Author Topic: The radical populist party that shook Italy's establishment  (Read 293 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The radical populist party that shook Italy's establishment

Francesco Berti is showing me around Italy’s parliament, his new place of work. At 27 years old (“nearly 28,” he reminds me more than once), Berti has just been elected to the Chamber of Deputies as part of Five Star Movement — a radical populist party that shook the foundations of Italian politics in recent elections.

“They know just by looking at me that I’m Five Star,” Berti says, as we pass others. That’s partly due to his age. Most Five Star deputies are in their 30s or younger — Five Star leader Luigi Di Maio is only 31. But Berti also doesn’t quite know his way around the building yet, and it shows. He’s a bit like an impostor sneaking down the grand corridors of the 18th-century Palazzo di Montecitorio.

In a way, Berti and his Five Star colleagues are impostors. Five Star participated in its first national election in 2013, gaining 25 percent of the vote. In new elections on March 4, it was the top vote-getter, with 33 percent. The party began as an anti-establishment protest movement in the wake of the economic crisis, when Italy endured its longest recession on record.

Read more at: https://www.pri.org/stories/2018-05-07/radical-populist-party-shook-italys-establishment

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: The radical populist party that shook Italy's establishment
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 10:51:54 pm »
I browsed through the entire article at the source, and found no mention whatsoever regarding how this new party regards muslim/African migration into Italy.

I'm guessing someone (perhaps the people who published this article) doesn't want that revealed...