Author Topic: The largest tank battle in history began 75 years ago today — here’s how it changed WWII  (Read 331 times)

rangerrebew

The largest tank battle in history began 75 years ago today — here’s how it changed WWII
By: HistoryNet   1 day ago

The Battle of Kursk began July 5, 1943 and lasted more than a month. The German surprise assault and subsequent Soviet counterattack involved some 6,000 tanks and 2 million troops.

German infantryman Raimund Rüffer would never forget the first day of Hitler’s offensive toward the Russian city of Kursk. The 20-year-old lieutenant struggled toward his platoon’s objective on the morning of July 5, 1943, against a weight of fire he had never before experienced. As he recalled many years later:

Ivan bullets zipped around us; I could hear them flying past my ears. I expected to be cut down any moment or blown to smithereens by the shells that slammed about….I heard my old friend Ernst panting seconds before his right arm was torn from his body by an explosion that flung his rifle at my feet. He whimpered as I moved toward him, but was silent by the time that I was at his side. A movement to my right. I twisted to see a camouflaged cover being thrown off a trench. I instinctively yelled a warning, dropped to one knee and squeezed the trigger of my rifle. The butt kicked and a round was sent hurtling toward a faceless Soviet soldier. In that same instant I was knocked off my feet as though hit by a heavyweight boxer. A Soviet round had struck me in the shoulder, shattering the bone and leaving me gasping for air.

https://www.militarytimes.com/veterans/military-history/2018/07/05/the-largest-tank-battle-in-history-began-75-years-ago-today-heres-how-it-changed-wwii/
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:53:33 am by rangerrebew »