Author Topic: White House bans CNN reporter from Rose Garden event  (Read 6866 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: White House bans CNN reporter from Rose Garden event
« Reply #75 on: July 29, 2018, 04:25:39 pm »
I'm still in the "undecided" camp about the rightness of this.  The Press scrum has been getting more and more bold about seizing control and the direction of Press Conferences, and while I think that should be the case to some degree, that direction has the flavor of a hostile bias against the Right (not just against the President).

Oh, I agree they are anti-Right and anti-good.  No question.  But, I have a problem with this move: it goes against a constitutional conservative's beliefs to think that an elected official could remove a journalist because he doesn't like what they're asking.  Now, Jim Acosta has been disruptive and violated the rights of other journalists to ask questions by his hogging the floor.  Kick him out.  This journalist didn't do that.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2018, 04:27:38 pm »
Oh, I agree they are anti-Right and anti-good.  No question.  But, I have a problem with this move: it goes against a constitutional conservative's beliefs to think that an elected official could remove a journalist because he doesn't like what they're asking.  Now, Jim Acosta has been disruptive and violated the rights of other journalists to ask questions by his hogging the floor.  Kick him out.  This journalist didn't do that.

A fair enough observation, from what I can see.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2018, 04:29:13 pm »
But, I have a problem with this move: it goes against a constitutional conservative's beliefs to think that an elected official could remove a journalist because he doesn't like what they're asking. 

:bs:  When a press event is over, it's over.  Thems the rules.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2018, 04:37:12 pm »

That only makes sense if everyone else who was asking questions - and there were plenty - was also banned from the Rose Garden event.  This particular CNN reporter was singled out.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #79 on: July 29, 2018, 04:37:21 pm »

99balloon

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #80 on: July 29, 2018, 04:41:34 pm »
99balloon

Okay... If this is your best rebuttal, I'll play  :shrug:

:bighug:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 04:42:33 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Concerned

« Reply #81 on: July 29, 2018, 04:42:11 pm »

Exactly right IMO also.  Acosta is often disruptive and obnoxious, and over time, I think he’s earned being banned.  Collins was being no more rude or obnoxious than the White House press wrangler who was squeaking:     "We're done!  Let's go!  We're leaving!"

Further, and perhaps most importantly, if this White House considers questions at the end of a press event to be rude (or against some unwritten “rule”), then the President shouldn’t answer them then.  Instead, he often answers questions at the end of a press event and by doing so, I think he encourages questions being asked of him at that time.
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #82 on: July 29, 2018, 04:44:41 pm »
Okay... If this is your best rebuttal, I'll play  :shrug:

:bighug:

Hey, it was every bit as thoughtful as your comment! 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2018, 04:48:25 pm »
Hey, it was every bit as thoughtful as your comment! 

I'll give you this ... you certainly do think well of yourself.   88devil

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2018, 04:53:58 pm »

I'm afraid you have me (and everyone else) topped in that area, but here you go:   :beer:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2018, 04:57:16 pm »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2018, 05:25:45 pm »
I'm afraid you have me (and everyone else) topped in that area, but here you go:   :beer:

You've knocked me back to second place.   @Sanguine

(Thanks ... this was a fun way to kill some time.   888high58888 )

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2018, 06:35:58 pm »

I have no problem at all with this.  Reporters are not God and there are rules, written and unwritten for behavior at a press conference.

You can be tossed out of a movie theater even if you bought a ticket for rude and disruptive behavior.

These press guys and gals need to learn to behave.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2018, 06:46:40 pm »
I have no problem at all with this.  Reporters are not God and there are rules, written and unwritten for behavior at a press conference.

You can be tossed out of a movie theater even if you bought a ticket for rude and disruptive behavior.

These press guys and gals need to learn to behave.

But, they weren't in a movie theater.  They were in a press conference.  One that involved journalists asking questions.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2018, 07:10:39 pm »
But, they weren't in a movie theater.  They were in a press conference.  One that involved journalists asking questions.

Of course, but there are generally accepted standards of behavior in all situations, including pressers.  It ruins it for everybody if some reporter tries to take over the room and shout out insulting questions.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2018, 07:15:13 pm »
Oh, please.  Did the President ban all press from the rose garden event?  Do we not have news video showing us exactly what was said? 

Does not the administration have a right and a responsibility to expect a modicum of decorum from the press when in the White House?  Do not the American people have this right, too?  The First Amendment is not a hall pass for drama queens and idiots. 

This President is more available to the media in a week than Obama or Bush were in a year.  President Trump can't cross the WH lawn without answering questions, and nine times out of ten he stops and let's the press have at him.  I've stopped posting those videos here because there's no interest in what the President had to say --- so maybe you're unaware of this phenomenon.

So stand down on these silly accusations and chastisements.  The administration's reaction to the free-for-all disrespectful media -- disrespectful to the President AND his guests --- is long overdue.

I don’t think even Mike Douglas would have tried to force his gotcha questions and insinuations into a rose garden news conference (well, maybe).

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2018, 07:23:51 pm »
Of course, but there are generally accepted standards of behavior in all situations, including pressers.  It ruins it for everybody if some reporter tries to take over the room and shout out insulting questions.

One man's insulting questions is another's "need to be answered" questions.  And, as has been noted, she was no more and actually much less insulting than some of the other attendees.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2018, 07:27:10 pm »
One man's insulting questions is another's "need to be answered" questions.  And, as has been noted, she was no more and actually much less insulting than some of the other attendees.

Then maybe more reporters should have been kicked out.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2018, 07:31:04 pm »
Then maybe more reporters should have been kicked out.

****slapping  (You'll note I chose the less violent emoji)

Silver Pines

« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2018, 07:38:12 pm »

@Right_in_Virginia

No, you didn't.

Hey, I thought you were gone until Tuesday?

Silver Pines

« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2018, 07:39:01 pm »

@edpc

That event went down on my front porch a couple of weeks ago.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2018, 07:40:41 pm »
Back to the OP"  This was a "meeting with European Union (EU) commissioner Jean-Claude Junker."

Is a joint presser with a EU commissioner the appropriate venue for Stormy Daniels questions?  Maybe the Russia, Russia, Russia meme.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Silver Pines

« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2018, 07:52:36 pm »

An article from 1987:

https://www.nytimes.com/1987/10/21/us/washington-talk-the-presidency-shouting-questions-at-reagan.html

"Bill Plante, the senior White House reporter for CBS News, says the White House likes all the shouting and actually promotes it, for it gives the President a chance to answer a question when it suits his purpose and to stay silent when it does not.

''And what does the public see?'' Mr. Plante wrote in a recent Op-Ed article in The Washington Post. ''A genial Ronald Reagan, skillfully parrying the thrusts of an unruly mob of reporters.''

That's how it should be done.  Reporters shouldn't be barred, no matter how good it makes people feel.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2018, 08:31:30 pm »
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 08:32:02 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Silver Pines