Author Topic: Turkey election: Erdogan win ushers in new presidential era  (Read 678 times)

Offline Suppressed

Turkey election: Erdogan win ushers in new presidential era
25 June 2018
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44601383

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is taking on extensive new executive powers following his outright election victory in Sunday's poll.

Parliament has been weakened and the post of prime minister abolished, as measures approved in a controversial referendum last year take effect.

Defeated opposition candidate Muharrem Ince said Turkey was now entering a dangerous period of "one-man rule".

Mr Erdogan polled nearly 53% in the most fiercely fought election in years.

Mr Ince received just 31%, despite a lively campaign attracting huge crowds.

Mr Erdogan, 64, has presided over a strong economy and built up a solid support base. But he has also polarised opinion, cracking down on opponents and putting some 160,000 people in jail.

[...]

The constitutional changes were endorsed in a tight referendum last year by 51% of voters.

They include giving the president new powers to:
  • directly appoint top officials, including ministers and vice-presidents
  • intervene in the country's legal system
  • impose a state of emergency

Some critics argue that Turkey's new system lacks checks and balances.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Turkey election: Erdogan win ushers in new presidential era
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 03:43:07 am »
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say this is the feel good story of the day. Erdogan is such an honest and trustworthy sort. Great to see him take over Turkey so completely.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 11:37:56 am »
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say this is the feel good story of the day. Erdogan is such an honest and trustworthy sort. Great to see him take over Turkey so completely.

You seem to like Dictators..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 12:16:08 pm »
Turkish Brigade during the Korean War; the thing is, they have always assisted NATO, the UN. We'll see where this goes.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 02:34:50 pm »
Turkish Brigade during the Korean War; the thing is, they have always assisted NATO, the UN. We'll see where this goes.

We only let Turkey into NATO because it gave the West a strategic counter to the Soviets in that area and a place to launch short range missiles into the USSR.

Once Kennedy agreed to pull our NIKE missiles from the country...their usefulness in NATO honestly went away.

And after their actions during Iraqi Freedom and subsequent hostile gestures towards NATO allies and specifically the U.S. we seriously need to start questioning why they are still in NATO at all.

Erdogan has purged his military officer corps of any secular officers...especially in the General Officer ranks and replaced them with Muslim Fundamentalists.

He's been the go between for oil transfers from Daesh to the world markets giving them a steady cash flow...the alleged "coup" attempt against him was manufactured to help him purge the government of what he considers "undesirables" and tossed them in prison.

He's not what NATO needs as a strategic partner...not with the break up of the old Soviet Union and the willingness of those former WARSAW pact members to align with NATO and the west now.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 01:01:57 am »
Title:
"Turkey election: Erdogan win ushers in new presidential era"

"New presidential era" ???
"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss".

Actually, pick ANY muslim nation you want.
Then think a moment...
Who is REALLY "the boss" of these places?
(hint: he died 1,400 years ago)

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 01:25:53 am »
@txradioguy

You're forgetting warm-water ports and access to the Eastern Med.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 01:37:49 am »
@txradioguy

You're forgetting warm-water ports and access to the Eastern Med.

Yeah there is that for now.

But as Erdogan begins to act more like a terrorist supporting radical Islamist even that advantage for us might go away.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!