Author Topic: Collins: Won’t Support SCOTUS Pick Hostile To Abortion Rights  (Read 29439 times)

Online corbe

Re: Collins: Won’t Support SCOTUS Pick Hostile To Abortion Rights
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2018, 08:15:13 pm »
Oh, look at the contributions of the so-called Ted Cruz supporters.

:silly:

@corbe   

Don't pigeon hole me @TomSea, I'm drunk and have a tendency to lash out at Trumpers in this condition, drawing Mods ire..
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2018, 08:15:54 pm »
It does not. Your Supreme Court also stood up for slavery? So, we assume you see no wrong with that either.

Jazzhead might as well be writing amicus briefs for the defense in Brown v. Board of Education, arguing how the Constitution says that segregation is legal.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2018, 08:16:38 pm »
The 'right to privacy' arises from some liberal unhappy with what the Constitution actually says and trying to invent some right that simply is not there.  Our Founding Fathers had the intelligence to realize that we all share this continent and that it would be virtually impossible to live a life totally free of the notice of anyone else, much less an Almighty all-knowing God.

But then of course our Constitution is not a limitation on private individuals.  It is a limitation on government.  Thus it does not derive rights of the people, but instead places limitations on government acting against those rights.

That's really beautiful and all, but it doesn't have a thing to do with the Fourth Amendment.

Ask the Supreme Court, because that’s the basis on which Fourth Amendment cases are generally decided.  And it’s the only basis on which a communication that passes through the control of an independent third party could be covered by the Fourth Amendment. 

Or has the Court also gone wildly off base with the Fourth Amendment as well?

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2018, 08:18:58 pm »
Ask the Supreme Court, because that’s the basis on which Fourth Amendment cases are generally decided.

That's a mistake.  The Supreme Court should only decide Fourth Amendment cases based on what the Fourth Amendment says.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2018, 08:19:04 pm »
   Don't pigeon hole me @TomSea, I'm drunk and have a tendency to lash out at Trumpers in this condition, drawing Mods ire..

There's hardly an issue President Cruz is more passionate about.... so, again, with some, it's not really about principle and echoing or agreeing with the same stances.

@corbe
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 08:19:36 pm by TomSea »

Silver Pines

« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2018, 08:24:04 pm »
Oh, look at the contributions of the so-called Ted Cruz supporters.

:silly:

@corbe

@TomSea

You're not helping.  Try to get a handle on your obsession long enough to post.

Oceander

« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2018, 08:32:19 pm »
That's a mistake.  The Supreme Court should only decide Fourth Amendment cases based on what the Fourth Amendment says.

So then, you would agree that phone calls are not protected by the Fourth Amendment. Similarly, emails, at least while in transit or on a mail server, are also not protected from seizure.  Nor are cellphone signals. 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2018, 08:40:28 pm »
Missing words in Constitution: Abortion, conception, quickening, birth

…. in case a "textualist" were to search

and would not an "originalist" seek to learn the extant common and acceptable practices at the time the document was drawn?

The Constitution is a limit on the government. Nothing in the Constitution authorizes the government to limit a person's access to abortion.

And considering that abortion was accepted during Colonial times, this makes sense to Originalists.

We can argue how we think things should be, but the way it is, the Constitution has been deemed to protect the right.

Remember, the "tyrants" were in their positions in accordance with the procedures or our republuc enshrined in our Constitution. They legally provided an interpretation of our Constitution.  If we don't like it, we need to change the Constitution via the federal republican means in our Constitution.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2018, 08:40:44 pm »
So then, you would agree that phone calls are not protected by the Fourth Amendment. Similarly, emails, at least while in transit or on a mail server, are also not protected from seizure.  Nor are cellphone signals.

Help me out here, Oceander.  What part of this are you not getting?

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Oceander

« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2018, 08:42:25 pm »
Help me out here, Oceander.  What part of this are you not getting?

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

There isnt much help for you because you do not wish to discuss the issue. 

Where in the language does it contain the word “email”?

Otherwise, if I pass a document to a stranger and ask him to give it to my friend (and conspirator), the police have violated the Fourth Amendment if they seize the document from this stranger while he possesses it?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 08:44:06 pm by Oceander »

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2018, 08:42:56 pm »
We can argue how we think things should be, but the way it is, the Constitution has been deemed to protect the right.

Please show me this part of the Constitution that is "deemed" to override Amendment X.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2018, 08:45:23 pm »
It’s all fun and games until actual details are required.  What counts as the dividing line between perfidious murder and a good medical procedure?

I know what it isn't.  Oops, I made a mistake.  I had sex without protection and now I am pregnant. 
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Oceander

« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2018, 08:47:50 pm »
I know what it isn't.  Oops, I made a mistake.  I had sex without protection and now I am pregnant. 

What is it about a doctor’s sayso that can magically convert a murder into a good thing?

If abortion is murder, then it is murder regardless of whether some doctor says it’s medically necessary.

Your view, BTW, doesn’t respect the child as a child, but merely treats it as a punishment to be visited on a woman who has sex. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2018, 08:51:38 pm »
There isnt much help for you because you do not wish to discuss the issue. 

The issue here is Amendment IV.  I just posted it for you.  Again.  I asked you a direct question regarding that amendment - a question which you failed to answer.  So tell me exactly how is it that I am the one not wishing to discuss an issue that I just asked about and one that you did not wish to answer?  Maybe logic isn't your strong suit.

Where in the language does it contain the word “email”?

It doesn't.  You won't find words like internet, stealing, murder, or gun either.  Nor does the status of the word "email" absolve the government of any restrictions placed upon it by Amendment IV.  And only a complete fool would keep bringing it up.

Otherwise, if I pass a document to a stranger and ask him to give it to my friend (and conspirator), the police have violated the Fourth Amendment if they seize the document from this stranger while he possesses it?

That would depend on whether their seizure was reasonable.  (See:  Amendment IV)

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2018, 08:53:32 pm »
What part of the Constitution allows murder to be a crime?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2018, 09:04:52 pm »
Please show me this part of the Constitution that is "deemed" to override Amendment X.

Nothing is overriding Amendment X. In fact, that amendment is part of my point.  But you can't ignore IV and XIV.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2018, 09:06:25 pm »
Nothing is overriding Amendment X. In fact, that amendment is part of my point.  But you can't ignore IV and XIV.

Depriving a State of the right to decide its own laws regarding abortion, murder, etc. is a violation of Amendment X.

Just curious though.  What do Amendments IV and XIV have to do with depriving the state of Texas the right to formulate its own abortion laws?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 09:10:41 pm by Hoodat »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2018, 09:08:22 pm »
Justice Byron White, a JFK appointee to the SCOTUS by the way, penned the dissent to Roe V. Wade:

No Historical Support

With all due respect, I dissent. I find nothing in the language or history of the Constitution to support the Court’s judg-ment. The Court simply fashions and announces a new con-stitutional right for pregnant mothers and, with scarcely any reason or authority for its action, invests that right with suffi-cient substance to override most existing state abortion stat-utes. The upshot is that the people and the legislatures of the 50 States are constitutionally disentitled to weigh the relative importance of the continued existence and development of the fetus, on the one hand, against a spectrum of possible im-pacts on the mother, on the other hand. As an exercise of raw  judicial power, the Court perhaps has authority to do what it does today; but, in my view, its judgment is an improvident and extravagant exercise of the power of judicial review that the Constitution extends to this Court.

https://www.scribd.com/document/217330653/Dissent-White

So, even some justices didn't see these rights.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2018, 09:11:50 pm »
Depriving a State of the right to decide its own laws regarding abortion, murder, etc. is a violation of Amendment X.

So you'd be okay with a state passing laws outlawing gun ownership, private cellphone use, newspaper publication, etc.?  After all, "Amendment X!"
+++++++++

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2018, 09:12:21 pm »
Justice Byron White, a JFK appointee to the SCOTUS by the way, penned the dissent to Roe V. Wade:

And according to the majority opinion in Roe, it is only a temporary right.  Once a baby hits the 24th week, States magically gain the right to regulate abortion.  Go figure.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2018, 09:18:17 pm »
So you'd be okay with a state passing laws outlawing gun ownership

No.  It violates Amendment II.

private cellphone use

That is their right.  As a citizen of such a state, I would not be in favor of them doing so, but it is still within their right under the Constitution.

newspaper publication

Again, that is their right.  As a citizen of such a state, I would not be in favor of them doing so, but it is still within their right under the Constitution.  Furthermore, Congress holds the power to establish federal law guaranteeing that right, just as they do with abortion.  But in the absence of federal law, it is up to the States.  And while I may not agree with what a State chooses to do, I uphold their right to do it.

Oceander

« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2018, 09:54:52 pm »
And according to the majority opinion in Roe, it is only a temporary right.  Once a baby hits the 24th week, States magically gain the right to regulate abortion.  Go figure.

At the point of viability is when the State’s alleged interests only become weighty enough to outweigh the woman’s right to personal liberty.  No mystery or magic there, it’s a classic balancing test, anchored in practicalities. 

Oceander

« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2018, 09:58:14 pm »

Dickerson v. United States: “Whether or not we agree with Miranda’s reasoning and its resulting rule, were we addressing the issue in the first instance, the principles of stare decisis weigh heavily against overruling it now.”

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2018, 10:04:25 pm »
No mystery or magic there, it’s a classic balancing test, anchored in practicalities.

But not anchored in the Constitution of the United States of America.

Oceander

« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2018, 10:05:24 pm »
But not anchored in the Constitution of the United States of America.

Dickerson v. United States, 530 U.S. 428 (2000).