Author Topic: Supreme Court Upholds Controversial Ohio Voter-Purge Law  (Read 1510 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Supreme Court Upholds Controversial Ohio Voter-Purge Law
« on: June 11, 2018, 04:28:35 pm »
Ever notice when the court swings against a liberal ideal it is deemed "Controversial" by the lames?

Updated 11:19 a.m. ET

By a 5-4 margin, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a controversial Ohio voter-purge law.

It's known as the "use-it-or-lose-it" law, and it's the most aggressive voter-purge system in the country. The state currently strikes voters from the registration rolls if they fail to vote in two consecutive elections — and if they fail to return a mailed address confirmation form.

Those challenging the law said it violated the National Voting Rights Act, which says that a state cannot strike someone from the rolls for failure to vote. The emphasis is to get more people to vote — and not have them purged.

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/11/618870982/supreme-court-upholds-controversial-ohio-voter-purge-law
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Supreme Court Upholds Controversial Ohio Voter-Purge Law
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 04:32:37 pm »
Good deal!

Offline WingNot

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 04:34:48 pm »
Justice Samuel Alito wrote the majority opinion, noting right off the bat that an estimated one in eight voter registrations in the United States are invalid or inaccurate. He said failing to vote cannot be the sole reason for purging voters but noted that Ohio "removes registrants only if they have failed to vote and have failed to respond to a notice."

"A state violates the failure-to-vote clause only if it removes registrants for no reason other than their failure to vote," Alito said. By contrast, he said, Ohio waits six years before removal, following federal law "to the letter."

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 04:36:59 pm »
This is big. Epic turning point big.

A good part of the Soros/DNC fraud machine is due to sloppy voter rolls, especially in the urban areas.

Talk about chopping the Dems off at the knees.
The Republic is lost.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 04:39:29 pm »
F A N T A S T I C ! ! !

Time to start pushing for your state legislature to pass laws similar to Ohio's!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 04:41:21 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 04:41:45 pm »
Justice Samuel Alito wrote the majority opinion, noting right off the bat that an estimated one in eight voter registrations in the United States are invalid or inaccurate. He said failing to vote cannot be the sole reason for purging voters but noted that Ohio "removes registrants only if they have failed to vote and have failed to respond to a notice."

"A state violates the failure-to-vote clause only if it removes registrants for no reason other than their failure to vote," Alito said. By contrast, he said, Ohio waits six years before removal, following federal law "to the letter."

So, that's +25 million invalid or inaccurate voter registrations?  I wonder if there's enough there to flip an election?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 04:47:11 pm »
So, that's +25 million invalid or inaccurate voter registrations?  I wonder if there's enough there to flip an election?

Local elections in a district covering a handful of non-urban counties are hard to flip unless the vote count is well under a hundred votes, in my estimation.

Statewide though with urban areas where the difference is less than a thousand votes? Relatively easy, especially if county election officials are allowed to 'find' votes.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 06:49:54 pm »
The argument against this is just ridiculous.  If you don't vote, and ignore mailings from the Board of Elections repeatedly sent to your house, you have absolutely nobody to blame but yourself if you show up and can't vote.  What amazed me was Breyer's dissent, where he said that many people just throw out those mailings without reading them, and essentially said that was a valid excuse.  Mind-blowing.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 06:52:50 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 08:19:38 pm »
Just purge the rolls completely after every election cycle.  For convenience, hand out voter registration cards at the polling places.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 09:10:31 pm »
@Victoria33 I think this might be of interest to you.
@Freya How are Jersey's rolls?
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 09:19:24 pm »
The argument against this is just ridiculous.  If you don't vote, and ignore mailings from the Board of Elections repeatedly sent to your house, you have absolutely nobody to blame but yourself if you show up and can't vote.  What amazed me was Breyer's dissent, where he said that many people just throw out those mailings without reading them, and essentially said that was a valid excuse.  Mind-blowing.

My mind is no longer capable of being blown by liberal thinking.  There is no end to the stupidity that has been shown so they can believe the things they do.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 09:23:56 pm »
My mind is no longer capable of being blown by liberal thinking.  There is no end to the stupidity that has been shown so they can believe the things they do.

You think they actually believe the crap they spew?  I don't!

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 09:29:37 pm »
Does Kasich support this?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 09:54:47 pm »
You think they actually believe the crap they spew?  I don't!

The leaders who live in the giant mansions don't.  The moronic Useful Idiots living in the single-wide trailers do.  That's why they're called "idiots."  I've known a few.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 09:58:05 pm »
Does Kasich support this?

Where has John boy been lately? 

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 10:01:01 pm »

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 10:12:42 pm »
@Victoria33 I think this might be of interest to you.
@Suppressed
@mystery-ak
@txradioguy   

It works this way in Texas (Texas Election Law below):
http://www.sos.texas.gov/elections/vr/index.shtml

“The Suspense List
The suspense list, as detailed in Section 15.081, is a list maintained by the voter registrar of each county that contains the names of (1) voters that failed to respond to the confirmation notice, (2) voters whose renewal certificate was returned to the registrar as undeliverable, and (3) those individuals that were excused or disqualified from jury service because they were not a resident of that county, state on the juror summons notice that the individual no longer resides in the county, or whose jury summons were returned to the district clerk as undeliverable.

An individual on the suspense list is still a registered voter and has the same rights as a non-suspense list voter. If a suspense list voter lives in the same residence, shows up at the same precinct location, shows proof of identification and fills out a statement of residence, then the individual will be able to vote, and the voter’s name will be removed from the suspense list. If the voter has moved to a different residence located in the same county, the voter will also fill out a Statement of Residence and be permitted to vote, provided the voter is living in the political subdivision or territory covered by that election. The Statement of Residence will be used to update the voter’s registration and remove the voter’s name from the suspense list. If the suspense list voter has moved outside of the county, the voter will be given the option to vote provisionally in accordance with Section 63.011.

If a voter’s name is still on the Suspense list on November 30th following the second general election for state and county officers that occurs after the date the voter’s name is entered on the suspense list, then the voter registrar is required by State law to cancel the voter’s registration..”

Texas sends voter a new voter card every two years (see bold above).  If it is returned as not deliverable, the voter goes on the Suspense list.  If that happens twice, the voter's name is removed from voter list.  Other conditions for removal are listed above.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 10:14:03 pm »

Offline endicom

Twitchy
Sarah D.
June 11, 2018

As Twitchy told you earlier, in a 5-4 ruling, the Supreme Court upheld Ohio’s “use it or lose it” policy of purging inactive voters from voter registration rolls.

And Chuck Schumer’s definitely not the only lefty flipping the hell out:

Breaking: In 5-4 decision Alito reverses 6th circuit & upholds Ohio's purging of infrequent voters. Ohio has purged 2 million voters since 2011, more than any other state. Black voters 2x as likely as whites to be purged in state's largest counties

— Ari Berman (@AriBerman) June 11, 2018

[...]

More from Dan McLaughlin at NRO:

The Court was not asked to decide if states are allowed to purge names from the voter rolls. Federal law requires them to do so. That law, the National Voter Registration Act of 1993, was written by congressional Democrats, passed with the votes of every single Democratic senator and 238 of the 252 Democrats in the House at the time (including Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Dick Durbin, Steny Hoyer, and James Clyburn) and signed into law by President Bill Clinton.

More... https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2018/06/11/ruh-roh-will-libs-heads-explode-when-they-realize-whos-responsible-for-ohio-voter-suppression/

Offline WingNot

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 10:21:50 pm »
http://The Court was not asked to decide if states are allowed to purge names from the voter rolls. Federal law requires them to do so. That law, the National Voter Registration Act of 1993, was written by congressional Democrats, passed with the votes of every single Democratic senator and 238 of the 252 Democrats in the House at the time (including Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, Dick Durbin, Steny Hoyer, and James Clyburn) and signed into law by President Bill Clinton.

Oh Snap.  (if true and not fake facebook meme news)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:22:32 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 10:47:09 pm »
That boy is a P-I-G, pig.

Munchies'll do that.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline endicom

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2018, 10:50:03 pm »

Oh Snap.  (if true and not fake facebook meme news)

I believe it is true. SCOTUS (barely) ruled in favor of a standing law.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 11:25:49 pm »
O-H

I-O!!!

Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 11:34:42 pm »
They couldn't pick a better time to start in life
It ain't too early and it ain't too late
Startin' as a farmer with a brand new wife
Soon be livin' in a brand new state
Brand new state!
Gonna treat you great!  MAGA

Oh wait.  Wrong state..  My bad

Offline bilo

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 11:52:39 pm »

Add in the illegal aliens who vote and you've got some serious numbers.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home