

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 05:50:12 pm »
   Actually, @Right_in_Virginia some Briefers here have asked the very same question of you, to no avail, which also is your prerogative.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 05:57:17 pm »
Why are you on this forum? 

Because I choose to be.

Deal with it.

or not.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 05:57:48 pm »
Okay.  Tell us what the hell the Constitution Party stands for.

What the Republican Party and it's leadership have abandoned.

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 07:14:42 pm »
Because I choose to be.

Deal with it.

or not.

I know you choose to be ... but why @INVAR   I'm very curious and am not judging you.  I just would love to know what your deal is because *everyone* has one---even you.

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 07:15:14 pm »
What the Republican Party and it's leadership have abandoned.

You really don't have an answer for anything.   **nononono*

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 07:19:22 pm »
   Actually, @Right_in_Virginia some Briefers here have asked the very same question of you, to no avail, which also is your prerogative.

Actually @corbe you're wrong.   Ever tire of this, dear?

Offline endicom

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 07:22:04 pm »
"What Does It Mean To Be Conservative?"

It means not knowing what it means to be conservative.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 07:47:13 pm »
I know you choose to be ... but why @INVAR   I'm very curious and am not judging you.  I just would love to know what your deal is because *everyone* has one---even you.

I have already explained it ad nauseum before on myriad threads going back two years. 

You are welcome to peruse the archives if you had any actual intent to satisfy your curiosity - which I highly doubt.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 08:12:16 pm »
Just for fun, I thought I'd try and answer the question of "What does it mean to be a Conservative?"
I'll start with a quote from the article:

"By and large, however, conservatives agree on the basics. Government that does the least, does the best. The individual is of greater value to society than the collective mob. As an individual succeeds, the nation as a whole succeeds. Power in the hands of a few is bad and collectivism is a disaster. Power in an abstract, distant government should be more limited than the powers of the representatives closest to the people. Power in the hands of the unelected is bad and should be given sparingly. Free markets coupled with free people will benefit us all better than a government picking winners and losers."

I'll add:

(1) Strict adherence to the Constitution as written, not as interpreted for the times we live in.

(2) Private property ownership, and the rights that go along with it.

(3) Statement from the Declaration of Independence, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 01:23:42 am »
You really don't have an answer for anything.   **nononono*

His answer was succinct, precise, and correct.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 01:51:05 pm »

She just didn't like his answer, that's what she does to people she doesn't agree with. Straight outta the @Right_in_Virginia playbook.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 06:11:05 pm »

Really?  So the Constitution Party's platform will be:  "We're better than the Republicans"?

:laugh:  Sheesh, you guys talk and talk but have no idea how to walk the political walk.

Good luck @roamer_1

Offline darroll

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2018, 06:18:59 pm »
Leave me alone and I will get the job done.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2018, 06:22:01 pm »
Really?  So the Constitution Party's platform will be:  "We're better than the Republicans"?

Their platform is standing immovable upon that which the Republican party had discarded and abandoned for 'playing the politics of pragmatism' with Democrats.

Sheesh, you guys talk and talk but have no idea how to walk the political walk.

We have seen how the Republican party 'talks' and then 'walks'. 

It 'talks' Conservatism to get elected then WALKS with the Liberal Democrats to help them pass their agenda and keep it in place while telling their outraged base to 'shut-up, sit down, vote for whom we tell you to vote for or get the hell out of our party'.

So we obliged.  Your party just walks a little bit differently than the Marxist Democrats, but their destination will end up being in the same place.

Online corbe

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2018, 06:48:31 pm »
   You can put Trump lipstick on an elephant, but it's still the GOP, @Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2018, 06:54:40 pm »
   You can put Trump lipstick on an elephant, but it's still the GOP, @Right_in_Virginia 

Whatever   :boring:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2018, 11:28:26 pm »

Well, no, @Right_in_Virginia - their platform is right there at https://www.constitutionparty.com/

You should peruse the 'principles' tab, because there ain't a damn thing there that a Conservative would deny. And lo and behold, under the 'principles' tab, there's their platform, plain as day.

:laugh:  Sheesh, you guys talk and talk but have no idea how to walk the political walk.

right. That's why I hung up my guns and went fishing this last season. And good riddance.
You can keep it.