Author Topic: Anthony Bourdain dead at 61  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Anthony Bourdain dead at 61
« on: June 08, 2018, 11:28:09 am »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Anthony Bourdain dead at 61
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 11:29:40 am »
I figured it would be drugs or booze
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:33:11 am »
I'm pretty shook up. Two very famous people both suicides in less than a week?

I loved watching him on TV, and he wrote fiction like a dream. I'm really gutted

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 11:35:35 am »
Somehow, this isn't a surprise.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 11:38:56 am »
His last tweet:
Parts Unknown   Verified account @PartsUnknownCNN
Jun 3

Check out this specially made version of “Rising Sun Blues (House of the Rising Sun)” that Parts Unknown Composer @mruffino created for the episode:  https://soundcloud.com/parts-unknown-985303506/rising-sun-blues-king-kong-mix … #PartsUnknown
https://soundcloud.com/parts-unknown-985303506

CNN's Jake Tapper tweeted:
Jake Tapper  Verified account @jaketapper
18m18 minutes ago

This is so awful.

Anthony Bourdain, 61, has died. He took his own life.

He was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series. His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.
Apparently, the mode was hanging.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:46:44 am by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 11:45:08 am »
Drudge main headline. He hung himself. That tears it.

Especially when the CDC issued a report this week that suicides increased over 30%  since 1999 in half the states.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 12:00:20 pm »
Drudge main headline. He hung himself. That tears it.

Especially when the CDC issued a report this week that suicides increased over 30%  since 1999 in half the states.

@Freya

Suicide is contagious.  People hear about it and think it's the answer to their problems.  It is not the answer.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 12:15:51 pm »
@Freya

Suicide is contagious.  People hear about it and think it's the answer to their problems.  It is not the answer.

It seemed like a pretty effective answer to me. He no longer has to deal with whatever it is.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 12:21:22 pm »
It seemed like a pretty effective answer to me. He no longer has to deal with whatever it is.

Shitbag had an 11 year old daughter. This will be just great for her well being.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 12:29:01 pm »

@Suppressed

No the ones he left behind have to deal with it. 

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 12:30:48 pm »
@Freya

I can see that being the case. One is already tormented with various demons and then you see this all over the place, every where you turn. Drudge just had a post that said the CDC is reporting that suicide is the 10th leading g cause of death in the US. That is hitting a lot of families. Hell, I've known 3 people who have killed themselves in the past year. All you never ever would have suspected we're hurting.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 12:46:06 pm »
I can see that being the case. One is already tormented with various demons and then you see this all over the place, every where you turn. Drudge just had a post that said the CDC is reporting that suicide is the 10th leading g cause of death in the US. That is hitting a lot of families. Hell, I've known 3 people who have killed themselves in the past year. All you never ever would have suspected we're hurting.

When I was in the Air Force there was a series of suicides in my unit.   They gave training to everyone on identifying people who might be considering it.  They are the ones who told me it was contagious.   Obviously not like a cold or flu but the idea itself.    They also told us to confront it directly as it helps people and can prevent them from doing it as well.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 01:28:59 pm »
@Freya

Anthony Bourdain at The Waffle House...

“It is indeed, marvelous. An irony-free zone, where everything is beautiful and nothing hurts. Where everybody, regardless of race, creed, color, or degree of inebriation is welcomed. Its warm, yellow glow a beacon of hope and salvation, inviting the hungry, the lost, the seriously hammered, to come inside. A place of safety, and nourishment. It never closes; it is always, always faithful — always there, for you.”

Sean Brock And Anthony Bourdain Eat At The Waffle House
! No longer available
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 04:06:08 pm »
It is indeed sad and tragic when a person takes his own life, even when he is as rich and famous as Bourdain.

That said, this man did not keep his politics to himself. Read this:

https://nypost.com/2017/09/15/anthony-bourdain-says-he-would-poison-trump-if-given-the-chance/

(EXCERPT )

Anthony Bourdain says he would poison Trump if given the chance
By Brian Flood, Fox News September 15, 2017 | 10:40am | Updated

Anthony Bourdain says he would poison Trump if given the chance

“Hemlock,” Bourdain simply replied when asked by TMZ what he would serve Trump and the North Korean dictator.

Hemlock is a poisonous plant that has been used as a method of execution. The video was published by TMZ last week, but is just now gaining attention.

When reached by Fox News, Bourdain, apparently joking, said that he meant to say “kale” instead of hemlock.

CNN recently fired Kathy Griffin for posing with a bloody head made to look like Trump. The liberal network also cut ties with “Believer” host Reza Aslan after his anti-Trump rhetoric on Twitter was widely criticized. It’s unclear if Bourdain would suffer any consequences for his rhetoric, but it’s worth noting that “Parts Unknown” is significantly more popular than programs hosted by Griffin and Aslan.

This isn’t the first time the “Parts Unknown” host has spoken negatively about Trump. Bourdain, who famously dined with Barack Obama on an episode of “Parts Unknown,” told TheWrap last year that he wouldn’t eat with then-candidate Trump if given the chance.

“Absolutely f—ing not,” Bourdain said. “I’ve been a New Yorker most of my life … I would give the same answer that I would have given 10 years ago, when he was just as loathsome.”

Bourdain’s “Parts Unknown” is a CNN original series in which the celebrity chef travels the world to showcase food and culture. He also told TMZ that he wouldn’t be interested in filming an episode in North Korea because “most of the population are starving.”

As for Bourdain’s thoughts on Kim Jong Un, the CNN star called him a “chubby, evil little f–k.”

CNN did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 04:08:35 pm »

Methinks his troubles are just beginning.

Silver Pines

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 05:42:35 pm »
Methinks his troubles are just beginning.

@dfwgator

I don't know about that, and I certainly hope not.  I've never seen a clear Scriptural answer for suicide.  If he was mentally ill, and he seems to have been, he wasn't in his right mind.  God would take that into account.

Silver Pines

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 05:53:37 pm »
I'm pretty shook up. Two very famous people both suicides in less than a week?

I loved watching him on TV, and he wrote fiction like a dream. I'm really gutted

@Freya

I didn't know he was a fiction writer.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 06:07:21 pm »
@Freya

I didn't know he was a fiction writer.

@CatherineofAragon

Please read "kitchen confidential " or "medium raw". Incredible talent. And super enjoyable

Offline raml

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 06:12:24 pm »
Suicide is sad and it is not the answer but people who do this are not in their right mind. I know during a very short time of my life I was very very depressed I had a husband who was abusing me both physically and emotionally. I was going through a divorce to get away and was stopped by the judge who said if I left the house I would loose my two boys who were still home my other two were grown so I was stuck in our home with him and even after he went to jail for slugging me the judge still allowed him to stay. When he kept blocking the divorce which back in 1985 in Michigan could go on forever my depression was awful and I tried suicide. I meant it too I waited for everyone to go to bed started both cars in the garage took some over the counter sleeping pills and lay down in my car with a pillow and blanket and went to sleep didn't wake up till the next day my oldest my daughter was home for the weekend she never came downstairs to get a snack but that night she did and heard the cars and found me. Never since that night have I ever wanted to commit suicide. The judge was retired by force and I was given my divorce a few weeks later. I love life and always except for those few days after two years of continual abuse have thought I could do that. It made me a very strong woman after that I vowed never to let anyone or anything bury me in depression again and it hasn't. I love life and am so glad I didn't succeed I have now lived 33 years longer and enjoyed every minute of it. God was with me that night or I wouldn't be here but if I had died I do believe he would have understood how sick I was to try it the real me never would have I can barely believe it ever happened. These people just were to depressed to think straight.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 06:13:00 pm by raml »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 06:19:54 pm »
@dfwgator

I don't know about that, and I certainly hope not.  I've never seen a clear Scriptural answer for suicide.  If he was mentally ill, and he seems to have been, he wasn't in his right mind.  God would take that into account.

Totally Agree.  Though there are some who believe suicide for any reason means certain damnation even those that leaped out of the World Trade Center. Not sure where in the Bible they get that.  God is the perfect Judge no matter how we leave this World.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2018, 10:56:49 pm »
I'd never heard of Anthony Bourdain until today...

Offline mrclose

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 12:21:23 am »
Suicide is sad and it is not the answer but people who do this are not in their right mind. I know during a very short time of my life I was very very depressed I had a husband who was abusing me both physically and emotionally. I was going through a divorce to get away and was stopped by the judge who said if I left the house I would loose my two boys who were still home my other two were grown so I was stuck in our home with him and even after he went to jail for slugging me the judge still allowed him to stay. When he kept blocking the divorce which back in 1985 in Michigan could go on forever my depression was awful and I tried suicide. I meant it too I waited for everyone to go to bed started both cars in the garage took some over the counter sleeping pills and lay down in my car with a pillow and blanket and went to sleep didn't wake up till the next day my oldest my daughter was home for the weekend she never came downstairs to get a snack but that night she did and heard the cars and found me. Never since that night have I ever wanted to commit suicide. The judge was retired by force and I was given my divorce a few weeks later. I love life and always except for those few days after two years of continual abuse have thought I could do that. It made me a very strong woman after that I vowed never to let anyone or anything bury me in depression again and it hasn't. I love life and am so glad I didn't succeed I have now lived 33 years longer and enjoyed every minute of it. God was with me that night or I wouldn't be here but if I had died I do believe he would have understood how sick I was to try it the real me never would have I can barely believe it ever happened. These people just were to depressed to think straight.

A suggestion?
If you want folks to read your posts 'please' use line breaks and paragraphs.

My eyes are not as young as they use to be. 8888crybaby
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2018, 12:41:29 am »

Anthony Bourdain's history with Houston

By Jody Schmal and Greg Morago
June 8, 2018

In 2001, Houston barbecue pitmaker David Klose got a call from a TV producer asking if he would be willing to host a New York chef at his pit factory and take him out for great barbecue at a local joint.

"Just don't send me a chef with that froufrou hair, because we'll tear him apart," Klose said, referencing the rough-and-tumble welders and crew at his shop.

He need not have worried: That chef was Anthony Bourdain, who at the time was working on a barbecue-focused episode of his still-fairly-new Food Network show, "A Cook's Tour."

Klose had never heard of Bourdain, who died Friday at 61, but felt an immediate kinship when they met.

"I looked at his eyes," Klose recalled. "I said, 'yep, you are one of us.' He was crazy as a loon. He'd been around, you know what I mean? He was sharp. I don't think there was very much in life that got past him."

That was one of several visits Bourdain made to Houston over the years, for both TV shows and speaking engagements. While he was in town he dabbled in our restaurant scene – Klose took him for ribs at Burns BBQ in Acres Homes, by the way – and made an impression on many people he encountered.

During a trip in the 1990s, Bourdain dined at Mai's restaurant in Midtown. Years later, he said it was his favorite place to eat in Houston.

"From my limited time in Houston," he told the Chronicle in a 2010 interview, "I've come to believe it has some of the best Vietnamese (food) in the country, if not the best."

The acknowledgment profoundly affected business, said Mai's general manager Anna Pham.

"That he remembered his experience here was such an honor," Pham said of her mother Mai Nguyen's restaurant. "In our history at Mai's we will always go back to that time when we were truly a hole in the wall restaurant. It put us on the map."

Later that year, she was able to tell him how much his words meant to her family – who were in the process of reopening the restaurant after a devastating fire – during one of his speaking engagements presented by Society for the Performing Arts at Jones Hall.

"He helped bring notice to the Vietnamese community in Houston and allowed people to embrace it," Pham said. "He had such enthusiasm."

In 2012, Bourdain returned to Jones Hall, this time with chef Eric Ripert on a tour called "Good vs. Evil." Ripert found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning in France. His death was called a suicide.

Kathryn Lott, Society for the Performing Arts' then-director of operations, was struck by the closeness between the two men.

"They were genuine friends," she said. "He opened up so much more around Eric. When they were in their dressing rooms, they were nonstop inseparable."

Lott also noted that Bourdain always made sure he had local craft beer in his dressing room, and commented positively to her on the selection from Saint Arnold.

More:https://www.houstonchronicle.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/Anthony-Bourdain-s-history-with-Houston-12978378.php

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2018, 12:43:53 am »
@dfwgator

@CatherineofAragon

I saw the episode he filmed in Jerusalem and didn't care if I never saw another one of his films.  He laughed at the idea of religion, said he did not believe in God and he made fun of religious sites there.  I was shocked he did that.  He was kind in other countries about their customs, but he was like a different person in Jerusalem.  He wanted people to know he did not believe in God.