Author Topic: As Trump continues to defend his Putin bromance, Mattis just signaled the US will continue arming on  (Read 850 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
As Trump continues to defend his Putin bromance, Mattis just signaled the US will continue arming one of Moscow’s biggest foes
John Haltiwanger

The Pentagon on Friday announced it's giving $200 million to Ukraine to bolster its defenses as its conflict with pro-Russian separatists rages on.
    This move comes as President Donald Trump continues to face backlash over a recent meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
    The conflict in Ukraine has resulted in the deaths of roughly 10,000 people, including 3,000 civilians, and displaced roughly 1.7 million.

The Pentagon on Friday announced it's giving $200 million to Ukraine to bolster its defenses as its conflict with pro-Russian separatists rages on.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/as-trump-continues-to-defend-his-putin-bromance-mattis-just-signaled-the-us-will-continue-arming-one-of-moscow-e2-80-99s-biggest-foes/ar-BBKStth

Forget who is right or wrong, a lot of people don't care for us just to dole out $200 million,  no strings attached? No pay back?  I'm for the Ukraine side but that seems generous.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
$200M is not that much, compared to what we give Israel.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
$200M is not that much, compared to what we give Israel.
Whatever we give to Israel is a drop in the bucket compared to the billions we give to the UN each year, at least we get support from Israel.

Offline Suppressed

Whatever we give to Israel is a drop in the bucket compared to the billions we give to the UN each year, at least we get support from Israel.

We give $40 billion to Israel, and $8 billion to the UN.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
JFK had his bay of pigs, one can name faults for virtually all presidents. I think positives will come out of this whole thing. Sure, you can't learn on the job but the Cuban missile crisis is hardly something you can be prepared for.

JFK, did poorly on the "Bay of Pigs", and is generally seen as having done well on the Cuban missile crisis, it's of course, debated.

------------

Some time ago, I read a slew of archives from Georgetown online about past political happenings, pretty enlightening. https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu  all kinds of things, especially since many documents have been released since their original occurrence when some of them may have been classified top secret.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
That's a bit disingenuous, the aid to Israel is 3.8 billion a year and there are other programs under the UN umbrella that the US pays additional funds.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

No, we don't.

While we do give the U.N. approximately $8B/year, we give Israel less than half that.  So, the Israel figure would be correct only if you were talking about over a ten year period, in which case the U.N. figure should be $80B, not $8B.

Offline Suppressed

No, we don't.

While we do give the U.N. approximately $8B/year, we give Israel less than half that.  So, the Israel figure would be correct only if you were talking about over a ten year period, in which case the U.N. figure should be $80B, not $8B.

You're correct.  Apologies for my goof.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
JFK had his bay of pigs, one can name faults for virtually all presidents. I think positives will come out of this whole thing. Sure, you can't learn on the job but the Cuban missile crisis is hardly something you can be prepared for.

JFK, did poorly on the "Bay of Pigs", and is generally seen as having done well on the Cuban missile crisis, it's of course, debated.

------------

Some time ago, I read a slew of archives from Georgetown online about past political happenings, pretty enlightening. https://nsarchive2.gwu.edu  all kinds of things, especially since many documents have been released since their original occurrence when some of them may have been classified top secret.
There is not much in secret, that the US supported political forces, that would oppose USSR backed regimes.

Central America, Vietnam and Iran come readily to mind.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mountaineer

the US will continue arming one of Moscow’s biggest foes
How does that not contradict the "bromance" narrative?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org