Author Topic: Masterpiece Cakeshop Is a Setback for Liberty  (Read 1876 times)

Offline endicom

Masterpiece Cakeshop Is a Setback for Liberty
« on: June 06, 2018, 12:06:25 am »
National Review
Andrew C. McCarthy
June 5, 2018

This was a straightforward free-expression case, and the Court could have resolved the dispute in favor of liberty.

I must respectfully disagree with the editors regarding the Supreme Court’s ruling in Masterpiece Cakeshop.

Professor Steve Vladek is right: The decision is “remarkably narrow.” One cannot help but be struck by the majority’s reticence from the outset: “Whatever the outcome of some future controversy involving facts similar to these, the Commission’s actions here violated the Free Exercise Clause.” Mind you, this is from the pen of Anthony Kennedy, a judicial supremacist who ordinarily interrupts his liberty bender only to scold the People — formerly known as the sovereign — to pipe down and quit grousing once the Robed Nine have spoken.

On this one, though, Justice Kennedy assures the Left it can grouse away. This ruling, in grudging accommodation of religious conviction, will not necessarily bear on the outcome “of some future controversy involving facts similar to these.”

More... https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/06/masterpiece-cakeshop-setback-liberty/

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Masterpiece Cakeshop Is a Setback for Liberty
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 12:28:40 am »
I absolutely concur with the analysis of the piece, and it dovetails what several TBR members here on the board have been saying.

SCROTUS punted on the key issues to rule on a technicality that they begrudgingly awarded in favor of the Baker, while maintaining silence on whether the right to free exercise of religion, free speech and freedom of association rights clash with the demand that service to abhorrent behaviors can be compelled.

As the analysis says - the next Jack Phillips will not be so lucky.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 12:34:46 am »

Perhaps not with the present composition of the Court. One or two replacements could change that.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 12:53:09 am »
Perhaps not with the present composition of the Court. One or two replacements could change that.

I'm as equally disgusted over the political reality that what remains of our liberties rests on the whims and makeup of who is seated on the SCROTUS.

All it means is that freedom is temporary and fleeting depending on the mood of the court and who is placed on it for life.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 03:12:26 am »
I absolutely concur with the analysis of the piece, and it dovetails what several TBR members here on the board have been saying.

SCROTUS punted on the key issues to rule on a technicality that they begrudgingly awarded in favor of the Baker, while maintaining silence on whether the right to free exercise of religion, free speech and freedom of association rights clash with the demand that service to abhorrent behaviors can be compelled.

Yes, I have to agree. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 12:58:20 pm »
Superb column and right on the money.

The SCOTUS decision was a disservice to the nation,  not to mention Mr. Phillips himself.   Phillips may have been absolved for his conduct in 2012,  but he stopped doing custom wedding cake orders to protect his business,  and today he still has no idea whether he can begin again to sell custom creations without being successfully sued. 

The only value in the majority opinion was the pronouncement that a religious objection to a customer's request must be accorded the same seriousness by the adjudicator as a secular one.   But beyond that,  it provides no guidance regarding the interaction of the customer's right not to be discriminated against in a public accommodation and the storeowner's rights of free exercise and free speech. 

McCarthy is absolutely right that the issue is that of free speech/free expression.   There is no suggestion whatsoever that the Court is going to revisit its ruling in Piggie Park, which for over 50 years has stood for the principle that a law of general application - such as the laws that exist in every state requiring storeowners not to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, etc., -  cannot be avoided by a claim of religion.   What is left is the free speech argument, that Phillips' creation of a custom wedding cake represents expressive, protected conduct - which was well articulated by Justice Thomas but joined only by Justice Gorsuch.

Because only two Justices appeared to warm to the free speech argument,  there can be only one of two conclusions - that the next Christian baker will be shot down, or that the facts in Masterpiece Cakeshop weren't clear enough to permit the free speech argument to be properly addressed.   There is evidence for the latter.  As I pointed out yesterday,  the record wasn't clear whether Phillips was refusing to create a custom wedding cake, or whether he was refusing to sell the gay couple even an off-the-shelf wedding cake.    If you go on the Masterpiece Cakeshop website,  you will see a gallery of wedding cakes (over 30 varieties),  and the invitation to choose a cake from the gallery or request a custom order.   However, the website has also said for several years now that until further notice no custom orders for wedding cakes will be accepted. 

So which is it, Mr. Phillips?   If a gay couple wants one of your wedding cakes from the gallery of non-custom designs, will you provide it?    If you will,  then I think you (or a similar Christian baker)  have a real shot at prevailing the next time you get sued for refusing a custom order.   Customization implies expression, which implies freedom of expression.    A refusal to serve an off-the-shelf product falls directly within the facts of Piggie Park - your religion doesn't trump your obligation to follow the law.   But you can refuse an offensive message and, maybe, just maybe,  you can refuse any custom order on the grounds of your free speech rights.  So says at least two of the SCOTUS's nine members.

Hopefully, the facts of the next case won't provide the Court with an excuse to punt. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 01:02:11 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 01:18:48 pm »

Quote from: JAZZHEAD
Superb column and right on the money.

Dogs and Cats, Living Together!!!  The lion, laying down with the lamb!!! There can be no stronger evidence that the Court failed in its duty than the agreement of these mutual nemeses.

I found McCarthy particularly compelling here :

" As the Court recounted, the Colorado Civil Rights Commission has on at least three occasions protected bakers who — quite understandably, and I think admirably — refused to make cakes that abominated gay couples. That is, the commissioners recognized the palpable free-speech implications. Well, the First Amendment safeguards our right to refrain from expressing not only what the government condemns but what it endorses; indeed, it is the latter that cries out for First Amendment protection. "
James 1:20

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 01:34:40 pm »
I found McCarthy particularly compelling here :

" As the Court recounted, the Colorado Civil Rights Commission has on at least three occasions protected bakers who — quite understandably, and I think admirably — refused to make cakes that abominated gay couples. That is, the commissioners recognized the palpable free-speech implications. Well, the First Amendment safeguards our right to refrain from expressing not only what the government condemns but what it endorses; indeed, it is the latter that cries out for First Amendment protection. "

Hypothetical question asked from genuine ignorance here:

Could this guy have baked some sort of cake that bashed these gay guys? One that "abominated" them?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 01:37:31 pm »
As I pointed out yesterday,  the record wasn't clear whether Phillips was refusing to create a custom wedding cake, or whether he was refusing to sell the gay couple even an off-the-shelf wedding cake.   

Why do you continue to lie about this?  It was reported in the beginning the following:

Charlie Craig entered the store, accompanied by his mother who had a book of ideas for gay weddings said to Phillips: "We’d like you to design a cake for our wedding" motioning to his partner David Mullins on the other side of the shop.

Phillips responds, " Sorry I can’t create specialty cakes for gay weddings. If you’d like, I can sell you anything else you want — cupcakes, pastries, whatever."

He was cursed, flipped off and the three left the store.

Within an hour he was getting irate phone calls from Homosexual Advocacy groups where he explained to them "I just don’t design cakes for same-sex weddings; I didn’t turn away anyone".

Not good enough - for the homo activists or you apparently because you keep defaulting to the lie that he refused to serve them because they were homos.

So which is it, Mr. Phillips?   If a gay couple wants one of your wedding cakes from the gallery of non-custom designs, will you provide it? 

It was already stated and you ignored it - that he offered them anything else in the store, they stormed out and went right to their Advocacy pals to punish him. 

A refusal to serve an off-the-shelf product falls directly within the facts of Piggie Park

You keep defaulting to that bullshit.  He did not refuse to sell them an off-the-shelf product.  He refused to make a homo-themed wedding cake.  You are obtusely (your world of choice) refusing to recognize the FACT that you cannot go to any bakery and just buy an off-the-shelf wedding cake.  Wedding cakes are custom made in probably most cases.

Also, the gallery you cited as evidence he refused to sell them any cake showcases your ignorance.  What his gallery online is, is his artistic portfolio of the kinds of cakes he is capable of creating, not that he has all of them sitting in a freezer in the back of his store.

Phillips said he does not create cakes for same sex ceremonies.  Period. 

Forcing someone to create artwork for products that celebrate something abhorrent to the artist and owner is a tyranny far more egregious than anything ever visited upon this people on these shores.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 01:41:28 pm »

Could this guy have baked some sort of cake that bashed these gay guys? One that "abominated" them?

You mean in place of the cake that they wanted?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 01:50:36 pm »

Probably would have resulted in a much worse situation for Phillips.

The fact is, he was targeted by Activists and they had him being harassed within an hour of the 30 second incident.  Had he made a cake that bashed homos, he might have been brought up on hate-crimes charges in addition to what he already suffered and would have most certainly lost every court case he was entered.

Some behaviors tied to the identity of a person is more equal than others.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 01:52:53 pm »
  He did not refuse to sell them an off-the-shelf product.  He refused to make a homo-themed wedding cake.  You are obtusely (your world of choice) refusing to recognize the FACT that you cannot go to any bakery and just buy an off-the-shelf wedding cake.  Wedding cakes are custom made in probably most cases. 

What the heck is a "homo-themed wedding cake"?   Pink frosting?   The record showed there was no discussion with the customer regarding any message for the cake.  All Phillips appeared to know was the purpose for which the cake would be used - for "our wedding", according to the customers.

I understand that any quality cake is baked fresh, but his website clearly shows a "gallery" of non-custom designs, together with the option of creating a custom order.   My question remains - and it is NOT addressed by the record - would Mr. Phillips have made a non-custom design for a gay customer's wedding?   If so, then I'd say he is obeying the law even if he refuses to employ his expressive conduct in designing a custom order.   But because those facts weren't clearly presented,  the Court punted.     

Phillips said he does not create cakes for same sex ceremonies.  Period.

You better hope those aren't the facts.  If they are, they fall squarely within those of Piggie Park and the baker loses.   

Forcing someone to create artwork for products that celebrate something abhorrent to the artist and owner is a tyranny far more egregious than anything ever visited upon this people on these shores.

That's the question the Court needs to address, and failed.   But a refusal to provide even a non-custom order is clearly against the law.   
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 01:54:41 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 02:24:24 pm »
What the heck is a "homo-themed wedding cake"?

Exactly what the homos wanted and were refused because Phillips does not create same-sex themed wedding cakes. 

My question remains - and it is NOT addressed by the record - would Mr. Phillips have made a non-custom design for a gay customer's wedding?

Why do you continue to push this bullshit narrative of yours?  Phillips stated plainly: "If you’d like, I can sell you anything else you want — cupcakes, pastries, whatever."

You better hope those aren't the facts.  If they are, they fall squarely within those of Piggie Park and the baker loses.

He said he does not create cakes for same sex weddings, period.  That is the fact.

Forcing someone to create a product for a behavior they find abhorrent is a tyranny of the worst sort - and if I was the Baker, I would tell you and the courts and the government to pound sand and Eff off.  I will not comply with such a demand.  Now, if that means you will use government agents to seize my business, property and impoverish me because I refuse to violate my conscience and create items to celebrate evil and perversion - then that is an advocacy for a tyranny unlike any seen on this continent before, and it will be resisted.

But a refusal to provide even a non-custom order is clearly against the law.

You talk out of both sides of your deceptive mouth you know that?

Typical bullshit slip and fall lawyer - if there is any shred of truth to what you project about yourself.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 02:31:43 pm »

I understand that any quality cake is baked fresh, but his website clearly shows a "gallery" of non-custom designs, together with the option of creating a custom order.   My question remains - and it is NOT addressed by the record - would Mr. Phillips have made a non-custom design for a gay customer's wedding?   If so, then I'd say he is obeying the law even if he refuses to employ his expressive conduct in designing a custom order.   But because those facts weren't clearly presented,  the Court punted.     

@Jazzhead what do you mean by "custom"?  I take that to mean a cake for which the customer chooses at least some of the features - flavor, size, shape, decorations, etc.  Are you suggesting that the baker would have been legal (in your opinion) had he offered to prepare from scratch a fresh cake that was identical in every respect to one pictured in his "gallery", such that the customers had no input whatsoever into the cake's features?

In my opinion that fails a Freedom of Expression test even more egregiously, because the "non-custom" cake is *exclusively* the expression of the baker, by definition.  The *only person* employing expressive conduct in this scenario is the baker, because no customer input, no "customization", is allowed.  You seem to be arguing that the only way the baker can legally practice his own freedom of conscience is to offer it completely to a belief he finds abhorrent.  Really???

Or do you believe that no expressive conduct occurs when the baker prepares a cake identical in every respect to a cake he has prepared previously?  Why would that be the case?  Is expressive conduct a one-time thing?  Once you've said it the first time you've used up all your First Amendment rights for that particular expression, and every later expression is unprotected?  Or is the only expressive conduct that which occurs as a result of customization, hence the expression of the customer rather than the baker, so the baker is to this expression no more than the printing press is to written expression?

To be clear, my position is that the act of preparing the cake on order for a particular event, with or without decoration, with or without customer input on the cake's features, is to the baker an act of expression.  Accepting customer input makes it a collaborative expression, but inherently it is expression by the baker.  Items already in the baker's shop ready for sale were of course prepared by the baker as well, but not for a particular purpose, only for offer as a transaction, a transaction he was happy to complete with the homosexual would-be customers.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2018, 02:36:02 pm »
Dogs and Cats, Living Together!!!  The lion, laying down with the lamb!!! There can be no stronger evidence that the Court failed in its duty than the agreement of these mutual nemeses.

The Millennium I proclaimed in 6 above was certainly short-lived .........

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 02:46:27 pm »

That was due to reading waaaaay more into it than was there.

We only agreed that the SCROTUS punted on the key and core issues that would have actually settled whether or not the first Amendment still exists or not.

Offline endicom

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 02:47:46 pm »
Typical bullshit slip and fall lawyer...

That brings up another problem, having at all times to know what is permissible speech and action. And that is not possible.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 02:51:09 pm »
That was due to reading waaaaay more into it than was there.

We only agreed that the SCROTUS punted on the key and core issues that would have actually settled whether or not the first Amendment still exists or not.

Yeah I knew that @INVAR, but I was hoping (naively) that if you two fellows could agree on something, anything, maybe you would find it within yourselves to get past some of the antagonism.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 02:53:23 pm »
Yeah I knew that @INVAR, but I was hoping (naively) that if you two fellows could agree on something, anything, maybe you would find it within yourselves to get past some of the antagonism.

Nope.  I do not suffer Deceivers, liars and wannabe tyrants.

He is demonstrably both.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 02:53:57 pm »
@Jazzhead what do you mean by "custom"?  I take that to mean a cake for which the customer chooses at least some of the features - flavor, size, shape, decorations, etc.  Are you suggesting that the baker would have been legal (in your opinion) had he offered to prepare from scratch a fresh cake that was identical in every respect to one pictured in his "gallery", such that the customers had no input whatsoever into the cake's features?

In my opinion that fails a Freedom of Expression test even more egregiously, because the "non-custom" cake is *exclusively* the expression of the baker, by definition.  The *only person* employing expressive conduct in this scenario is the baker, because no customer input, no "customization", is allowed.  You seem to be arguing that the only way the baker can legally practice his own freedom of conscience is to offer it completely to a belief he finds abhorrent.  Really???

Or do you believe that no expressive conduct occurs when the baker prepares a cake identical in every respect to a cake he has prepared previously?  Why would that be the case?  Is expressive conduct a one-time thing?  Once you've said it the first time you've used up all your First Amendment rights for that particular expression, and every later expression is unprotected?  Or is the only expressive conduct that which occurs as a result of customization, hence the expression of the customer rather than the baker, so the baker is to this expression no more than the printing press is to written expression?

To be clear, my position is that the act of preparing the cake on order for a particular event, with or without decoration, with or without customer input on the cake's features, is to the baker an act of expression.  Accepting customer input makes it a collaborative expression, but inherently it is expression by the baker.  Items already in the baker's shop ready for sale were of course prepared by the baker as well, but not for a particular purpose, only for offer as a transaction, a transaction he was happy to complete with the homosexual would-be customers.

@HoustonSam   Then how do you distinguish the Court's decision in Piggie Park?    There,  refusing to serve black customers the items on the Piggie Park's menu was unlawful, notwithstanding the restaurant owner's claim that race mixing was against his religion.   I'm sure the restaurant owner was proud of his pork sandwiches, but they are non-custom menu items and preparing one for his customer did not amount to "free expression". 

Similarly,  the crux of the Masterpiece Cakeshop case should have been the free expression inherent in working with a customer on creating a custom cake.   Such customization can,  I think, justifiably be claimed to be expressive conduct that can be distinguished from the bigot who wouldn't serve his advertised menu items to black customers.   So long as Phillips will sell his non-custom wedding cake designs to any customer, they I would argue he is obeying the law even if he refuses to create custom orders for gay weddings.   

That may strike you as a compromise.  But is it one that recognizes the legitimate rights of both the baker and his customer.  If cats and dogs are every truly going to live together,  reasonable compromises that respect the rights of both parties, even if imperfectly, seem to be the place to start.     
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 02:56:43 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 02:58:01 pm »

@HoustonSam , I am willing to discuss any issue with any member of this board in good faith. 

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 03:18:04 pm »
@HoustonSam   Then how do you distinguish the Court's decision in Piggie Park?    There,  refusing to serve black customers the items on the Piggie Park's menu was unlawful, notwithstanding the restaurant owner's claim that race mixing was against his religion.   I'm sure the restaurant owner was proud of his pork sandwiches, but they are non-custom menu items and preparing one for his customer did not amount to "free expression". 

Similarly,  the crux of the Masterpiece Cakeshop case should have been the free expression inherent in working with a customer on creating a custom cake.   Such customization can,  I think, justifiably be claimed to be expressive conduct that can be distinguished from the bigot who wouldn't serve his advertised menu items to black customers.   So long as Phillips will sell his non-custom wedding cake designs to any customer, they I would argue he is obeying the law even if he refuses to create custom orders for gay weddings.   

That may strike you as a compromise.  But is it one that recognizes the legitimate rights of both the baker and his customer.  If cats and dogs are every truly going to live together,  reasonable compromises that respect the rights of both parties, even if imperfectly, seem to be the place to start.     

I'm not familiar enough with the Piggie Park case to say anything intelligent about it.  Again, @Jazzhead, the baker in no way refused to sell items to the homosexuals.  He offered them anything available in his shop.  He refused to make an item for a ceremony he found abhorrent.  If the owner of Piggie Park BBQ felt that race-mixing violated his religion, I suspect he demurred to sell black people anything and perhaps tried to keep them out of his establishment.  Nothing like that happened in the bakery.  Furthermore BBQ sandwiches, in my experience, are never decorated to make any kind of statement, and cakes are routinely so decorated.  There is a sound argument that a cake is an expression and a BBQ sandwich is not.

You say above : "So long as Phillips will sell his non-custom wedding cake designs to any customer, they I would argue he is obeying the law even if he refuses to create custom orders for gay weddings."  Do you actually mean so long as Phillips *makes* a fresh wedding cake for any customer?  I think that is the crux of the disagreement on this board - can the baker be forced to *make* something from scratch for a purpose he finds abhorrent?  It's been stated multiple times that he never refused to *sell* to the homosexuals.  I'll stand by the distinctions I drew in the post to which you have just replied.

And yes, compromise is necessary.  It's not inherently an evil thing, but many specific compromises are evil.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2018, 03:18:13 pm »
@HoustonSam   Then how do you distinguish the Court's decision in Piggie Park?    There,  refusing to serve black customers the items on the Piggie Park's menu was unlawful, notwithstanding the restaurant owner's claim that race mixing was against his religion.       

You once again willfully convolute BEHAVIOR and PERVERTED SEXUAL PREFERENCES with SKIN COLOR or GENDER.

No one can be forced to participate in celebrating behaviors they find perverted, evil and abhorrent.  The moment a government compels such behavior under threat of punishment - you have a tyranny.

One which is more overtly heinous than what our Forbears faced.  Not even the King of England was forcing the colonists to embrace and serve deviant and wicked behaviors.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2018, 04:11:03 pm »
@HoustonSam , I am willing to discuss any issue with any member of this board in good faith.

I usually see good faith in the tone of your comments @Jazzhead , and I appreciate that; it's a standard I hope to maintain.

But there is more to good faith than tone; "good faith" also means replying directly to a question or argument made by someone else, and directly comparing critical details of your position to critical details of the other guy's position.  That's what I tried to do when I asked you what you mean by "custom", I explained through questions why I found your suggested compromise ineffective, and I made clear as best I could my position.  But you did not respond directly to any of that.  You did not explain what you meant by "custom" and you offered no reaction to my argument that you're actually forcing the baker to surrender *completely* his own self-expression.  Instead you referenced a different case and simply re-stated your own position, just talking past me without addressing me at all.  So you actually left on the table my entire position with no rebuttal; I can only conclude that you concede it completely.

I've tried again to be clear and, I hope, intellectually honest by suggesting that the crux of the conflict on this board might be saying "sell" when we mean "make."  I believe a fair compromise would be to require selling what is already prepared but not to require making something fresh for a specific purpose.  Can you please speak to that suggestion directly?

Unfortunately your reputation is for avoiding direct, intellectually honest discussion, ignoring critical analysis, evading questions, and simply re-stating your own position ad nauseum.  That approach is not considered discussion in good faith, no matter how courteously it might be stated.  I believe that you do intend to discuss in good faith, so I hope you'll consider this input constructive.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2018, 04:34:05 pm »
I usually see good faith in the tone of your comments @Jazzhead , and I appreciate that; it's a standard I hope to maintain.

But there is more to good faith than tone; "good faith" also means replying directly to a question or argument made by someone else, and directly comparing critical details of your position to critical details of the other guy's position.  That's what I tried to do when I asked you what you mean by "custom", I explained through questions why I found your suggested compromise ineffective, and I made clear as best I could my position.  But you did not respond directly to any of that.  You did not explain what you meant by "custom" and you offered no reaction to my argument that you're actually forcing the baker to surrender *completely* his own self-expression.  Instead you referenced a different case and simply re-stated your own position, just talking past me without addressing me at all.  So you actually left on the table my entire position with no rebuttal; I can only conclude that you concede it completely.

I've tried again to be clear and, I hope, intellectually honest by suggesting that the crux of the conflict on this board might be saying "sell" when we mean "make."  I believe a fair compromise would be to require selling what is already prepared but not to require making something fresh for a specific purpose.  Can you please speak to that suggestion directly?

Unfortunately your reputation is for avoiding direct, intellectually honest discussion, ignoring critical analysis, evading questions, and simply re-stating your own position ad nauseum.  That approach is not considered discussion in good faith, no matter how courteously it might be stated.  I believe that you do intend to discuss in good faith, so I hope you'll consider this input constructive.

Thanks for your response, @HoustonSam .   I do accept it as constructive criticism.  Keep in mind the dynamic of this board.  I am in the distinct minority here, and find it impractical to reply to all.  So I often provide responses that try to address points made by various posters.   

I don't believe your formulation works with respect to a restaurant or purveyor of food products that, by their nature, require fresh preparation.   Each posts a menu representing what the storeowner will make or prepare for the customer.   He's under no obligation to make something not on the menu.   (As an example, a kosher butcher is under no obligation to serve a customer's demand for pork).   But the crux of the non-discrimination rule is that that he will serve (in this context, make or prepare)  any item he's chosen to place on his menu to any customer who walks in the door to request it.   And why shouldn't a customer have the right to expect a restaurant or bakery to make what his menu says,  without regard to the color of the customer's skin, or gender, or religion, or (as here) sexual orientation?   Isn't the power dynamic with the storeowner?   

I am comfortable with the idea that "artistry" is inherently personal,  and that an artist can refuse a commission (indeed, that's hardly controversial, but here the context is the owner of a public accommodation, for which special rules apply,  who also portrays himself to be an artist).    The restaurant owner in Piggie Park thought he made the best BBQ in the South (indeed, the shop, still family owned, continues to this day).   But he still couldn't deny the sandwiches he prepared to black customers on the basis of his religious belief that the races should not mix.    A LAW OF GENERAL APPLICATION CANNOT BE AVOIDED BY CITING RELIGION.   That's not a controversial statement;  the Court has held that view for years and continues to do so.

What is unique, and which provides the basis for compromise,  is the idea that freedom of speech and expression (NOT the free exercise of religion)  may permit a baker serving the public to refrain from providing certain services to gay people.   But the idea only holds weight if the exercise of speech/expression, if forced by the state, is oppressive.   Asking the baker to provide the same non-custom menu items he advertises to the public to be provided to all is not oppressive.   But forcing him to use his artistic talents in an individualized manner to support a customer who he believes is acting sinfully may well be oppressive, and unconstitutional.

Thomas's opinion spells out a lot of this, but as of now only one other Justice has joined him.   I think that's because Phillips' commitment to obey the law with respect to his non-customized wedding cakes was unclear from the record.  Yes,  he "makes" such non-customized wedding cakes.  But he has advertised such cakes to the public.   Why shouldn't he be obliged to keep his word?   

Again - and I understand you haven't read the case - the immediate task is to distinguish Phillips from Piggie Park.   I have suggested a way to do so (sell non-customized wedding cakes to all;  exercise conscience with respect to custom orders where expressive conduct is involved).   Is that a compromise?  Sure - but it is respectful of the legitimate rights and expectations of both the baker and his customer.

I hope that helps, Houstonsam.   I appreciate your constructive criticism, and the comity you display.     
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 04:40:30 pm by Jazzhead »