Author Topic: Senator McCain's November seat not up for grabs after midnight deadline passes  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Senator McCain's November seat not up for grabs after midnight deadline passes
ABC 15/Arizona, May 31, 2018

PHOENIX - A key deadline quietly passed overnight, with huge political implications in Arizona and across the country.

Senator John McCain's seat will officially not be up for grabs this November. That deadline passed at midnight and it's important for several reasons, especially for Republicans who are fighting to keep control in the Senate in the upcoming November mid-terms.

Sen. McCain is battling brain cancer and hasn't returned to Washington in months.

Arizona Governor Doug Ducey's office confirmed that he and First Lady Angela Ducey met with the McCains near Sedona on Tuesday.

Since the midnight deadline passed, Ducey would appoint someone to McCain's seat should he step down.

A statement from the governor's spokesperson made it clear he hopes Sen. McCain will serve until his term is over in 2022.

More:  https://www.abc15.com/news/national/senator-mccains-november-seat-not-up-for-grabs-after-midnight-deadline-passes

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I'm not sure what this is. Saying that McCain will serve his full term is retarded, ridiculous, and absurd.
He has already said that he is unable to fulfill the obligations of his office, he as already said that he will never return to Washington D.C., he has already said that he will never cast another vote. What...? That is what any sane person would call 'quitting', or at least retiring.

What does this mean? I don't know? This is one of the most insane things I have ever seen in politics. I..I..I'm..what?

I demand an official state 'heath and welfare' check every week to see if the guy is still alive or not. And, they have to actually see him and hear him speak.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:30:33 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline libertybele

Gov. Doug Ducey is a real piece of work.  Hoping that McCain will 'serve' until 2022?  McCain is clearly incapacitated and hasn't sat in his Senate seat in nearly 6 mos.  So McCain hasn't done a darn thing to warrant getting paid, nor has he done a darn thing for his constituents.  What he is doing is despicable and I'm hoping that someone in Congress brings up a bill that will prevent this issue from happening in the future!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

My heart bleeds for my Good Friends in Arizona as if McCain and his shenanigans weren't enough they got stuck with that fool Flake, also. 
   The State that gave us Barry Goldwater is critically without any Senate Representation.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Rivergirl

The Gov. is about to appoint Cindy McCain to her husband's seat.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Yeah, Great!
When I die I want my wife to take over. Because they deserve IT!

Let my wife deal with yu'z assoholes....
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:18:36 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

@Rivergirl

I'm not sure this is a done deal.  Especially since Ducey's opponent in the governor's primary race is running, in part, on the promise not to appoint McCain's wife to the Senate.

PHOENIX, AZ — Arizona gubernatorial candidate Ken Bennett has promised he will not appoint Cindy McCain to the Senate if he's elected in November. Bennett, the former Arizona Secretary of State, tweeted Thursday afternoon: "I promise I will not appoint Cindy McCain to US Senate as Gov of AZ. #bennettforgov."

Bennett, who is facing incumbent Republican Gov. Doug Ducey in the primary election, delved into the controversial issue of who might replace sitting U.S. Sen. John McCain — who is battling an aggressive form of brain cancer — should the seat be vacated.

https://patch.com/arizona/phoenix/gov-candidate-ken-bennett-wont-appoint-mccains-wife-seat

PHOENIX -- Incumbent Gov. Doug Ducey isn't going to get a free ride to the November election.

Republican Ken Bennett filed enough signatures by Wednesday's 5 p.m. deadline to also get his name on the GOP gubernatorial ballot. But Bennett, a former secretary of state, remains an underdog in the Aug. 28 race, not only because Ducey is an incumbent but because the governor already has more than three times as much money as Bennett can ever hope to collect: He will get $839,704 in public financing if he qualifies; Ducey, running with private donations, already has collected nearly $3.4 million.

Whoever wins that fight will face off against which of the three Democrats manages to win that party's gubernatorial primary. Educator David Garcia, state Sen. Steve Farley and Kelly Fryer, the CEO of the YWCA of Southern Arizona, also met the deadline.

https://www.verdenews.com/news/2018/may/31/prescotts-ken-bennett-challenge-ducey-governors-ra/

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:50:43 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Frank Cannon

Senator McCain's November seat not up for grabs after midnight deadline passes

What type of sick freak would want to grab a wrinkle old man's seat anyway. Really.

Offline mrclose

What am I not understanding?

If a Senator happens to die while in ofice, what is the succession procedure?

You can find the answer in the 17th amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

Not only did the 17th amendment establish the process for electing senators, but it also explained how vacant seats are to be filled.

If a vacancy occurs due to death, resignation, or expulsion the amendment allows the state legislature to empower the governor to appoint a replacement. That replacement would hold the seat until the end of the senator's current term or until a special election could be held.

The only exception is Arizona. The Grand Canyon State requires a special election for all vacancies and does not allow any temporary replacements.

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online Hoodat

So McCain is unable to fulfill the duties of his job, yet he still expects to get paid for it.  Because his paycheck is more important than the State of Arizona having representation in the Senate.

THIS is what is wrong with politics in America.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline RoosGirl

@Rivergirl

I'm not sure this is a done deal.  Especially since Ducey's opponent in the governor's primary race is running, in part, on the promise not to appoint McCain's wife to the Senate.

I think the answer to the question is in the articles you excerpted.  We were all betting that McCain has to be alive until today, but it's actually August 29, after the Republican primary.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ducey shuts down rumors of Cindy McCain’s appointment to Senate
http://ktar.com/story/2089279/ducey-shuts-down-rumors-of-cindy-mccains-appointment-to-senate/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
So McCain is unable to fulfill the duties of his job, yet he still expects to get paid for it.  Because his paycheck is more important than the State of Arizona having representation in the Senate.

THIS is what is wrong with politics in America.

@Hoodat  That is not the reason McCain is hanging on.  It's his overwhelming vanity and hate that keeps him going.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline RoosGirl

Ducey shuts down rumors of Cindy McCain’s appointment to Senate
http://ktar.com/story/2089279/ducey-shuts-down-rumors-of-cindy-mccains-appointment-to-senate/

The title doesn't really match the article.  Ducey just said "there is no vacancy", and technically there isn't.  He never said, at least it was not reported in that article, that he wouldn't appoint Cindy when there is a vacancy.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The title doesn't really match the article.  Ducey just said "there is no vacancy", and technically there isn't.  He never said, at least it was not reported in that article, that he wouldn't appoint Cindy when there is a vacancy.

Cindy has 'trump hair.'

Offline RoosGirl

Cindy has 'trump hair.'

I have no clue what that means.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I have no clue what that means.

Your first 4 words are correct.

Offline RoosGirl

I didn't realize you were in to brevity.  If that is the case I could have cut it down to 2 words for you.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
mystery wrote:
"Ducey shuts down rumors of Cindy McCain’s appointment to Senate
http://ktar.com/story/2089279/ducey-shuts-down-rumors-of-cindy-mccains-appointment-to-senate/"

The title of the article is misleading.
Ducey DID NOT say who he would or would not appoint to a vacancy if such vacancy becomes available.
He said next-to-nothing at all.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Doesn't the Senate have a process for expelling incapacitated persons? If so, why don't they use it?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fantom

Ok, sorry Roos....but that was funny.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Fantom

Doesn't the Senate have a process for expelling incapacitated persons? If so, why don't they use it?

Never kicked Ted Kennedy out...no matter how drunk he was.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline RoosGirl

Ok, sorry Roos....but that was funny.

If she was kidding around it would be funny, but she's just being a nasty old woman again... still... whatever.