Author Topic: The Supreme Court Opening Isn’t About Trump, It’s About Mitch McConnell  (Read 644 times)

Offline corbe

The Supreme Court Opening Isn’t About Trump, It’s About Mitch McConnell

If judges are a vindication of Trump, are they also a vindication of Mitch McConnell? And if so, does a good Supreme Court really compensate for a lousy Congress?

By Robert Tracinski   
June 29, 2018

The open spot on the Supreme Court places a spotlight on the constitutional role of a politician known for being unprincipled and caring more about getting and staying in power than about achieving the small-government agenda of the Right—but who at least is being decisive and effective and getting something done that no one has managed to do before.

No, I’m not talking about Donald Trump, who will have the power to appoint a new justice to the spot opened by Anthony Kennedy’s retirement. I’m talking about Mitch McConnell, whose leadership of the Republican majority in the Senate has given him the power to confirm Supreme Court appointments or let them die in limbo.

McConnell is notorious as the embodiment of the dreaded Republican establishment. He has the bad reputation of someone who clings to power no matter whether he delivers in any of his party’s actual agenda—like, say, repealing Obamacare. But he has delivered on one big thing. He delivered on the Supreme Court.

<..snip..>

http://thefederalist.com/2018/06/29/supreme-court-opening-isnt-trump-mitch-mcconnell/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Mitch, you came through with the Gorsuch nomination.

Can you -- will you -- do it again?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
He delivered on the Supreme Court.

Not yet he hasn't!  I am not about to pop my Champagne corks over Gorsuch yet, until he gets a few more decisions under his belt, and I haven't a clue what the President is nominating yet.  He may decide it's important to "maintain the balance of the court."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goodwithagun

How many people has Trump pissed off via Twitter? Hope it’s nobody we need for votes! TBH, I think he’ll nominate another Kennedy, so it really won’t matter.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
How many people has Trump pissed off via Twitter? Hope it’s nobody we need for votes! TBH, I think he’ll nominate another Kennedy, so it really won’t matter.

I'm afraid that's true, and Trump goes right on my shit-list if he does.  It still won't get him any Dem votes in the Senate.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mitch, you came through with the Gorsuch nomination.

Can you -- will you -- do it again?

You are certainly correct. I will go with some conservative observers of the court who are already satisfied with him.

This Kavanaugh had some decisions that were criticized in a recent article. Obama's birth issue or something? Anyway, Kav seemed to originally be a Bush appointee.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Kavanaugh

Also, Amy Coney Barret is a favorite with Kavanaugh per the LA Times. Coney Barret might have clerked with Scalia.
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-court-kavanaugh-barrett-20180628-story.html

National Review says these attacks on Kavanaugh are scurrilous.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/06/brett-kavanaugh-conservative-judge-supreme-court/

All this coverage and more at Renew America.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Yeah, we'll watch that. Oh, dear, so Trump might have offended someone on twitter.  :silly:

Offline goodwithagun

Yeah, we'll watch that. Oh, dear, so Trump might have offended someone on twitter.  :silly:

Word.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline endicom

"Is giving us a good Supreme Court sufficient repayment for giving us a lousy Congress?"

We weren't given this congress, it was elected and there's nothing as of now to be done of it. Take the blessing of another good Justice, should that be, on its own merits.