Author Topic: Collins: Won’t Support SCOTUS Pick Hostile To Abortion Rights  (Read 29444 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: Collins: Won’t Support SCOTUS Pick Hostile To Abortion Rights
« Reply #200 on: July 01, 2018, 10:59:41 pm »
It says it right here in paragraph 2:

(a) Miranda, being a constitutional decision of this Court, may not
be in effect overruled by an Act of Congress.

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/530/428/case.pdf
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #201 on: July 01, 2018, 11:00:59 pm »
And the "number count" makes a difference?   You suck at abortion promotion.

I’m not the one who started throwing number counts around sport.  Get your facts straight. 

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2018, 11:01:07 pm »
Millions of babies.  Hardly.  Significantly less than a million, and many unviable.

Is it your position that significantly fewer than one million abortions have occurred in the US since 1973?  Or are you arguing about the nature of the fetus by suggesting that out of tens of millions of abortions, significantly fewer than one million terminated babies?
James 1:20

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2018, 11:02:20 pm »
Show me where in the Constitution your opinion is given an weight at all.  Heck, even your vote only counts if your state says it does.

Nice dodge!  And, under our Constitution,   the congress and the president can overrule any court opinion ever rendered!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #204 on: July 01, 2018, 11:02:53 pm »
It says it right here in paragraph 2:

https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/530/428/case.pdf

Ahhh yes, more Bullshit from hoodat.  Try the first full paragraph on page 443 of the official report. 

Oceander

« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2018, 11:03:46 pm »
Nice dodge!  And, under our Constitution,   the congress and the president can overrule any court opinion ever rendered!

Really?   So why was it in Dickerson Congress was unable to overrule Miranda by statute?

Oceander

« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2018, 11:04:43 pm »
Is it your position that significantly fewer than one million abortions have occurred in the US since 1973?  Or are you arguing about the nature of the fetus by suggesting that out of tens of millions of abortions, significantly fewer than one million terminated babies?

To quote one of the gang:  does the count matter?

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2018, 11:07:35 pm »
To quote one of the gang:  does the count matter?

I'm just trying to understand your statement in 194.  Are you willing to clarify?
James 1:20

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2018, 11:08:40 pm »
I’m not the one who started throwing number counts around sport.  Get your facts straight.

And that matters ?    And you seem to be on the wrong side 24/7/365 lately.   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2018, 11:09:09 pm »
Really?   So why was it in Dickerson Congress was unable to overrule Miranda by statute?

Because Lawyers in black robes have been allowed to color FAR outside the lines for a very long time.  THAT is the precise root of the problem!

Under the Constitution the congress writes law and the president signs them into law or not.  Courts have no dog in that hut period!

They can render opinions only.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:27:12 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #210 on: July 01, 2018, 11:09:37 pm »

Good grief, I was paraphrasing your post.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #211 on: July 01, 2018, 11:10:43 pm »
Ahhh yes, more Bullshit from hoodat.  Try the first full paragraph on page 443 of the official report.

So now you're calling Dickerson "bullshit"?  I quoted it verbatim.

btw, the entire decision is only 38 pages long.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:11:25 pm by Hoodat »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2018, 11:13:45 pm »

Again,

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2018, 11:23:05 pm »
Because Lawyers in black robes have been allowed to color FAR outside the lines for a very long time.  THAT is the precise root of the problem!

Under the Constitution the congress writes law and the president signs them into law or not.  Courts have no dog in that hut period!

The can render opinions only.

This man is 100% correct. The problem with the country is lawyers.

Offline MOD3

« Reply #214 on: July 01, 2018, 11:25:47 pm »
Keep it above the belt, gentlemen.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #215 on: July 01, 2018, 11:26:48 pm »
This is the reason I prefer no women in politics.

I know a few are conservative and worth a vote, and I would certainly pick up the banner for a Maggie Thatcher clone; however, they are so few and far between, it is not worth the risk of placing onto the Supreme Court, a lifetime appointment or voting them into office. which essentially turns into the same tenure.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:27:24 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #216 on: July 01, 2018, 11:27:02 pm »
What is it about a doctor’s sayso that can magically convert a murder into a good thing?

If abortion is murder, then it is murder regardless of whether some doctor says it’s medically necessary.

Your view, BTW, doesn’t respect the child as a child, but merely treats it as a punishment to be visited on a woman who has sex.

That is not my view that is the lefts view.  Exactly what Obama said while defending abortion.  He wouldn't want his daughter to be punished.  I never said I would choose abortion in any instance.  And based on some of the things a child would have to live with it would take a lot of prayer.  I said I wouldn't judge parents for heart wrenching decisions that they make when there is severe medical problems with a pregnancy.  Some don't even have heartbeats in the womb so instead of waiting for miscarriage which could cause hemorrhage they abort the already dead fetus.  There are severe medical issues like part of the brain and skull missing.    That decision  is between them and God.

That is very much different than the abortion industry of oops mistake.  Go to Planned Parenthood and get rid of it.

AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #217 on: July 01, 2018, 11:29:01 pm »
@Oceander

In the case you claim to have read, this paragraph summarizes your argument in part:

Whether or not we would agree with Miranda’s reasoning
and its resulting rule, were we addressing the issue in the
first instance, the principles of stare decisis weigh heavily
against overruling it now. .  .  .  While “ ‘stare decisis is
not an inexorable command,  .  .  . particularly when we are
interpreting the Constitution,  .  .  . “even
in constitutional cases, the doctrine carries such persuasive
force that we have always required a departure from
precedent to be supported by some ‘special justification.’ ”

Note how it describes stare decisis as a persuasive force, but not an inexorable command.  It also argues that a departure from it should be supported by some special justification.

With this case, there is no special justification, nor should there be since it was never a challenge to Miranda, but instead a case on whether Miranda could be overturned by Congressional action.  This is distinctly different from Roe, where medical advances more than suffice for special justification.

From a legal standpoint, Dickerson is an extremely poor choice for upholding the Constitutionality of Roe.  It smacks of desperation for someone with no other avenues.  As Justice Rehnquist stated:

No constitutional rule is immutable,
and the sort of refinements made by
such cases are merely a normal part
of constitutional law.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #218 on: July 01, 2018, 11:32:28 pm »

"The accumulation of all powers, legislative, executive, and judiciary, in the same hands, whether of one, a few, or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny."

James Madison, Federalist 47

His fears have been realized and THAT is the problem!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #219 on: July 01, 2018, 11:34:03 pm »
  There are severe medical issues like part of the brain and skull missing.    That decision  is between them and God.

That is very much different than the abortion industry of oops mistake.  Go to Planned Parenthood and get rid of it.

Sarah Palin refused to abort Trig.  This is why the Left hates her so much.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #220 on: July 01, 2018, 11:35:50 pm »
Keep it above the belt, gentlemen.

Abortion is blood sport.  There is no belt.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #221 on: July 01, 2018, 11:38:55 pm »
Some apparently can’t distinguish the weight to be given their opinions of what the Constitution means over what the duly constituted Court with that responsibility says it means. 

Let me give you a hint:  the Constitution doesn’t give a fig what your opinion is; it cares what the Supreme Court’s opinion is; that’s the purpose of the Court.
That is just complete and utter nonsense.

You actually believe the Constitution of the United States cares more about a few unelected judges rendering opinions than anything else?

If you believe that, then that is the most chilling statement I have read on these threads in a long time.  Or, maybe just babbling by an uninformed individual.

I was taught in grade school that the Constitution was about governance of this country and framed the entire document in such a way that ensured that the people of this country through its elected representatives would be able to manage the affairs of this country.  Judges were never intended to be as important in that management as you pretend they are.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #222 on: July 01, 2018, 11:43:47 pm »
Abortion is blood sport.  There is no belt.

"On July 1, Wingnut was asked to remove himself from his place of posting; that request came from his Mod. Deep down, he knew she was right, but he also knew that some day he would return to the forum. With nowhere else to go, he appeared at the home of his friend, Oscar Madison. Several years earlier, Madison's Mod had thrown HIM out, requesting that HE never return. Can two zotted men share an apartment without driving each other crazy?

Online corbe

« Reply #223 on: July 01, 2018, 11:47:26 pm »
   Only if one is named Pee Wee

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #224 on: July 01, 2018, 11:48:30 pm »