Author Topic: Trump Announces that the Summit with North Korea in Singapore is Back On  (Read 697 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: NBC News

URL: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/trump-north-korea-nuclear-summit-back-n879311

by Jonathan Allen

The North Korea nuclear summit is back on.

President Donald Trump announced the decision after a historic Oval Office meeting Friday with Kim Yong Chol, who is the top deputy to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

"We'll be meeting on June 12th in Singapore," Trump told reporters at the White House. But he also said that it would be hard to reach a deal from a single summit in less than two weeks.

"I don't see that happening," he said. "I told him I think you could have probably [other meetings]."

Trump's original plan to sit down with Kim Jong Un in Singapore June 12 was temporarily derailed after Kim Jong Un interpreted top U.S. officials' public discussion of following the "Libya model" in North Korea as a threat. Trump wrote a letter canceling the summit May 24, but held out hope it could be rescheduled.

At a minimum, Trump is eager to convince Kim Jong Un to curtail his capacity to reach the United States with nuclear weapons, and the North Koreans want relief from crippling U.S. and international sanctions. A State Department official said Thursday that the U.S. is still looking for an agreement from Kim to give up all of his nuclear capabilities.

(Excerpt) Read more at above link ...

Offline SirLinksALot

So folks, what do you think?  Who blinked?

Offline Frank Cannon

Just more evidence......Trump is GOD!!!!

Offline Applewood

Trump says the summit is on.  What does Kim say?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Well, he also said he never canceled it. Nothing means anything anymore.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Offline edpc

The U.S. is trying to find a discreet way to pay for Kim Jong Un’s hotel during the summit

The prideful but cash-poor pariah state requires that a foreign country foot the bill at its preferred lodging: the Fullerton, a magnificent neoclassical hotel near the mouth of the Singapore River, where just one presidential suite costs more than $6,000 per night.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/the-us-is-trying-to-find-a-discreet-way-to-pay-for-kim-jong-uns-hotel-in-singapore/2018/06/01/776055ce-9745-439e-9ee4-c0cef8e81523_story.html?utm_term=.11eb753dc71f

Let's see how long Kim gets away with pulling a Rotando.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The U.S. is trying to find a discreet way to pay for Kim Jong Un’s hotel during the summit

So the bleep what.

Offline edpc

So the bleep what.

So, disabuse yourself of the notion this junket for the bowl cut fat punk will lead to the Pax Koreana.

Offline Concerned

I think the North Korean leader just sitting down with the US President is a huge propaganda win for North Korea.  Trump is already lowering expectations about this summit resulting in true denuclearization by saying that he sees the meeting as “I think it's a 'getting to know you' meeting-plus…”.  I see no scenario where Kim actually gets rid of his nuclear weapons (after spending decades building them) and allowing inspectors free-rein into the country to conduct verification. 

I just think the preferred approach would have been extensive, behind-the-scenes negotiations yielding high-confidence in success PRIOR to the US President handing Kim a big propaganda win.  The self-described “great deal-maker” hasn’t made a plethora of great deals in his first year and a half, and I’ve seen no evidence to indicate he’ll do it with Kim (unfortunately – although I’m sure his ego makes him think he can  *****rollingeyes*****).
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.