Author Topic: Why conservatives should support Roe v. Wade  (Read 10068 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Why conservatives should support Roe v. Wade
« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2018, 10:58:34 pm »
I believe that no matter how a woman gets pregnant she has no right to end that pregnancy....there..I hope that is clear enough

I have spent most of my adult life being abortion-ambivalent, but after much thought and soul searching over many years, that is the only reasonable conclusion I can come to.

Oceander

« Reply #126 on: July 09, 2018, 10:59:11 pm »
@Right_in_Virginia

I said no such thing and I will thank you to stop saying otherwise.   Each instance of a woman granting such entry is a separate matter and one would hope she would learn to make the correct choice if she doesn't want to deal with the possible  consequences.

Actually, that is certainly a fair reading of your words and @Right_in_Virginia  captured it quite succinctly. 

Oceander

« Reply #127 on: July 09, 2018, 11:00:56 pm »
I believe that no matter how a woman gets pregnant she has no right to end that pregnancy....there..I hope that is clear enough

Does she have the right to end a pregnancy because it’s a threat to her life?

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #128 on: July 09, 2018, 11:01:04 pm »
Actually, that is certainly a fair reading of your words and @Right_in_Virginia  captured it quite succinctly.

BS councilor and both you and she know it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #129 on: July 09, 2018, 11:02:37 pm »
BS councilor and both you and she know it.

I know nothing of the kind.  If that wasn’t what you meant, then please choose your words more carefully in the future so they say what you want them to say. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2018, 11:05:44 pm »
I know nothing of the kind.  If that wasn’t what you meant, then please choose your words more carefully in the future so they say what you want them to say.

Women don't get pregnant again during a pregnancy  councilor.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2018, 11:10:03 pm »
Does she have the right to end a pregnancy because it’s a threat to her life?

I actually had this discussion with a priest once years ago...his opinion was no..the life of the unborn was to be saved..and I agreed.

My feelings about abortion come from my faith but also from the fact that my hubby and I could not conceive...after nine years of trying we adopted..it took us that long to get a baby....there are millions of other couples just like Mike and I who would do anything to adopt a baby...but instead of committing a selfless act to continue their pregnancy and give their babies up for adoption they have chosen to kill them.

btw...three years after adopting our baby boy a miracle happened..I became pregnant...every doctor I saw told us it would never happen.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2018, 11:12:19 pm »
Women don't get pregnant again during a pregnancy  councilor.

Duh.  That wasn’t what you said earlier, however. 

Oceander

« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2018, 11:13:14 pm »
I actually had this discussion with a priest once years ago...his opinion was no..the life of the unborn was to be saved..and I agreed.

My feelings about abortion come from my faith but also from the fact that my hubby and I could not conceive...after nine years of trying we adopted..it took us that long to get a baby....there are millions of other couples just like Mike and I who would do anything to adopt a baby...but instead of committing a selfless act to continue their pregnancy and give their babies up for adoption they have chosen to kill them.

btw...three years after adopting our baby boy a miracle happened..I became pregnant...every doctor I saw told us it would never happen.

So, can the State force a woman to continue a pregnancy that is going to kill her?

Also - and I realize that this is a sensitive question, but in discussions of this nature, all sorts of sensitivities are exposed - does the State have the right to force another woman to bear a child for you?  To force her to go through those nine months just so that you can have a child?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:17:28 pm by Oceander »

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2018, 11:16:27 pm »
Duh.  That wasn’t what you said earlier, however.

I'm quite confident that others will be able to interpret what I said correctly despite your obvious inability.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #135 on: July 09, 2018, 11:17:29 pm »
So, can the State force a woman to continue a pregnancy that is going to kill her?

That is an interesting question..has this been decided in court?

According to your POV..no, it's the woman's choice to continue her pregnancy even though it may kill her....but as an aside this rarely happens nowadays.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Oceander

« Reply #136 on: July 09, 2018, 11:17:56 pm »
I'm quite confident that others will be able to interpret what I said correctly despite your obvious inability.

You’re quite confident in a lot of things that just aren’t so. 

Oceander

« Reply #137 on: July 09, 2018, 11:19:29 pm »
That is an interesting question..has this been decided in court?

According to your POV..no, it's the woman's choice to continue her pregnancy even though it may kill her....but as an aside this rarely happens nowadays.

Of course a woman can continue a pregnancy even if it will kill her.  I would never argue contrariwise.  But the question is:  can the government force her to continue the pregnancy even though it will kill her, and even though she wants to terminate it to save her life?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2018, 11:22:26 pm »
But the question is:  can the government force her to continue the pregnancy even though it will kill her, and even though she wants to terminate it to save her life?

Not now they can't...SCOTUS has determined otherwise..it's the woman's/mother's choice..her body remember
Support the USO

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #139 on: July 09, 2018, 11:22:27 pm »

Yes, it certainly is clear enough @mystery-ak   I hope I can present my point as clearly ---

The law will protect the pregnant woman's right to decide. Under the law she is person deserving control over her body.   All the courts can do is add a red line to the woman's right ... and that red line is the viability of the fetus outside the woman's womb.  From this point the courts recognize the fetus as a separate life.  Viability outside the womb has been determined, based on current medical assistance, to be after 23 weeks of gestation.  It is wholly reasonable and appropriate to demand the legal end to abortions after 23 weeks.

If we want to save babies from week 1 to week 23, we need to do it the hard way.  We need to understand each woman's reasons for wanting an abortion and provide the assistance they need --- whether it's money, education assistance, a place to live, adoption assistance ...whatever is preventing her from carrying the pregnancy needs to be identified and dealt with.  In fact, we should do this for the pregnant woman after week 23, too.

We need to put our time, entrepreneurial spirit, money and focus on the woman, not the courts.

We assist women and welcome one life at a time, no longer will abortion be "safe, legal and rare".  Abortion will be unnecessary and obsolete.

Oceander

« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2018, 11:24:39 pm »
Yes, it certainly is clear enough @mystery-ak   I hope I can present my point as clearly ---

The law will protect the pregnant woman's right to decide. Under the law she is person deserving control over her body.   All the courts can do is add a red line to the woman's right ... and that red line is the viability of the fetus outside the woman's womb.  From this point the courts recognize the fetus as a separate life.  Viability outside the womb has been determined, based on current medical assistance, to be after 23 weeks of gestation.  It is wholly reasonable and appropriate to demand the legal end to abortions after 23 weeks.

If we want to save babies from week 1 to week 23, we need to do it the hard way.  We need to understand each woman's reasons for wanting an abortion and provide the assistance they need --- whether it's money, education assistance, a place to live, adoption assistance ...whatever is preventing her from carrying the pregnancy needs to be identified and dealt with.  In fact, we should do this for the pregnant woman after week 23, too.

We need to put our time, entrepreneurial spirit, money and focus on the woman, not the courts.

We assist women and welcome one life at a time, no longer will abortion be "safe, legal and rare".  Abortion will be unnecessary and obsolete.

:thumbsup:

Could not have said it better myself.

@Right_in_Virginia  thanks. 

Oceander

« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2018, 11:25:29 pm »
Not now they can't...SCOTUS has determined otherwise..it's the woman's/mother's choice..her body remember

Yes, but what do you think?  Should the government be allowed to do that to a woman?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2018, 11:25:41 pm »
You’re quite confident in a lot of things that just aren’t so.

According to you.  I'm not at all worried by that.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2018, 11:26:15 pm »
According to you.  I'm not at all worried by that.

I wouldn’t have expected you to be. 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2018, 11:27:03 pm »

...at what cost
How many babies are aborted every year?
According to WHO, every year in the world there are an estimated 40-50 million abortions. This corresponds to approximately 125,000 abortions per day. In the USA, where nearly half of pregnancies are unintended and four in 10 of these are terminated by abortion [1] , there are over 3,000 abortions per day.
Abortion Statistics - Worldometers
www.worldometers.info/abortions/

Support the USO

Oceander

« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2018, 11:31:32 pm »
...at what cost

What are they counting as an abortion? 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2018, 11:32:38 pm »
Yes, but what do you think?  Should the government be allowed to do that to a woman?

I think the government should should stop making law from a woman's womb.
Support the USO

Oceander

« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2018, 11:33:38 pm »
I think the government should should stop making law from a woman's womb.

I’m not sure I understand.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2018, 11:35:16 pm »
...at what cost

It will not matter.  I'm sorry to be the one saying so clearly, but the woman's right to choose will stand.....to the red line.

We've spent so much time, energy, political capital over the last 45 years, yet during these years @mystery-ak over 50 million souls never saw the light of day.  It makes me heartsick.

At what point do we acknowledge our strategy ain't working and we need a Plan B?

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #149 on: July 09, 2018, 11:40:40 pm »
It will not matter.  I'm sorry to be the one saying so clearly, but the woman's right to choose will stand.....to the red line.

We've spent so much time, energy, political capital over the last 45 years, yet during these years @mystery-ak over 50 million souls never saw the light of day.  It makes me heartsick.

At what point do we acknowledge our strategy ain't working and we need a Plan B?

I still hope and pray that someday there will be some sort of great awakening and abortion will end..at least *legal* abortion.
Support the USO