Author Topic: Trump fundamentally undermines NATO, suggests 'aggressive' Montenegro may attack Russia to start Wor  (Read 1732 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
President Donald Trump returned to undermining NATO on Tuesday by singling out the alliance's smallest and newest member, Montenegro, following a European tour that Republicans heavily criticized for misrepresenting US values.

In an interview with Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Tuesday, Trump was asked why the US should answer the call to defend Montenegro - which was admitted to NATO in 2017 - in the event it was attacked.

https://nordic.businessinsider.com/trump-montenegro-nato-fox-news-interview-2018-7
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline edpc

But Trump added another wrinkle to the scenario and suggested Montenegro's "aggressive people" could spark a global conflict and drag the US with it.

"By the way, they're very strong people. They're very aggressive people," Trump said. "They may get aggressive. And congratulations, you're in World War III."

Montenegro has reason to be vigilant.  There was a Russian nationalist plot to assassinate the PM last year, partially based on their decision to join NATO.  Naturally, Russia has denied any involvement.

Russia Denies Role in Alleged Plot to Kill Montenegro's Prime Minister

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russia-denies-role-alleged-plot-kill-montenegros-prime-minister-n679501

Offline dfwgator

Having Turkey in NATO undermines it enough.

Offline Applewood

I kinda doubt a small country like Montenegro would attack Russia.  More like the other way around. 

Did Trump come up with this narrative himself or did he get it from Putin when the two met?  Where is the evidence that Montenegro is aggressive?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
He didn't say that seriously.  Really, guys?

Offline kevindavis007

He didn't say that seriously.  Really, guys?

I hope this is fake news.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline GrouchoTex

Aw, Jeez....................

I hope not.
I hope it is fake news.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I hope this is fake news.

He said it, but it was "like if Martians attack we would ____".  He didn't seriously imply that he was concerned about Montenegro attacking Russia.  You would have to be deranged or a Trump hater to construe it that way.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I suspect it was a trap question.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline edpc

! No longer available

It’s here, beginning at the 5:00 mark.  You can hear how it’s presented and decide for yourself.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:57:20 pm by edpc »

Offline GrouchoTex

He said it, but it was "like if Martians attack we would ____".  He didn't seriously imply that he was concerned about Montenegro attacking Russia.  You would have to be deranged or a Trump hater to construe it that way.

Well, half of that could describe me, deranged.
The headlines always make it sound worse that the actual news

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
! No longer available

It’s here, beginning at the 5:00 mark.  You can hear how it’s presented and decide for yourself.

And, what did you decide after watching it, @edpc?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Well, half of that could describe me, deranged.
The headlines always make it sound worse that the actual news

You are one of our least deranged.   :laugh:

Offline edpc

And, what did you decide after watching it, @edpc?

He didn’t exactly say Montenegro was prepping for war, but he wasn’t making a joke, either.  The sad thing is, he’s already tossed the subliminal question out there:  Are we ready to go to war over Montenegro?  They’ve already had one plot against their PM. 

He’s giving the green light - however unsuspectingly - to Russian nationalists to see how far they can push things, while feigning ignorance and innocence.  After all....people of Montenegro are aggressive.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

He didn’t exactly say Montenegro was prepping for war, but he wasn’t making a joke, either.  The sad thing is, he’s already tossed the subliminal question out there:  Are we ready to go to war over Montenegro?  They’ve already had one plot against their PM. 

He’s giving the green light - however unsuspectingly - to Russian nationalists to see how far they can push things, while feigning ignorance and innocence.  After all....people of Montenegro are aggressive.

Well......ok, then.  Thanks for answering.

Offline kevindavis007

Well since Montenegro is part of NATO we have to help them or is it OK throw them under the bus.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

No, he didn't say Montenegro was preparing for war, exactly or otherwise.  You did note that "Montenegro" was tossed out there by Carlson, not Trump?

Offline edpc

Well since Montenegro is part of NATO we have to help them or is it OK throw them under the bus.

I guess it’ll depend on who starts trouble.  Montenegro will say it was Russia, but Putin will strongly deny it.  Trump will say he doesn’t know why it would be Russia.  After enough international outcry and internal pressure, Trump will say he really meant ‘wouldn’t.’  Prior to sending help, he’ll check to make sure they’ve spent their 2% GDP on defense and make them promise kicking up to 4%, after we intervene.   /s
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:04:33 pm by edpc »

Offline edpc

No, he didn't say Montenegro was preparing for war, exactly or otherwise.  You did note that "Montenegro" was tossed out there by Carlson, not Trump?

They’re the newest member, joining last June, which is why he chose them.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

They’re the newest member, joining last June, which is why he chose them.

Yep. 

Offline edpc

Yep.

Well, it’s not like there was nefarious intent behind choosing them.  He didn’t make Trump say they were aggressive.  Carlson could have easily picked an original member, like Belgium.  For all we know, Trump would have gone off on a tangent about Brussels being a hellhole.  He’s done it before.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

Absolutely correct.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montenegrin_coup_plot 22222

In fact, there was a coup plot in Montenegro involving primarily Serbs with some Russians in 2016. The scenario has been discussed previously. Perhaps, there is a pragmatic factor in discussing this. This upheaval and instability is why, realistically Ukraine will not become a NATO member in the near future.

Offline kevindavis007

I guess it’ll depend on who starts trouble.  Montenegro will say it was Russia, but Putin will strongly deny it.  Trump will say he doesn’t know why it would be Russia.  After enough international outcry and internal pressure, Trump will say he really meant ‘wouldn’t.’  Prior to sending help, he’ll check to make sure they’ve spent their 2% GDP on defense and make them promise kicking up to 4%, after we intervene.   /s

I'm sure that Montenegro is going to cause trouble for Russia.. /s

Offline edpc

I'm sure that Montenegro is going to cause trouble for Russia.. /s

Does your /s and my /s combined make it true?   :pondering: