Author Topic: How far will Facebook fall today?  (Read 490 times)

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
How far will Facebook fall today?
« on: July 26, 2018, 02:25:34 pm »
On Tuesday, I wrote that Facebook might be invincible. On Wednesday, Facebook proved me very, very wrong.

The social media giant, which has persisted through numerous public relations nightmares over the past 18 months and was riding a record-high stock price, came crashing down with an uncharacteristically bad quarterly report this week. User growth was bad. Revenue growth was just okay, and Facebook warned it will get worse.

So, investors panicked, and by the time Facebook executives were done trying to soothe concerns on their earnings call, the stock was down almost 21 percent in after-hours trading.

The bad report wasn’t the result of any one thing, but it raised an important, and scary question: Have Facebook’s missteps finally cost it?

https://recode.net/2018/7/26/17614966/facebook-q2-earnings-2018-recap-revenue-user-growth
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

Re: How far will Facebook fall today?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 04:08:52 pm »
While I won 't rejoice at Facebook's demise, I wouldn't weep over it either.  Too many crazies, too much of a security risk (including the owners disseminating your personal information).  Don't like Twitter either.  If I want to communicate with friends and family, I'll call or email them or take them out for dinner. 

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 06:19:40 pm »
FACEBOOK: One Single Activist Claims Credit For Shutting Down Largest Pro-Trump Group
Published 12 mins ago
on Jul 26, 2018
By Patrick Howley

A single activist has claimed sole responsibility for shutting down Facebook’s largest and most impactful pro-President Trump group, The Deplorables.

@Onesecondname, a self-described “highly-medicated ADHD kid” in her Twitter bio, said that her “many hours every day anonymously reporting racial/homophobic slurs” led to the group’s demise. Sadly, the offensive content in the group was the work of covert left-wing activists. Facebook ignored administrators’ pleas to help police the content or to kick out malevolent actors from the group.

🚨🚨Once again, I am going to go on record saying *I* am the person who made this happen in July 2017. Took a while, but I spent many hours every day anonymously reporting racial/homophobic slurs.

NEVER doubt your abilities. Make shit happen!https://t.co/I7zDN7k5vO

— Onesecondname (@Onesecondname) July 17, 2018
The Deplorables was at one time the most relevant pro-Trump group. Founded in the late days of the election, it quickly grew to about half a million members. I was an administrator on the group, as were many other conservative voices including Pamela Geller.

However, after a sustained effort by left-wing trolls to post racist comments in the group, it started to decline. The group’s chief administrator Dan Schwartz blamed an activist named Michael Moates for allowing trolls and fake accounts into the group, while most of the other administrators blamed Schwartz for eventually selling it for $15,000 to some kind of Macedonian troll organization. Facebook strongly resisted Schwartz’s effort to get help with tools to police the activist content.  ... More at BigLeaguePolitics.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 06:24:33 pm »
It's like getting kicked out of a UTEP football game last year
Countdown to Resignation

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 06:36:19 pm »
On Tuesday, I wrote that Facebook might be invincible. On Wednesday, Facebook proved me very, very wrong.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 07:02:58 pm »
@Onesecondname, a self-described “highly-medicated ADHD kid” in her Twitter bio, said that her “many hours every day anonymously reporting racial/homophobic slurs” led to the group’s demise. Sadly, the offensive content in the group was the work of covert left-wing activists.

That's just the sort of thing I expect. Why wouldn't it be done?