Author Topic: It's Trump's Republican Party now — and woe to any who object  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: It's Trump's Republican Party now — and woe to any who object
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 03:12:37 am »
Sanford forgot the glass houses metaphor. When you've committed such a serious lapse in judgement, it's hard to criticize others for things far less serious.

Apparently he is a good conservative, he should have swam with the flow and worked with Trump in the things in common. He would have accomplished more.

Guess I'm not quite sure how Sanford would think it would work out good for him otherwise.

I know men are maybe allowed a middle-age crisis, but Sanford's was so crazy and far out that I could never trust him with anything breakable.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 03:17:12 am »
The majority of whom are Republican. 

Nope ... the hostage takers, your pals, are the GOPe swamp dwellers.

The American voter is catching on and doing something about it.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 03:56:38 am »
Nope ... the hostage takers, your pals, are the GOPe swamp dwellers.

The American voter is catching on and doing something about it.

They're YOUR pals.  Yours and your hero, Trump's.  He owns the party. They are his responsibility, as party leader.  And he has done nothing as party leader to whip them into shape. 

Trump supporters won't see it, but most of the rest of us do.  Trump is the Rrepublican party.  And when the Republican party fails, so does Trump.  He might be able to disassociate himself from the rest of the party in the eyes of his adoring fans, but for most of us, he owns their failures.  He is responsible for every broken promise no matter who in the party makes it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:20:16 am by Applewood »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 04:26:15 am »
They're YOUR pals.

The GOPe swamp dwellers are *my* pals?  Did you sleep through the election of Donald Trump?   

(Hint:  let's make this a rhetorical question --- your post makes it too late for you to convince me otherwise   88devil  )

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 05:07:58 am »
Bush was and is a known Liar.

YUP.
So is Tump.
SOSDD.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2018, 05:10:27 am »
I prefer a Coolidge/Goldwater GOP

Conservatism comes out of Goldwater.
Reagan came out of Goldwater.

This is not Goldwater.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2018, 12:54:12 pm »
The headline is wrong.  It's not "Trump's Republican Party".  It is the voters Republican Party, as it should be.  Sanford's loss wasn't due to Trump not liking being criticized.  It was due to the voters, ordinary South Carolignians, not liking that criticism.

I don't think anyone is expecting/demanding that GOP politicians all take the affirmative step of praising Trump.  Even most of his supporters occasionally cringe at the things he says.  But there is a big difference between not praising everything he says (and just remaining silent), and choosing to publicly criticize it.  The latter is perceived as aiding Democrats who have been trying to kneecap his Presidency since day one.  And since a lot of those GOP voters don't like the idea of Democrats trying to cripple the Administration, they don't take very kindly to elected Republicans who go out of their way to criticize him.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:59:20 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2018, 01:24:36 pm »
The headline is wrong.  It's not "Trump's Republican Party".  It is the voters Republican Party, as it should be.  Sanford's loss wasn't due to Trump not liking being criticized.  It was due to the voters, ordinary South Carolignians, not liking that criticism.

I don't think anyone is expecting/demanding that GOP politicians all take the affirmative step of praising Trump.  Even most of his supporters occasionally cringe at the things he says.  But there is a big difference between not praising everything he says (and just remaining silent), and choosing to publicly criticize it.  The latter is perceived as aiding Democrats who have been trying to kneecap his Presidency since day one.  And since a lot of those GOP voters don't like the idea of Democrats trying to cripple the Administration, they don't take very kindly to elected Republicans who go out of their way to criticize him.

It used to be the Peoples Republican party but that is no more!  That dies in a very ugly fashion at their last national convention and I left that very day!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2018, 01:39:36 pm »
I like the Trump GOP far more then I liked the Bush/McCain/Romney GOP.

Funny, because some of the people around him are family of formerly rejected RINOs.

Sarah Sanders is Mike Huckabee’s daughter.

Ronna McDaniel, aka Discount Carnie Wilson, is Mitt Romney’s niece.

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2018, 01:47:58 pm »
I prefer a Coolidge/Goldwater GOP

We have that now. The GOP is a party full of dead people.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2018, 01:49:45 pm »
We have that now. The GOP is a party full of dead people.

Whereas the Democrats are a party elected by dead voters.