Author Topic: Collins: Won’t Support SCOTUS Pick Hostile To Abortion Rights  (Read 29472 times)

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Collins: Won’t Support SCOTUS Pick Hostile To Abortion Rights
« Reply #225 on: July 01, 2018, 11:49:26 pm »
Keep it above the belt, gentlemen.

There was below the belt punching?  I didn't notice.  I put the guy who was doing all the dirty fighting on Ignore for a couple days, so I didn't see anything....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Silver Pines

« Reply #226 on: July 01, 2018, 11:57:15 pm »
Another poster in full agreement with me........Trump is GOD!!!!

More people hopping on the Trump Train on a daily basis now.

@Frank Cannon

Official confirmation of your hardcore Trump fan status?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #227 on: July 01, 2018, 11:57:59 pm »
Sarah Palin refused to abort Trig.  This is why the Left hates her so much.

I don't think of Down Syndrome as severe medical diagnosis.  I am talking about conditions like microcephaly where the child will be missing part of the brain and skull.  I honestly can't bring myself to judge a person.  In some cases like this it might be merciful.  As a Christian I even struggle with that because I believe God has a purpose for all life.  All I am saying is I won't judge a person for that kind of medical abortion.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:59:46 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #228 on: July 02, 2018, 12:11:30 am »
"On July 1, Wingnut was asked to remove himself from his place of posting; that request came from his Mod. Deep down, he knew she was right, but he also knew that some day he would return to the forum. With nowhere else to go, he appeared at the home of his friend, Oscar Madison. Several years earlier, Madison's Mod had thrown HIM out, requesting that HE never return. Can two zotted men share an apartment without driving each other crazy?

I can't take it anymore, I'm cracking up. Everything you do irritates me. And when you're not here, the things I know you're gonna do when you come in irritate me. You leave me little notes on my pillow. Told you 158 times I can't stand little notes on my pillow. "We're all out of cornflakes. F.U." Took me three hours to figure out F.U. was Felix Ungar!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #229 on: July 02, 2018, 12:12:45 am »
I don't think of Down Syndrome as severe medical diagnosis.  I am talking about conditions like microcephaly where the child will be missing part of the brain and skull.  I honestly can't bring myself to judge a person.  In some cases like this it might be merciful.  As a Christian I even struggle with that because I believe God has a purpose for all life.  All I am saying is I won't judge a person for that kind of medical abortion.

I think reasonable minds can make a distinction between babies like that, and ones who are suctioned out because they're inconvenient.

The fact remains the liberals hate Palin because she would not abort a Downs baby.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 12:13:36 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #230 on: July 02, 2018, 12:14:06 am »
@Frank Cannon

Official confirmation of your hardcore Trump fan status?

You needed that post for confirmation? Good God woman.

Online libertybele

« Reply #231 on: July 02, 2018, 12:29:13 am »
I think reasonable minds can make a distinction between babies like that, and ones who are suctioned out because they're inconvenient.

The fact remains the liberals hate Palin because she would not abort a Downs baby.

Most liberals don't have reasonable minds.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #232 on: July 02, 2018, 05:45:29 am »
As a Christian I even struggle with that because I believe God has a purpose for all life.

A third to a half of all conceptions (i.e., "lives" to some people) pass from a woman's body before she even realizes she was pregnant.

Why does God create such lives only to pass them that way, if all life must have a purpose?

I submit that perhaps a zygote doesn't yet have a soul.  Perhaps a soul doesn't enter even a blastocyst.  Who are we to know when?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #233 on: July 02, 2018, 06:02:27 am »
A third to a half of all conceptions (i.e., "lives" to some people) pass from a woman's body before she even realizes she was pregnant.

Why does God create such lives only to pass them that way, if all life must have a purpose?

I submit that perhaps a zygote doesn't yet have a soul.  Perhaps a soul doesn't enter even a blastocyst.  Who are we to know when?

Interesting read on the subject

https://probe.org/when-does-a-fetus-receive-a-soul/

That's true in wildlife also.  For instance in fish and birds not all eggs hatch......... 

So what is the argument?  That you can't determine a soul so there is no worth?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 06:10:26 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #234 on: July 02, 2018, 12:36:06 pm »
Interesting read on the subject

https://probe.org/when-does-a-fetus-receive-a-soul/

That's true in wildlife also.  For instance in fish and birds not all eggs hatch......... 

So what is the argument?  That you can't determine a soul so there is no worth?

Thanks for the link.  There are gaps in her reasoning, but it brings up some relevant points.

I think it means we can't assume God is a huge mass killer.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #235 on: July 02, 2018, 12:57:29 pm »

You're right -- reasonable minds can do that.  But it isn't always so easy to draft laws that will end up doing what those reasonable minds desire.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #236 on: July 02, 2018, 01:03:58 pm »
As long as the candidate does not have a record on the issue, and states that he/she is unable to answer questions re: abortion because they may be required to rule on them, it should be OK.

I think you're right.  In that case, she'll just ask the nominee if he/she respects precedent, and of course they'll say 1) "Yes, I do", but 2) "But that isn't an absolute rule, or else we'd still have Plessy v. Ferguson rather than Brown v. Board of Education."  To get her vote, the nominee just can't be on the record saying Roe is bad law.  That shouldn't be too tough to do.

Collins isn't stupid.  Okay, she is kind of stupid, but even she knows that Roberts won't vote to overturn Roe.  So she's making this statement as her version of virtue signalling -- "Yes, I know that Roe really won't be overturned, but this is my chance to show everyone how pro-choice I am."

I'd be shocked if she didn't vote for the nominee.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #237 on: July 02, 2018, 01:05:04 pm »
You're right -- reasonable minds can do that.  But it isn't always so easy to draft laws that will end up doing what those reasonable minds desire.

As @libertybele mentioned upthread...the leftist mind is often not "reasonable."  That is the seed of disagreement.
I will NOT comply.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #238 on: July 02, 2018, 01:14:01 pm »
That is just complete and utter nonsense.

You actually believe the Constitution of the United States cares more about a few unelected judges rendering opinions than anything else?

If you believe that, then that is the most chilling statement I have read on these threads in a long time.  Or, maybe just babbling by an uninformed individual.

I was taught in grade school that the Constitution was about governance of this country and framed the entire document in such a way that ensured that the people of this country through its elected representatives would be able to manage the affairs of this country.  Judges were never intended to be as important in that management as you pretend they are.

@IsailedawayfromFR he also seems to think that it's perfectly ok for 9 black robes to create rights where there are none...as was the case in Roe.

Liberals who just looooove them some activist judges would probably just prefer we chance the name of the Supreme Court to the Politburo and call it a day.

Because the majority of the time that's how the court acts.  That's exactly what the left wants.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:14:50 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #239 on: July 02, 2018, 01:19:54 pm »
Thank you Trump/Pence for bringing this to the fore. He said over the weekend, it should be a state issue.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #240 on: July 02, 2018, 01:22:43 pm »
@IsailedawayfromFR he also seems to think that it's perfectly ok for 9 black robes to create rights where there are none...as was the case in Roe.

Liberals who just looooove them some activist judges would probably just prefer we chance the name of the Supreme Court to the Politburo and call it a day.

Because the majority of the time that's how the court acts.  That's exactly what the left wants.

LOL.  I missed half of that conversation, except for where that half gets quoted by somebody else.  I got tired of being trolled yesterday.
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #241 on: July 02, 2018, 01:25:20 pm »
That is just complete and utter nonsense.

You actually believe the Constitution of the United States cares more about a few unelected judges rendering opinions than anything else?

If you believe that, then that is the most chilling statement I have read on these threads in a long time.  Or, maybe just babbling by an uninformed individual.

I was taught in grade school that the Constitution was about governance of this country and framed the entire document in such a way that ensured that the people of this country through its elected representatives would be able to manage the affairs of this country.  Judges were never intended to be as important in that management as you pretend they are.

:bigsilly:

So the Supreme Court should have STFU about gun control and let the people and their elected leaders decide whether the Second Amendment was an individual right or a collective right. 

That is the only logical conclusion to draw from your statement. And the fact that you, like just about everyone else here, swooned and cried hosannas of joy over that case simply means that you are a grade A hypocrite,  no better than the liberals you excoriate when it comes to using the courts as just another means of oppression.

<NOPE>
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:47:30 pm by Mod5 »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #242 on: July 02, 2018, 01:37:25 pm »
LOL.  I missed half of that conversation, except for where that half gets quoted by somebody else.  I got tired of being trolled yesterday.

@Cyber Liberty

The EXSUM is that he and Jazz are in complete agreement about judicial activism when it comes to their favorite Progressive policies.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #243 on: July 02, 2018, 01:38:17 pm »
"Unelected judges" is a democrat slur.

We live in a republic, where we have an elected President and Senators appointing those judges.  Would we look with disdain on laws not passed via referendum?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:38:48 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++

Oceander

« Reply #244 on: July 02, 2018, 01:38:21 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

The EXSUM is that he and Jazz are in complete agreement about judicial activism when it comes to their favorite Progressive policies.

<NOPE>
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:48:30 pm by Mod5 »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #245 on: July 02, 2018, 01:45:00 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

So tell me a new thing. :laugh:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #246 on: July 02, 2018, 02:39:04 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Either you advocate judicial activism or you don't.    If you support judicial activism re the causes and rights you favor, and decry judicial activism re the causes and rights you don't, then you're a hypocrite. 

Yes, Roe was an example of judicial activism that extended rights where none had clearly existed before.  BUT SO WAS HELLER.  Now forget for a moment whether you agreed or disagreed with those cases when they were decided.   The reality is that millions now rely on the Heller decision which found an individual RKBA.  Millions now rely on Roe which found a woman's individual right to decide for herself whether to bear a child. 

A conservative jurist respects precedent and allows BOTH those decisions to stand because so many rely on them.   An activist jurist doesn't give a damn,  and will upset the applecart no matter how many folks' established liberty is denied.   The jurist who overturns Roe or Heller is a "tyrant in black robes".   The jurist who respects precedent understands the proper role of the judiciary in our Republic.   
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:40:18 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #248 on: July 02, 2018, 03:21:53 pm »
I'm shocked!
Yeah, Collins has long been a reliable Democrat presence in the Senate, no matter what the party letter is after her name.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline XenaLee

• Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
« Reply #249 on: July 02, 2018, 03:31:47 pm »

Don't look now... but.....

apparently, the trolling continues today. 

Offhand, I'd have to say the left is acting like a disturbed hornet's nest.  (kicked-in antbed?)  lolol

The very thought of having yet another Scalia-type justice nominated has driven them quite out of their minds (I know, I know.... how can you tell).
No quarter given to the enemy within...ever.

You can vote your way into socialism, but you have to shoot your way out of it.