Author Topic: Trump Takes Aim at 3D Printed Guns.  (Read 6142 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Trump Takes Aim at 3D Printed Guns.
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2018, 03:18:02 am »
@sneakypete
Well,technically, that is not true. All-plastic guns have been demonstrated to be able to handle some few rounds, not over a clip or two, before self-destruction. the barrel requires a machined carbon-fiber, IIRC, but I can vouch for no more than that (it's been a while).

It is still rather silly, as the rounds are still made of brass and lead, and have a stainless cap in them, all of which can certainly be detected - So the question of the plastic gun hinges not on the gun itself, but upon the creation of plastic rounds as well.
Oh, well. Back to work on the death ray.... :shrug: :smokin:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2018, 03:24:47 am »

Yeah... And ice/hamburger bullets...  :shrug: :whistle:

:beer:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2018, 03:30:00 am »
Yeah... And ice/hamburger bullets...  :shrug: :whistle:

:beer:

Get them minus the brass and cap and you're in business. :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2018, 03:31:33 am »
Get them minus the brass and cap and you're in business. :laugh:

Yeah. the answer has been there all along... Meat bullets and a plastic wrist rocket.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2018, 03:32:02 am »

A Uridium P36 Explosive Space Modulator?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2018, 03:53:50 am »

A Uridium P36 Explosive Space Modulator?
Nah, the handheld model:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2018, 04:08:00 am »
@sneakypete
Well,technically, that is not true. All-plastic guns have been demonstrated to be able to handle some few rounds, not over a clip or two, before self-destruction. the barrel requires a machined carbon-fiber, IIRC, but I can vouch for no more than that (it's been a while).

Maybe for 22 rimfires,25 ACP's,or shotguns,but plastic alone won't stand the chamber pressures of centerfire rifle cartridges unless the locking lugs for the bolt are reinforced with heat-treated steel. Trust me,you don't want to be shooting a plastic gun with a centerfire rifle cartridge in it when the locking lug recesses shear off or move back to the rear far enough to let chamber pressure expand to the rear where the magazine,your hands,and your eyes are.
It is still rather silly, as the rounds are still made of brass and lead, and have a stainless cap in them, all of which can certainly be detected - So the question of the plastic gun hinges not on the gun itself, but upon the creation of plastic rounds as well.

Yup,and I'm not even sure they use metal detectors anymore other than the little hand-held ones. AFAIK,airports use X-Ray scanners now,and even an unloaded plastic gun will show up on an xray.

This is just the Dims shrieking in horror once again to get their dummies worked up.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2018, 04:17:32 am »
... I'm not even sure they use metal detectors anymore other than the little hand-held ones. AFAIK,airports use X-Ray scanners now,and even an unloaded plastic gun will show up on an xray.

This is just the Dims shrieking in horror once again to get their dummies worked up.
Last time I flew, they picked up a little glass heart I carry in my pocket that a granddaughter gave me with that scanner. If they can pick up glass, they can pick up a plastic gun.

This is just more antigun hoopla from the usual suspects, and only something for those less knowledgeable to trip over.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2018, 05:20:19 am »
Maybe for 22 rimfires,25 ACP's,or shotguns,but plastic alone won't stand the chamber pressures of centerfire rifle cartridges [...]

@sneakypete
Well, duh. I thought you were talking about pistols that could be hidden to metal detectors... I don't think rifles are small enough to be smuggled past detection in the first place.

The thing I watched was a youtube demo, and was larger cal than 22... .38/9mm range as I recall... so yeah, still a pop gun, but heavy enough to be damage on an airplane or in a crowd or something.

Yup,and I'm not even sure they use metal detectors anymore other than the little hand-held ones. AFAIK,airports use X-Ray scanners now,and even an unloaded plastic gun will show up on an xray.

Yep.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2018, 01:36:28 pm »
@sneakypete
Well, duh. I thought you were talking about pistols that could be hidden to metal detectors... I don't think rifles are small enough to be smuggled past detection in the first place.

@roamer_1

And I thought we were primarily talking about full-auto AR receivers. Communications breakdown.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2018, 02:04:43 pm »

This is just more antigun hoopla from the usual suspects, and only something for those less knowledgeable to trip over.

That and the usual second motive, If they cant tax it or regulate it, they must ban it.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline thackney

« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2018, 03:27:11 pm »
Personally, I have more interest in a 3D printed Suppressor.

https://www.3dprintingmedia.network/3d-printed-silencers-quietly-booming/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2018, 04:00:16 pm »
Personally, I have more interest in a 3D printed Suppressor.

https://www.3dprintingmedia.network/3d-printed-silencers-quietly-booming/

@thackney

Not having any hearing left to damage,I have no interest in suppressors. I sure as hell wish I had them when younger,though.

The truth is not being able to hear quit bothering me so much when I discovered a while back after getting a hearing aide that I was better off not hearing most of it anyhow. Most people are just babbling nonsense at you anyhow,and all you have to do is smile and occasionally nod in agreement,and they will think you are the greatest guy ever,despite you not having the first clue about what they were saying.

Life is more peaceful this way,too. Less to argue about.

I would even go so far as to say that being deaf is almost a requirement for a peaceful home life if you are married.