Author Topic: It's not that I disagree about policy with Trump supporters. It's that I know they don't give a shit  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1005663634528309248.html

Tom Nichols @RadioFreeTom

It's not that I disagree about policy with Trump supporters. It's that I know they don't give a shit about policy. There's no way to have a policy argument with people whose eyes are always looking up to the television for a cue from Dear Leader about what to say next. /1

As @JVLast once said, Trumpism is non-falsifiable. Whatever Trump does is right. There are no principled arguments to be had, because if Trump changes his mind or tweets something off the wall, Trumpers change their position immediately. /2

This would basically be a cult except for one thing: most Trumpers do not believe their own bullshit. Yes, some of them really are stupid enough to think Trump is a good man and all that crap, but most of them are only interested in Trump as a vehicle of social disruption. /3

Trump's smarter enablers see him as an equalizer, a way to put them on an equal footing with "elites" - oh, that word - who they think look down on them. Thing is, the elites *do* look down on them. For good reason. Most of Trump's sycophants are second raters, at best. /4

For them, Trump is their shot. They know he's, um, emotionally disordered, to use @Peter_Wehner's term, but they don't care: this is their one chance to grab the car keys and throw a kegger before Mom and Dad get back home. That makes talking with them about policy impossible. /5

So if it seems like I don't engage Trump's enablers on the merits of this or that Trump policy, it's because I can't take Trump's "policies" any more seriously than Trump or his minions do. It's either pure stupidity or pure careerism, and either way, it's a waste of time. /6

Yes, there are people in government trying to hold everything together. I salute them and hope they can keep the ship afloat. But they can't make policy either. They can issue directives and hope for the best, mostly hoping Trump doesn't notice and overrule them via tweet. /7

I think we'd all be less exhausted if the Trumpers would just admit that what they value from Trump is the social leveling effect he has, forcing intelligent people to respond endlessly to stupid comments and bad ideas, than continue pretending they care about "policy." /8

For myself, I am resigned that Trump will be president for as long as he's president. How it ends is up to the voters. But I don't see the need to engage in the cynical bullshittery of arguing policy with people who will change their minds on anything in nanoseconds. /9

And for the love of God, don't tell me about what Trump's Real 'Muricans in the Heartland want. I know what they want: more government action, including money, delivered with a smile, inflated respect, and pity, earned or not. Those are utterly pointless discussions too. /10

Trump is going to do what Trump is going to do. He's not liberal or conservative. It's all just the blurted thoughts of an angry, frightened man who won an office he didn't really want. We have to get through it, but we don't have to pretend we're arguing about real things. /11x

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Well this will be an exciting thread once again pitting principles and policy against populism and propaganda.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Seriously we have Giuliani saying “he’s (Chris Christie) my number one candidate”....

Good grief. I can't believe it has came down to this.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
This sounds like leftwing garbage, we've got the most pro-life president (yeah, I will get my news from the pro-life news sites, not those who aren't to be seen on the life issue unless they can criticize the Prez.), president that has defeated really the great human rights violators, brutal ISIS jihadists. The author obviously, can not find his mouth from a hole in the ground.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Pathetic article playing to the irrelevant
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline aligncare

A pathetic screed conjured up from the depths of the author’s hatred, devoid of any insight or rationality. Sorry I took the time to read it.

Oceander

A pathetic screed conjured up from the depths of the author’s hatred, devoid of any insight or rationality. Sorry I took the time to read it.

Case in point

Offline aligncare

Case in point

If I notice you at all it’s only to brush you aside like a tiny gnat buzzing a piece of fruit.

Offline jpsb

:thumbsup:

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I find myself in complete agreement with the author's opinions regarding his observations of ForeverTrumps®.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline driftdiver

I find myself in complete agreement with the author's opinions regarding his observations of ForeverTrumps®.

Of course you do, because you have a plan. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Of course you do, because you have a plan.

No, not because I have a plan - because I have observed the same behaviors, traits and issues from ForeverTrump® as Nichols has.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Both NT's and FT/ET's are cults. Trump may be an embarrassing goof but he is a successful embarrassing goof. He does some good things and some bad things, just like Obama.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline driftdiver

Both NT's and FT/ET's are cults. Trump may be an embarrassing goof but he is a successful embarrassing goof. He does some good things and some bad things, just like Obama.

Obama did far more bad things, the major one being a traitor who was working to hasten Americas decline

Offline jpsb

The author and those agreeing with him are idiots.

Trump won on policy.

* Stop the invasion of illegals
* Secure our southern border, build the wall
* Bring back the job that our insane trade practices gave away
* Renegotiate bad trade deals
* Rebuild our military
* Stop fighting useless endless wars we never win and cost trillions of dollars.
* Reform federal gov, for every new reg 4 old regs are removed.
* put the interest of the USA first instead of the globalists first.

Only a fool believes Trump did not win on policy.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Trump may be an embarrassing goof but he is a successful embarrassing goof. He does some good things and some bad things, just like Obama.

I can certainly respect that opinion.

Sad that it is an observation being drowned out by the vocal minority of ForeverTrump®.

Offline aligncare

Trump won on policy.

* Stop the invasion of illegals
* Secure our southern border, build the wall
* Bring back the job that our insane trade practices gave away
* Renegotiate bad trade deals
* Rebuild our military
* Stop fighting useless endless wars we never win and cost trillions of dollars.
* Reform federal gov, for every new reg 4 old regs are removed.
* put the interest of the USA first instead of the globalists first.

Only a fool believes Trump did not win on policy.

The actions of an embarrassing goof? I think not.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Trump won on policy.

The OP isn't about Trump policy.

It's about the memes and mindsets of Trump's rabid foam-at-the-mouth fanbase.  I find those observations articulated and evidenced right here on this board.

Offline jpsb

It's about the memes and mindsets of Trump's rabid foam-at-the-mouth fanbase.  I find those observations articulated and evidenced right here on this board.

It's not that I disagree about policy with Trump supporters. It's that I know they don't give a shit about policy.

Offline driftdiver

@INVAR
"rabid foam-at-the-mouth fanbase"

Cant come up with an argument so you resort to insulting yet again.   

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Wow.  This poster sure has a hate-on for God-fearing, Christian Americans who still believe in fair play, the Constitution of the United States and the boundless possibilities of the American dream.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:05:17 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
@INVAR
"rabid foam-at-the-mouth fanbase"

Cant come up with an argument so you resort to insulting yet again.

It's definitely an insult if you self-identify as a rabid foam-at-the-mouth Trump fan since the adjective is an identifier.

Offline skeeter

Pathetic article playing to the irrelevant

Gad, this constant yapping at 'Trump supporters' is way past tiresome.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Gad, this constant yapping at 'Trump supporters' is way past tiresome.

It goes both ways.  Every.  Single.  Day.

Welcome to the new normal.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1005663634528309248.html

Tom Nichols @RadioFreeTom

It's not that I disagree about policy with Trump supporters. It's that I know they don't give a shit about policy. There's no way to have a policy argument with people whose eyes are always looking up to the television for a cue from Dear Leader about what to say next.

Wow.  Well, nothing like cheap, insulting generalizations to display your perspicacity and wit.

Just made my first report to moderators.  This is complete garbage that serves no purpose other than to insult anyone who supports Trump, and is being posted for the same reason.  It contains nothing in the way of original or insightful analysis.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:04:15 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »