Author Topic: LIVE THREAD>>>SCOTUS Announcement  (Read 24193 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: LIVE THREAD>>>SCOTUS Announcement
« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2018, 02:30:43 am »
So was Roe overturned tonight? I thought this was just an announcement for a SC nominee? The sound isn't working on my set but the Leftists are foaming at the mouth.

Oceander

« Reply #251 on: July 10, 2018, 02:31:35 am »

That sounds cautiously positive. 

Offline SirLinksALot

Trump nominates Brett Kavanaugh for Supreme Court
« Reply #252 on: July 10, 2018, 02:32:36 am »
SOURCE: New York Times

URL: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/us/politics/brett-kavanaugh-supreme-court.html

President Trump on Monday selected Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh, a politically connected member of Washington’s conservative legal establishment, to fill Justice Anthony M. Kennedy’s seat on the Supreme Court, setting up an epic confirmation battle and potentially cementing the court’s rightward tilt for a generation.

The nomination of Judge Kavanaugh, 53, a federal appeals court judge, former aide to President George W. Bush and onetime investigator of President Bill Clinton, was not a huge surprise, given his conservative record, elite credentials and deep ties among the Republican legal groups that have advanced conservatives for the federal bench.

But it will galvanize Democrats and Republicans in the months before the midterm elections. Justice Kennedy, who is retiring, held the swing vote in many closely divided cases on issues like abortion, affirmative action, gay rights and the death penalty. Replacing him with a committed conservative, who could potentially serve for decades, will fundamentally alter the balance of the court and put dozens of precedents at risk.

Judge Kavanaugh’s long history of legal opinions, as well as his role in some of the fiercest partisan battles of the last two decades, will give Democrats plenty of ammunition for tough questions. Nearly 20 years ago, working for the independent counsel Kenneth W. Starr, he laid out broad grounds to impeach Mr. Clinton — words that Democrats can now seize on to apply to Mr. Trump and the Russia investigation. Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, who leads the barest of Republican majorities, had also expressed misgivings about his path to confirmation.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #253 on: July 10, 2018, 02:33:44 am »
Well this settles it.

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #254 on: July 10, 2018, 02:34:01 am »
They were never going to get that pushed through the approval process.  Reality sucks, eh?

Sorry, you can't use congress as an excuse this time.  McConnell was going to ram through whomever Trump picked.  The GOP has the majority as well as several vulnerable Dems in red states.  This was Trump's call.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #255 on: July 10, 2018, 02:35:50 am »
President Trump said himself, that Judge Kennedy told him personally that he wanted to be replaced by a Republican POTUS.

Why would he 'lie' about something like that? 

Guess we'll have to wait until the book(s) come out to find how history will write it.  ^-^
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2018, 02:36:01 am »
Trump says Kavanaugh has impeccable credentials.  Maybe, but the last appointment he said had those was Christopher Wray.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #257 on: July 10, 2018, 02:36:34 am »
Brian Fallon
‏Verified account @brianefallon

Kavanaugh:
✔️ Praised *dissent* in Roe
✔️ Criticized Roberts ruling on Obamacare
✔️ Says sitting POTUS can't be indicted/can fire special counsel whenever he wants
✔️ Opposes net neutrality
✔️ Opposes consumer bureau
✔️ Says assault weapon bans are unconstitutional

A protégé of Kenneth Starr, Kavanaugh played a lead role in drafting the Starr report, which urged the impeachment of President Bill Clinton. Kavanaugh led the investigation into the suicide of Clinton aide Vincent Foster.

I'm not sure Fallon is telling the whole story.

Online catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2018, 02:38:53 am »
Frank Luntz is on FOX News right now. He literally looks like he just rolled out of a dumpster after a 2 week bender.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #260 on: July 10, 2018, 02:39:26 am »
President Trump said himself, that Judge Kennedy told him personally that he wanted to be replaced by a Republican POTUS.

Why would he 'lie' about something like that?

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Trump nominates Brett Kavanaugh for Supreme Court
« Reply #261 on: July 10, 2018, 02:40:31 am »
This seems like important news and it is only just now being posted here at 10:40 PM? Are people in a coma around here?

Online DCPatriot

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #263 on: July 10, 2018, 02:41:32 am »
Frank Luntz is on FOX News right now. He literally looks like he just rolled out of a dumpster after a 2 week bender.

Literally .... he does.  I don't think he even shaved.   :laugh:

Offline edpc

« Reply #264 on: July 10, 2018, 02:42:58 am »
I'm going to wait until this story is confirmed before I comment.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #265 on: July 10, 2018, 02:44:17 am »
Literally .... he does.  I don't think he even shaved.   :laugh:

Definitely working a double shift.   Looks like he needs to sleep. 

...and then burn the sheets.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #266 on: July 10, 2018, 02:45:14 am »

Yes, but is his hair freshly dyed its usual hideous shade?
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #267 on: July 10, 2018, 02:45:32 am »
This seems like important news and it is only just now being posted here at 10:40 PM? Are people in a coma around here?

1300 views. 260 posts.
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,323805.0.html

Offline edpc

« Reply #268 on: July 10, 2018, 02:46:22 am »
Are we sure it's not Bannon?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #269 on: July 10, 2018, 02:47:30 am »
I was taking a nap and just pinged by my phone.  I was very pleased.  For some reason, I did not want the gal.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #270 on: July 10, 2018, 02:48:53 am »
Yes, but is his hair freshly dyed its usual hideous shade?

He may have rolled over into some used motor oil and vomit in the dumpster. That would explain the stains on his shirt.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #271 on: July 10, 2018, 02:50:17 am »
Me either, but he still looks to be to the right of Kennedy on a large majority if issues.

I do not understand all this surprise and negativity.  Kavanaugh was on the list and had been rumored to be the choice.

I like him fine.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #272 on: July 10, 2018, 02:53:23 am »
This is going to be a nasty fight. The Rats just dug up Ted Kennedy's corps to come out against this nominee.....

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #273 on: July 10, 2018, 02:56:14 am »
I was taking a nap and just pinged by my phone.  I was very pleased.  For some reason, I did not want the gal.

Meh.....why not stomp on their throats right at the bell?  Amy Barrett was the logical choice.

Gotta figure there is a method to his 'madness'...going for Kavanaugh.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #274 on: July 10, 2018, 02:58:24 am »
Worst case here is that he rules just like Justice Roberts.

Kennedy was a libertarian, fairly reliable on most issues, except for his ardent defense of homosexuality and squishiness on most social issues.

Roberts is an unpredictable corporatist.

Or, even worse, it could be a David Souter who turns out to be a far-left justice. Coincidentally, Roberts and Souter were both Bush family nominees, and they just LOVE Kavanaugh.

Good Lord amighty.  I once looked across the field at a Rangers game and saw George and Laura Bush.  I guess I wouldn't be a proper nominee.