Author Topic: Landrieu admin might've improperly diverted millions in New Orleans property taxes, docs show  (Read 603 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Mayor Mitch Landrieu's administration may have improperly diverted millions of dollars in property taxes meant for schools, flood protection, drainage, public safety and neighborhood improvements to several state retirement systems.
That’s according to a lawyer for the Downtown Development District and documents filed in its lawsuit seeking a refund of about $400,000.
According to state Supreme Court rulings and an Attorney General’s Office opinion, local governments are not allowed to use property taxes for expenses not approved by voters. However, from at least 2014 to 2016, the city used between $3.7 million and $4.2 million of those taxes to contribute to state pension funds.....

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/news/article_417b909a-556a-11e8-8b01-2f36c484ca8f.html

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

This is Louisiana.

The same tactic was used to drain levee funds prior to Katrina that caused shoddy levees to collapse during that flood. and the consequential damage and loss of life.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GrouchoTex

Landrieu admin might've improperly diverted millions in New Orleans property taxes, docs show

Naw, not in Nawlins!
Say it ain't so!
Louisiana politics make Texas politics look downright saintly!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Landrieu admin might've improperly diverted millions in New Orleans property taxes, docs show

Naw, not in Nawlins!
Say it ain't so!
Louisiana politics make Texas politics look downright saintly!

Exactly.....    Corruption is a competitive sport in NOLA.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Exactly.....    Corruption is a competitive sport in NOLA.
When I lived outside of NOLA, I recall talking with a local on what happened to a Sheriff's detective who I had read was sent to jail.

He told me that he was caught misusing Parish assets by taking a Parish car up to Tennessee to visit his son in school there.

During the trial, the guy's only defense was 'everyone does it'.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington