Author Topic: Both Sides On Abortion Agree: Roe Is In Play Now  (Read 1977 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Both Sides On Abortion Agree: Roe Is In Play Now
« on: June 27, 2018, 09:54:51 pm »
Justice Anthony Kennedy’s retirement after 30 years as a moderate swing vote on the Supreme Court poses a real threat to abortion rights in the United States, advocates and constitutional scholars agree. But exactly how that threat will play out is uncertain.

Within moments of the announcement that Kennedy, 81, would be leaving the court at the end of July, responses began to pour in from those who have spent careers fighting for and against abortion.

“Because President Trump will nominate the next Supreme Court justice, a woman’s constitutional right to access legal abortion is in dire, immediate danger,” said Ilyse Hogue, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sides-abortion-agree-roe-play-now-211011795.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Re: Both Sides On Abortion Agree: Roe Is In Play Now
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 10:06:34 pm »
Has President Trump said/tweeted anything about who he might nominate?  perhaps go back to his original list of name before winning election?

Offline edpc

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 10:09:51 pm »
Has President Trump said/tweeted anything about who he might nominate?  perhaps go back to his original list of name before winning election?

He has said they would be from the list, so you can rule out Napolitano and Pirro.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/trumps-supreme-court-justice-list-president-says-hell-pick-from-list-of-25-to-replace-justice-anthony-kennedy-2018-06-27/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:16:10 pm by edpc »

Offline Fantom

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 10:11:02 pm »

I heard he was considerin' you. But found out what a jackass you were and decided on Schumer.    22222frying pan    :dx1:
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 10:13:24 pm »
Both Sides On Abortion Agree: Roe Is In Play Now

Offline edpc

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 11:28:25 pm »
CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin was typically blunt, declaring within minutes of the news that abortion would be outlawed in nearly half the U.S. within 18 months.

“Anthony Kennedy is retiring. Abortion will be illegal in twenty states in 18 months. #SCOTUS,” he said in a tweet that racked up thousands of retweets within minutes.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cnn-legal-analyst-predicts-abortion-illegal-20-states-195932406.html

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 02:28:53 am »
Justice Anthony Kennedy’s retirement after 30 years as a moderate swing vote on the Supreme Court poses a real threat to abortion rights in the United States, advocates and constitutional scholars agree. But exactly how that threat will play out is uncertain.

Within moments of the announcement that Kennedy, 81, would be leaving the court at the end of July, responses began to pour in from those who have spent careers fighting for and against abortion.

“Because President Trump will nominate the next Supreme Court justice, a woman’s constitutional right to access legal abortion is in dire, immediate danger,” said Ilyse Hogue, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sides-abortion-agree-roe-play-now-211011795.html

I am not holding my breath but it would be a great victory for our country if abortion could be de-legalized.

It's gonna be a hard battle because it has become such an entrenched thing in society and so many pro-abortionists view it with a religious fervor.  Legal abortion has weakened the moral fiber of our country more than almost anything else.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 02:41:41 am »
How is Roe in play? I thought there was precedent/stare decisis?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 12:11:46 pm »

It would be almost impossible. But this won't stop the issue from firing up women around the country or disappointing conservatives when Roe v Wade isn't reversed.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 12:24:50 pm »

Because Republicans want women to die in alleys. The only hope for women to save their own lives is to vote against Republicans this election. And donate to the DNC and your local Democrat candidates.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 12:26:25 pm »
That is a reason not to nominate any women.  None of the 4 so far who have served on the court would vote to overturn.

And three of them are the worst libs to ever occupy the chair.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:42:04 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline edpc

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 12:33:43 pm »

'Reproductive health.'  It'll be the war cry of the left for at least the next 2 years.  Not very healthy for the child.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2018, 03:29:47 pm »

Korematsu was overturned...why not Roe? Both were exceptionally bad rulings.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2018, 04:40:10 pm »
That is a reason not to nominate any women.  None of the 4 so far who have served on the court would vote to overturn.

And three of them are the worst libs to ever occupy the chair.

Ahem.  I believe it is a bit unfair to equate all women with the democrat appointed female Court members.

Probably 99.9% of the women on this forum are pro-life and that percentage probably holds true for the majority of Republican women in the Real World.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 04:43:56 pm »

Well Korematsu had standing and started a law suit to work it's way up. I do not see any such case on Roe in the pipeline as we speak. It is a long road from starting a lawsuit to actually getting it in front of the Supreme Court.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 04:45:13 pm »

Roe was not based on anything in the Constitution at all.  The majority based their ruling on things found in a prenumba that only they can see and read.  It's total BS!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 04:50:16 pm »
At a minimum,  no taxpayer or govrnment monies should go to Planned Parenthood or similar organizations.

2nd, individual states should be able to determine how to deal with this.  If they want to make it illegal, they should have that right.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 04:52:50 pm »
At a minimum,  no taxpayer or govrnment monies should go to Planned Parenthood or similar organizations.

2nd, individual states should be able to determine how to deal with this.  If they want to make it illegal, they should have that right.

Well, you will need to start a lawsuit and have standing. Otherwise this is all sophistry.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 05:09:59 pm »
Well, you will need to start a lawsuit and have standing. Otherwise this is all sophistry.
Baloney, what does this even mean? Why would I sue?

Oklahoma and numerous states have passed pro-life laws and have been sued. Sometimes, the court allows the law. That's in the news all the time. Likewise, defunding planned parenthood is in the news all the time as well.

Not to be critical of anyone but again, I don't think people are up to what is going on in the pro-life debate.

The SCOTUS just ruled for Crisis Centers in California as not having to state abortion alternatives. Just read the news.

Trump is also allowing states, by executive order, not to use Planned Parenthood monies. Not the case with the last president.

The struggle is in the Courts all the time.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:11:19 pm by TomSea »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 06:15:00 pm »

I would think a total removal would be difficult, but I could see them tinkering around the edges.
We could see cases brought before the court on things that have been tried before.

Examples:

Late term ban.
Parental notification.
Clinics having safety and hygienic standards as high as other medical facilities are required to.
Doctors needing admitting privileges to an area hospital.
Over the counter morning after pill (or is this a thing already? I don't know).
etc....

It may never be overturned, but it can be greatly curtailed.

Offline LucasWhite

• IMDEX.org - Image-based Encyclopedia
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 07:45:56 pm »
They will have a million-baby-killer march in Washington.  There is little they value more than their right to kill their own baby.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 08:19:28 pm »
Ahem.  I believe it is a bit unfair to equate all women with the democrat appointed female Court members.

Probably 99.9% of the women on this forum are pro-life and that percentage probably holds true for the majority of Republican women in the Real World.

Sandra Day O'Connor was one of the bigger disappointments the court produced, and she was nominated by Ronald Reagan.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 09:12:26 pm »

All women are not abortion advocates.

Unfortunately, a much higher percent of women than men are though, not necessarily on this forum.

Look at elected officials since day one in the Senate and House.  You can count dozens of women, but only a handful that are truly conservative, ever.

Sure, if you can find a Maggie Thatcher clone, I would support her; otherwise, she would have to be very closely screened.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline bilo

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 10:54:27 pm »
CNN legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin was typically blunt, declaring within minutes of the news that abortion would be outlawed in nearly half the U.S. within 18 months.
“Anthony Kennedy is retiring. Abortion will be illegal in twenty states in 18 months. #SCOTUS,” he said in a tweet that racked up thousands of retweets within minutes.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/cnn-legal-analyst-predicts-abortion-illegal-20-states-195932406.html

The leftist fear about not being able to sacrifice babies to moloch is because instead of going through the legislative process and compromising with "moderate" Pubs they relied on courts to mandate that it's okay to kill babies. I pray to GOD that abortions are severely curtailed and could care less what the radical leftists worry about.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home