Author Topic: AMA Pushes 'Unprecedented' Gun Control Agenda As Congress Dithers  (Read 3139 times)

Offline thackney

AMA Pushes 'Unprecedented' Gun Control Agenda As Congress Dithers
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapsen/2018/05/27/ama-pushes-unprecedented-gun-control-agenda-as-congress-dithers/#5119e7a469ef

Bruce Japsen , CONTRIBUTOR
I write about healthcare business and policy 
Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
TWEET THIS
the AMA’s policy-making House of Delegates will consider nearly a dozen proposals on gun control and public safety

Staff and students comfort each other outside Noblesville West Middle School after a shooting at the school May 25, 2018 in Noblesville, Indiana. (Photo: Kevin Moloney/Getty Images)

Physician members of the American Medical Association are pushing the nation’s largest doctor group to back an “unprecedented” number of measures designed to curb gun violence and coax Congress into action.

Early next month, the AMA’s policy-making House of Delegates will consider nearly a dozen proposals on gun control and public safety measures in the wake of 28 school shootings this year alone including last week's at Noblesville West Middle School in Indiana. Action at the AMA meeting, which runs June 9-13 in Chicago, will put the group’s considerable lobbying clout behind legislation heading into November’s mid-term elections when gun control measures are expected to be key issues.

“Gun violence in America today is a public health crisis, one that requires a comprehensive and far-reaching solution,” AMA president Dr. David O. Barbe said. “This is an important issue, as demonstrated by an unprecedented number of gun violence prevention proposals that physicians have submitted for discussion during the upcoming AMA policy-making meeting.”

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Re: AMA Pushes 'Unprecedented' Gun Control Agenda As Congress Dithers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:56:43 pm »
How about working on a greater cause of death?

The third-leading cause of death in US most doctors don't want you to know about
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medical-errors-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-america.html

A recent Johns Hopkins study claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000.

Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.

Advocates are fighting back, pushing for greater legislation for patient safety.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 12:59:41 pm »
Congress needs to get off their ass (yea yeah I know) and do something to strengthen 2A protections.  The gun grabbers aren't resting and before we know it...the anti 2A types and all their well funded organizations will have gutted the 2A before Conservatives and the GOP know what hit them.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 01:03:43 pm »
Congress needs to get off their ass (yea yeah I know) and do something to strengthen 2A protections.  The gun grabbers aren't resting and before we know it...the anti 2A types and all their well funded organizations will have gutted the 2A before Conservatives and the GOP know what hit them.

@txradioguy
There were bills in the House which would have strengthened the 2A (Reciprocity) but then a well timed school shooting killed all support for it and Ryan pulled the bill.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 01:06:11 pm »
@txradioguy
There were bills in the House which would have strengthened the 2A (Reciprocity) but then a well timed school shooting killed all support for it and Ryan pulled the bill.

@driftdiver

Another reason why Ryan needs to go.  We need (and probably won't get) a Speaker that won't wither in the face of the gun grabbers and their scary rhetoric.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline endicom

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 01:18:50 pm »

Something like one quarter of MDs are AMA members. The membership has long been dwindling.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 01:37:19 pm »
How about working on a greater cause of death? ...

A recent Johns Hopkins study claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000.

Medical errors are the third-leading cause of death after heart disease and cancer.
Not to mention deadly infections like MRSA and staph that hospital patients so often acquire, thanks to poor hygiene on the part of hospital employees.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 01:54:06 pm »
Went to my cardiologist a few months ago and filled out a form with his outfit. They wanted me to state whether there were guns in the house.  I skipped it.

Like that was a medical condition.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 02:04:12 pm »
Keep in mind your doctor can effectively remove your 2a rights.   If they decide you are unstable and a danger to those around you or yourself.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 02:29:27 pm »
Keep in mind your doctor can effectively remove your 2a rights.   If they decide you are unstable and a danger to those around you or yourself.

Is it your view that an individual who is "unstable and a danger to himself and those around him" should be able to have a gun?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline thackney

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 02:33:50 pm »
Is it your view that an individual who is "unstable and a danger to himself and those around him" should be able to have a gun?

Is there due process with that and an established method to dispute and remove that claim?

Or does that doctor check a box and notify police to come take your property without notice?

Does that person still get to drive their car?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 02:37:05 pm by thackney »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 02:37:45 pm »
Went to my cardiologist a few months ago and filled out a form with his outfit. They wanted me to state whether there were guns in the house.  I skipped it.

Like that was a medical condition.

For awhile they were asking kids about whether there were guns in the house during medical visits.

I told mine that if they were asked that question to tell the doctor to ask me and/or their mom.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 02:38:36 pm »

How is your eye doctor qualified to make that determination?  Or your internal medicine doctor?

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 02:44:10 pm »

@Jazzhead
Its my view that if a person is going to lose their 2a rights because they are dangerous that the decision should be made in a court of law.   NOT from a single individual who may have a political agenda they are pushing.

Do you feel people have a right to a fair hearing in a court of law before their rights are revoked without due process?

Offline skeeter

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 02:45:43 pm »

Heavens no. Nor should they have access to sleeping pills, lengths of rope or sharp objects either. Will the doctor be asking about those objects as well?

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 03:08:04 pm »
@Jazzhead
Its my view that if a person is going to lose their 2a rights because they are dangerous that the decision should be made in a court of law.   NOT from a single individual who may have a political agenda they are pushing.

:thumbsup:

And if they are a real danger to themselves and others, a gun isn't the only concern with this individual.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 03:09:47 pm »
:thumbsup:

And if they are a real danger to themselves and others, a gun isn't the only concern with this individual.

I also believe that if a person isn't safe to own a firearm then perhaps they shouldn't be on the street.   There are plenty of other weapons available let alone the possibility of them..... GASP....... illegally possessing a firearm.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 03:10:23 pm »
@Jazzhead
Why don't you believe in due process?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 04:23:43 pm »
@Jazzhead

Do you feel people have a right to a fair hearing in a court of law before their rights are revoked without due process?

@driftdiver    Of course I agree with that.  The individual must be afforded due process.  Your original statement was that "your doctor can effectively remove your 2A rights".   Obviously,  a doctor cannot do that by himself, but his expert opinion may well form the basis for a court's decision.

My question went to the threshold issue of whether an individual who is unstable and a danger to himself or others should be able to have a gun.   You haven't answered that.   But that first question must be addressed before proceeding to the questions regarding how instability is determined and what proof must be provided in order to take a gun away.   

Assuming that you agree that an unstable/dangerous person should not have a gun,  what in your view is the role to be played by expert medical opinion in reaching that determination? 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:26:25 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2018, 04:25:00 pm »
@Jazzhead
Why don't you believe in due process?

Where the hell are you getting that from, @driftdiver

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2018, 04:34:35 pm »
@driftdiver    Of course I agree with that.  The individual must be afforded due process.  Your original statement was that "your doctor can effectively remove your 2A rights".   Obviously,  a doctor cannot do that by himself, but his expert opinion may well form the basis for a court's decision.

My question went to the threshold issue of whether an individual who is unstable and a danger to himself or others should be able to have a gun.   You haven't answered that.   But that first question must be addressed before proceeding to the questions regarding how instability is determined and what proof must be provided in order to take a gun away.   

Assuming that you agree that an unstable/dangerous person should not have a gun,  what in your view is the role to be played by expert medical opinion in reaching that determination?

@Jazzhead
Depends on your definition of "unstable".   This issue has been abused by governments throughout history to control people they don't like.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2018, 04:40:00 pm »
@Jazzhead
Depends on your definition of "unstable".   This issue has been abused by governments throughout history to control people they don't like.

If you are concerned with government "controlling people they don't like", then it seems to me you ought to agree that instability should be addressed by expert medical opinion, especially the opinion of the individual's own physician.   

Offline Applewood

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2018, 05:03:19 pm »
Something like one quarter of MDs are AMA members. The membership has long been dwindling.

My primary physician has a few choice words for the AMA.  Get him started and you will hear a barrage of nasty words that will curl your hair. 

Doc blames the AMA for Obamacare and all the headaches that go with it. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2018, 05:18:06 pm »
My question went to the threshold issue of whether an individual who is unstable and a danger to himself or others should be able to have a gun.   You haven't answered that.

@Jazzhead
No, that really isn't the question... The question is, how the hell are you going to stop him from owning a gun, even if he shouldn't?

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2018, 05:23:00 pm »
If you are concerned with government "controlling people they don't like", then it seems to me you ought to agree that instability should be addressed by expert medical opinion, especially the opinion of the individual's own physician.   

@Jazzhead
In this case the doctor has the legal authority to withdraw a persons 2A amend rights without due process.   It seems you support that current process.