Author Topic: Trump extends lifeline to sanctioned tech company ZTE  (Read 1227 times)

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Trump extends lifeline to sanctioned tech company ZTE
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 10:03:00 pm »
Why???

Because the world needs more poorly built, poorly performing Samsung knock offs.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 10:03:48 pm »
Why???

Because Trump's a big-government liberal who believes it's government's job to pick winners and losers.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 10:18:20 pm »
Because Trump's a big-government liberal who believes it's government's job to pick winners and losers.

Yeah.....because your pal Bush never put his finger on the scale for anyone.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 10:21:41 pm »

Did I say he didn't?

You see, I can criticize when someone does something wrong.  I don't have blind worship.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 04:35:34 am »
Why???

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-in-tweet-says-working-with-chinese-president-xi-to-keep-zte-in-business-1526225831

Here's a possible reason:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-zte-battle-u-s-suppliers-are-collateral-damage-1524562201?mod=article_inline

The relationship between chip manufacturers is somewhat incestuous.  Qualcomm, for example, is a direct
competitor to ZTE, yet ZTE is a major purchaser of Qualcomm chips.  It's possible Commerce did not expect the bleeding at ZTE to be severe enough to actually shut the business down.  There are European companies that are also adversely affected
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:36:22 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 05:47:30 am »
Ah, thank you, @Cyber Liberty!
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline DB

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 06:52:17 am »

Straw Man.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 11:08:16 am »
The President's tweet on this subject indicates "too many jobs in China lost".   :wtf:

President Xi of China, and I, are working together to give massive Chinese phone company, ZTE, a way to get back into business, fast. Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!

http://fortune.com/2018/05/14/china-iran-zte-donald-trump/
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
President Trump says he's working with China to save ZTE
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 05:26:29 pm »
President Donald Trump said in a tweet Sunday that he's working to give China's ZTE "a way to get back into business, fast."

ZTE, a smartphone and telecom equipment maker that does business around the world, announced last week that it has halted its main operations after the Trump administration banned American companies from selling it vital components.

Now, Trump says he's working with President Xi Jinping of China to get the company back on its feet.

"Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!" Trump wrote in a tweet Sunday. The US Commerce Department did not immediately respond to multiple requests for comment Sunday.

The White House later issued a statement indicating that President Trump "expects" Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross "to exercise his independent judgment, consistent with applicable laws and regulations, to resolve the regulatory action involving ZTE based on its facts."

The Chinese government welcomed Trump's comments.

"We very much appreciate the positive statement from the US side on ZTE and maintain close communication with them on the issue," Foreign Ministry spokesman Lu Kang said Monday.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/13/technology/business/trump-zte-corporation-china-commerce/index.html
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: President Trump says he's working with China to save ZTE
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 05:26:45 pm »
This move makes absolutely no sense at all.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 06:05:33 pm »
Not that it matters much. LG is controlled by the Koreans, Samsung by the Japanese. BlackBerry, even though they're based in Canada, makes their phones in China, and Apple, an American company, makes theirs in Taiwan.

Apparently only Asia is allowed to manufacture phones. Who knew?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 06:42:01 pm »
This move makes absolutely no sense at all.

Until it does.

Trump Indonesia Project Latest Stop On China's Belt And Road

The park -- expected to be backed with up to $500 million in Chinese government loans -- is part of an "integrated lifestyle resort", known as MNC Lido City.

The project includes Trump-branded hotels, residences and a golf course, as well as other hotel, shopping and residential developments.

Referring to its subsidiary, MCC described the theme park as "the first culture and tourism industry project by the Central Research Institute of Building and Construction in response to 'China's One Belt, One Road' initiative."

It is also the first project to link the US president's business interests to China's signature infrastructure initiative, which aims to connect the world's second-largest economy with Africa, Asia and Europe through a vast network of ports, railways, roads and industrial parks.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-indonesia-project-latest-stop-chinas-belt-road-142334483.html
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2018, 07:54:28 pm »

Until it does.

Trump Indonesia Project Latest Stop On China's Belt And Road

The park -- expected to be backed with up to $500 million in Chinese government loans -- is part of an "integrated lifestyle resort", known as MNC Lido City.

The project includes Trump-branded hotels, residences and a golf course, as well as other hotel, shopping and residential developments.

Referring to its subsidiary, MCC described the theme park as "the first culture and tourism industry project by the Central Research Institute of Building and Construction in response to 'China's One Belt, One Road' initiative."

It is also the first project to link the US president's business interests to China's signature infrastructure initiative, which aims to connect the world's second-largest economy with Africa, Asia and Europe through a vast network of ports, railways, roads and industrial parks.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-indonesia-project-latest-stop-chinas-belt-road-142334483.html

Of course...I should have known.