Author Topic: Inflation hits 6-year high, wiping out wage gains for the average American  (Read 3138 times)

Offline goatprairie

Are the dems/msm holding the 'acute' homeless problem for closer to the midterms?
The Hunger Task Force is probably also gearing up, and we'll be barraged with ads about all the "starving " people in the country. Especially here in Wisconsin where most people are sickly wraithes.  Some are able to stagger out of their hovels and down the sidewalks and into the streets asking for crusts of bread from passersby.
It's horrible I tell you.
Anyway, that's what all the libs would have people believe. The facts are actually otherwise. Anybody spending a little time in my state would notice that many residents could go a few weeks without eating.  But what do I know, I've only been living here my whole life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The Hunger Task Force is probably also gearing up, and we'll be barraged with ads about all the "starving " people in the country. Especially here in Wisconsin where most people are sickly wraithes.  Some are able to stagger out of their hovels and down the sidewalks and into the streets asking for crusts of bread from passersby.
Anyway, that's what all the libs would have people believe. The facts are actually otherwise. Anybody spending a little time in my state would notice that many residents could go a few weeks without eating.  But what do I know, I've only been living here my whole life.
America does have the worlds fattest poor people--at least the ones who aren't tweekers, crackheads, or getting the 'thins' from AIDS....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

America does have the worlds fattest poor people--at least the ones who aren't tweekers, crackheads, or getting the 'thins' from AIDS....
I remember in the early nineties when homeless advocate Mitch Snyder claimed there were more than two million homeless people in the country.  Virtually every (lib) news organ eagerly spread his lies.
Then someone did a study of the nation's homeless and found the total was  actually about one tenth of what Snyder claimed.
After being exposed, the unfortunate Mr. Snyder subsequently committed suicide.
I'm waiting for someone else to expose the "hunger" scam.  I've been to almost all parts of the country, and I've yet to see all these hungry and/or starving people that supposedly are all around us.
I've seen far more people who looked like they should go on a low or no food diet for a month or more.

Offline thackney

Oh, now they are factoring in fuel prices. Seems it wasn't so long ago that the 'volatile energy sector prices' were left out (Back when gas was only $5/gallon) and inflation was near zero....

Just depends upon what the reporter wants to use for the basis.  The CPI still excludes Food and Energy, same as before.

CPI-All Urban Consumers (Current Series)
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CUUR0000SA0L1E?output_view=pct_12mths

12-Month Percent Change
Series Id:     CUUR0000SA0L1E
Not Seasonally Adjusted
Series Title:  All items less food and energy in U.S. city average, all urban consumers, not seasonally adjusted
Area:          U.S. city average
Item:          All items less food and energy

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

Just depends upon what the reporter wants to use for the basis.  The CPI still excludes Food and Energy, same as before.

And the report includes food and energy as separate line items.  Without them, it was 2.3%, as your graph shows.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Hunger is defined as "Anyone who receives government food benefits". They just shave the number down to seem more believable.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Applewood

This nonsense about hunger is all over our local media.  With all the government benefits and charitable efforts out there, no one should be hungry unless they're stupid, lazy or maybe they want to be.  Around here there is the general assistance, food stamps/EBT, food pantries and food drives.  Some beneficiaries get more than one hunger-related benefit.  People often have Social Security, disability,  workers'comp and unemployment benefits in addition to welfare and food stamps.  The kids get SNAP, WIC and in many school districts they get free breakfast, lunch and dinner -- even when school is not in session. 

And you're right.  The vast majority of the supposedly hungry are grossly overweight.  I saw one woman on TV complaining that her kids go to bed hungry.  Well, looking at her rather hefty body, my first reaction was maybe they could practice cannibalism -- starting with her.  If her kids aren't getting enough to eat, it's probably because she is eating whatever food they have. 

I used to support the local food bank back when so many people were unemployed and a goodly number of people -- some of whom I know personally -- really were in need and relied on the food bank for their survival.  But lately,  it's becoming a scam -- or maybe the bank is being scammed by the supposedly hungry.  Anyway, I'd venture that most of these supposedly hungry today really aren't.

Offline Victoria33

@Suppressed

Bob and I have been talking about prices going up at the grocery.  He does the grocery shopping and can tell you what something cost a month ago.  Within months packages are smaller and more expensive.  All fruit has gone up even when they are in season.  All veggies have gone up.  Bread has gone up.  Canned drinks have gone up. Cereal has gone up with the packages getting smaller.  Meat has gone sky high.

We can afford that but many people cannot. Their meals have to be getting simpler. When we eat out, the price for two at Smash Burger is almost $20.

Here is a way to eat cheap at McDonalds.  After Prissy, the dog, goes to the groomer, we go through the drive-in at McDonalds and just get meat in a box for her.  It costs just over a dollar, about $1.16 for the meat in a box. Get that and go home and build your burger.

A story from his trip this past week:
He was at the apple display.  A woman was on her knees going through a box of apples that was there.  She took every apple, rubbed it, held it to her nose, then put it next to her cheek, then either kept it or put it back but she was putting them back in the wrong box, thereby mixing up the types of apples.  She was blocking the path by being on the floor but didn't seem to notice people trying to get through that path. It was a sort of ritual with her.

@Suppressed, it is to be 105 here north of Dallas today, which has nothing to do with this thread, but I will not be going outside today.

Offline Suppressed

Bob and I have been talking about prices going up at the grocery.  He does the grocery shopping and can tell you what something cost a month ago.  Within months packages are smaller and more expensive.  All fruit has gone up even when they are in season.  All veggies have gone up.  Bread has gone up.  Canned drinks have gone up. Cereal has gone up with the packages getting smaller.  Meat has gone sky high.

It's definitely noticeable, and because of the nature of mathematics, this will only get more and more rapid as the curve steepens.

Here is a way to eat cheap at McDonalds.  After Prissy, the dog, goes to the groomer, we go through the drive-in at McDonalds and just get meat in a box for her.  It costs just over a dollar, about $1.16 for the meat in a box. Get that and go home and build your burger.

When I did the low-carb thing, I would do that (or get lettuce for the bun), but they'd charge full price.  Can't get a burger for $1.16 here anymore!

A story from his trip this past week:
He was at the apple display.  A woman was on her knees going through a box of apples that was there.  She took every apple, rubbed it, held it to her nose, then put it next to her cheek, then either kept it or put it back but she was putting them back in the wrong box, thereby mixing up the types of apples.  She was blocking the path by being on the floor but didn't seem to notice people trying to get through that path. It was a sort of ritual with her.

Bizarre!

[/quote]@Suppressed, it is to be 105 here north of Dallas today, which has nothing to do with this thread, but I will not be going outside today.
[/quote]

Even if it's a dry heat, that's just way too much.  I have Scandinavian blood and I'm from upstate NY, so I don't handle heat well at all!  I hope you and your loved ones all stay safe in it!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Oh, now they are factoring in fuel prices. Seems it wasn't so long ago that the 'volatile energy sector prices' were left out (Back when gas was only $5/gallon) and inflation was near zero....
Yep, the Obama years were the worst EVER for gas prices, yet we did not hear much out of the media. 

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

The BLM report cited still includes the breakdowns with and without energy, just like historically has.  But yes, fake money is worthless.
Where is the BLM report?  I cannot find it in article you posted.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Yes, but it went back down under $2 when the Saudis flooded the market a couple years back.  It was artificially low.  The price of oil per barrel is probably about where it should be, given growth/demand.  If we can make the proper upgrades to our refineries, it'll come back down.  Right now, they're set up to process more heavy crude from overseas.  Our domestic oil has a different chemical makeup.
Meanwhile, crude price declines.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,324671.0.html

Offline thackney

Where is the BLM report?  I cannot find it in article you posted.

Maybe he meant BLS, I linked that above.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline DB

CPI is pretty misleading since the early 1980's (with or w/o "food and fuel" being included):

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/07/consumerpriceindex.asp
https://mises.org/library/whats-wrong-cpi
https://www.forbes.com/sites/halahtouryalai/2013/06/24/the-major-problem-with-cpi-and-how-it-hurts-the-economy/#29b3aa405907
https://seekingalpha.com/article/122269-whats-wrong-with-the-cpi

This inflation data might be closer to actual (closer to 5-10%):

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/inflation-charts

I think the explosion of imported cheap Chinese goods helped offset the CPI to make things look better than they really were. Those cheap imports can't continue indefinitely. As China develops they will demand better wages and better working conditions along with not being able to continue to ignore environmental concerns. All of those those things will increase production costs as they equalize with the rest of the world.