Author Topic: Tonight's primaries could prove the Trump takeover of the GOP is totally complete By Chris Cillizza  (Read 1981 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Tonight's primaries could prove the Trump takeover of the GOP is totally complete

By Chris Cillizza, CNN Editor-at-large

Updated 1:44 PM ET, Tue May 8, 2018

Washington (CNN)Today marks the first major primary day of the 2018 elections, with four states -- North Carolina, Indiana, West Virginia and Ohio -- voting. There are no two people who love elections more than me and CNN resident big brain Harry Enten.

So we spent this morning exchanging emails about Don Blankenship, the vagaries of public polling, why Harry thinks West Virginia is a fascinating state and why today might tell us just how much the GOP is Donald Trump's party now.

Our conversation -- raw and uncut! -- is below.

Cillizza: Happy Primary Day!

I love these days. Democracy in action! Voters voting!

There are four states -- West Virginia, North Carolina, Indiana and Ohio -- with primaries today.

My favorite part about that quartet is the latest that polls close in any of the four is 7:30 pm ET. (I need my beauty sleep to maintain my good looks, OK?)

I want to start in West Virginia. And with the only question anyone cares about: Can ex-con/racist/coal mine owner Don Blankenship actually win?

My answer: Yes. In fact I think he is a slight favorite over Rep. Evan Jenkins and state Attorney General Patrick Morrisey. Blankenship has outspent the other two on TV -- being a coal mine owner is a lucrative gig -- and is the most "outsider" of the three candidates.

more
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/08/politics/west-virginia-indiana-primary/index.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
CNN, hmmm. I'll just say, I trust almost always what Rush says, some of the others, not so sure about.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
CNN, hmmm. I'll just say, I trust almost always what Rush says, some of the others, not so sure about.

I like Rush too.  I don't hear him as much as I used to (work hours have changed), but when I did listen I'd say I agreed with him far more than just about anybody else.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline mountaineer

I want to start in West Virginia. And with the only question anyone cares about: Can ex-con/racist/coal mine owner Don Blankenship actually win?

My answer: Yes. In fact I think he is a slight favorite over Rep. Evan Jenkins and state Attorney General Patrick Morrisey. Blankenship has outspent the other two on TV -- being a coal mine owner is a lucrative gig -- and is the most "outsider" of the three candidates.
So far, it looks like Blankenship will come in third. Who is this Cillizza, and why does he think he knows anything about W.Va. voters?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Hoodat

Looks like Mike Braun will win the Indiana primary.  Pat Morrisey is leading in WV.  Blankenship is in 3rd place.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

Feel free to post primary results on the Primaries thread.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Or not.

@Cyber Liberty   With Blankenship's ugly history and his goofy looks, who would vote for him?

I guess we'll find out.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty   With Blankenship's ugly history and his goofy looks, who would vote for him?

I guess we'll find out.

That guy came in third at best...so even if it's a state that requires a run-off, he's out.  Don't know if WV has a "Sore Loser" law that would prevent his running as a write in.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

That guy came in third at best...so even if it's a state that requires a run-off, he's out.  Don't know if WV has a "Sore Loser" law that would prevent his running as a write in.

No run off. Morrisey won that pretty solid.

Offline RoosGirl

No run off. Morrisey won that pretty solid.

I really liked him in The Smiths.

! No longer available

Offline Frank Cannon

I really liked him in The Smiths.

! No longer available

Yeah, but when he went off on his own he got kooky and sucky.

Offline RoosGirl

Yeah, but when he went off on his own he got kooky and sucky.

Don't think it took him going off on his own for him to get kooky.

Offline Frank Cannon

Don't think it took him going off on his own for him to get kooky.

Was it getting into West Virginia politics?

Offline RoosGirl

Was it getting into West Virginia politics?

Happens every time.

Offline Frank Cannon

Happens every time.

I heard just driving through WV can effect people negatively.

Offline mountaineer

Just the opposite.

I'm amused that the "I hate flyover country" news media got it so wrong, they were just convinced that Blankenship had the ignorant hillbilly vote locked up.

Offline RoosGirl

I heard WV was almost heaven. They have the Blue Ridge mountains  and the Shenandoah River. Plus, life is old there. Older than the trees, but younger than the mountains.

Offline mountaineer

John Denver didn't know much about geography, but he got the "almost heaven" part right.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I heard WV was almost heaven. They have the Blue Ridge mountains  and the Shenandoah River. Plus, life is old there. Older than the trees, but younger than the mountains.

:cool:
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline RoosGirl

John Denver didn't know much about geography, but he got the "almost heaven" part right.

Yeah, the geography part should be no big surprise since he went from something like Deutchendorf to Denver.  :laugh:

Offline mountaineer

Yeah, the geography part should be no big surprise since he went from something like Deutchendorf to Denver.  :laugh:
Isn't Deutchendorf in Iowa?

Offline Hoodat

No Blue Ridge Mountains in West Virginia.  The Shenandoah River barely touches the state before dumping into the Potomac.  As someone who grew up at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains on the South River (South Fork of the Shenandoah), that song has always bugged me.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline skeeter

As far as his flying skills were concerned 'almost' only counted with horseshoes and hand grenades.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 01:42:55 pm by skeeter »

Offline mountaineer

No Blue Ridge Mountains in West Virginia.  The Shenandoah River barely touches the state before dumping into the Potomac.  As someone who grew up at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains on the South River (South Fork of the Shenandoah), that song has always bugged me.
It bugs me, too. Every time the spectators at a WVU football game sing it, I try to correct the bad geography of it!  :laugh: