Author Topic: NY Attorney General Eric Schneiderman resigns amid sexual harrassment allegations  (Read 4021 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/four-women-accuse-new-yorks-attorney-general-of-physical-abuse

Four women accuse New York's Attorney General of physical abuse
by Jane Meyer and Ronan Farrow

Eric Schneiderman, New York’s attorney general, has long been a liberal Democratic champion of women’s rights, and recently he has become an outspoken figure in the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment. As New York State’s highest-ranking law-enforcement officer, Schneiderman, who is sixty-three, has used his authority to take legal action against the disgraced film mogul Harvey Weinstein, and to demand greater compensation for the victims of Weinstein’s alleged sexual crimes. Last month, when the Times and this magazine were awarded a joint Pulitzer Prize for coverage of sexual harassment, Schneiderman issued a congratulatory tweet, praising “the brave women and men who spoke up about the sexual harassment they had endured at the hands of powerful men.” Without these women, he noted, “there would not be the critical national reckoning under way.”

Now Schneiderman is facing a reckoning of his own. As his prominence as a voice against sexual misconduct has risen, so, too, has the distress of four women with whom he has had romantic relationships or encounters. They accuse Schneiderman of having subjected them to nonconsensual physical violence. All have been reluctant to speak out, fearing reprisal. But two of the women, Michelle Manning Barish and Tanya Selvaratnam, have talked to The New Yorker on the record, because they feel that doing so could protect other women. They allege that he repeatedly hit them, often after drinking, frequently in bed and never with their consent. Manning Barish and Selvaratnam categorize the abuse he inflicted on them as “assault.” They did not report their allegations to the police at the time, but both say that they eventually sought medical attention after having been slapped hard across the ear and face, and also choked. Selvaratnam says that Schneiderman warned her he could have her followed and her phones tapped, and both say that he threatened to kill them if they broke up with him. (Schneiderman’s spokesperson said that he “never made any of these threats.”)

A third former romantic partner of Schneiderman’s told Manning Barish and Selvaratnam that he also repeatedly subjected her to nonconsensual physical violence, but she told them that she is too frightened of him to come forward. (The New Yorker has independently vetted the accounts that they gave of her allegations.) A fourth woman, an attorney who has held prominent positions in the New York legal community, says that Schneiderman made an advance toward her; when she rebuffed him, he slapped her across the face with such force that it left a mark that lingered the next day. She recalls screaming in surprise and pain, and beginning to cry, and says that she felt frightened. She has asked to remain unidentified, but shared a photograph of the injury with The New Yorker.

In a statement, Schneiderman said, “In the privacy of intimate relationships, I have engaged in role-playing and other consensual sexual activity. I have not assaulted anyone. I have never engaged in nonconsensual sex, which is a line I would not cross.”

(excerpt)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 10:40:03 am by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DB

Another liberal hoist with his own petard...

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Eric Schneiderman, New York’s attorney general, has long been a liberal Democratic champion of women’s rights, and recently he has become an outspoken figure in the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment. As New York State’s highest-ranking law-enforcement officer, Schneiderman, who is sixty-three, has used his authority to take legal action against the disgraced film mogul Harvey Weinstein, and to demand greater compensation for the victims of Weinstein’s alleged sexual crimes. Last month, when the Times and this magazine were awarded a joint Pulitzer Prize for coverage of sexual harassment, Schneiderman issued a congratulatory tweet, praising “the brave women and men who spoke up about the sexual harassment they had endured at the hands of powerful men.” Without these women, he noted, “there would not be the critical national reckoning under way.”

Now Schneiderman is facing a reckoning of his own. As his prominence as a voice against sexual misconduct has risen, so, too, has the distress of four women with whom he has had romantic relationships or encounters. They accuse Schneiderman of having subjected them to nonconsensual physical violence. All have been reluctant to speak out, fearing reprisal. But two of the women, Michelle Manning Barish and Tanya Selvaratnam, have talked to The New Yorker on the record, because they feel that doing so could protect other women. They allege that he repeatedly hit them, often after drinking, frequently in bed and never with their consent. Manning Barish and Selvaratnam categorize the abuse he inflicted on them as “assault.” They did not report their allegations to the police at the time, but both say that they eventually sought medical attention after having been slapped hard across the ear and face, and also choked. Selvaratnam says that Schneiderman warned her he could have her followed and her phones tapped, and both say that he threatened to kill them if they broke up with him. (Schneiderman’s spokesperson said that he “never made any of these threats.”)

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/four-women-accuse-new-yorks-attorney-general-of-physical-abuse
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline endicom

The problem here is that the women are as brain-funked as the men. If the story is as told.

Schneiderman can share a cell with Cuomo where they can recall old times.

Offline edpc

Offline corbe

Karma is a bitch, this is the guy that shut down Trumps Foundation after Trump donated to his campaign.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline endicom

Offline MOD3

Topics merged.

Online mountaineer

... When Schneiderman was violent, he often made sexual demands. “He was obsessed with having a threesome, and said it was my job to find a woman,” she says. “He said he’d have nothing to look forward to if I didn’t, and would hit me until I agreed.” (She had no intention of having a threesome.) She recalls, “Sometimes, he’d tell me to call him Master, and he’d slap me until I did.” Selvaratnam, who was born in Sri Lanka, has dark skin, and she recalls that “he started calling me his ‘brown slave’ and demanding that I repeat that I was ‘his property.’ ”

The abuse escalated. Schneiderman not only slapped her across the face, often four or five times, back and forth, with his open hand; he also spat at her and choked her. “He was cutting off my ability to breathe,” she says. Eventually, she says, “we could rarely have sex without him beating me.”   ...
What a pig.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline endicom

If you're gonna bite then bite, don't bluff.

Offline edpc

Offline corbe

I even put the full title in search.    :shrug:

I do love the layout and functionality of the database software here (SMF) but the search feature does seem lacking @edpc
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mountaineer

I do love the layout and functionality of the database software here (SMF) but the search feature does seem lacking
Yeah, it used to work better. Now it's not very helpful.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DB

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 12:53:26 am by DB »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline endicom

I do love the layout and functionality of the database software here (SMF) but the search feature does seem lacking @edpc

I've noticed that it fails the proprietress so it must not work very well.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It doesn't help that I put it in a less-viewed state forum. (This being New York, where 12 years ago the comptroller got re-elected handily AFTER being convicted of abusing his power, solely because he was a Democrat, I was unsure how much this was going to have an impact). Maybe I d've put it in the main Politics forum where it'd've been more easily seen; after all, given his well-publicized desire to get Donald Trump, it does have national implications.

Offline endicom

...after all, given his well-publicized desire to get Donald Trump, it does have national implications.

Yup. I wonder if the women involved considered their timing in coming forward.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Yup. I wonder if the women involved considered their timing in coming forward.
What strikes me is that these are very recent allegations. 2013 to 2017, all while he's "white knighting" and pandering to the #MeToo crowd. This isn't Leigh Corfman coming out of nowhere to say Roy Moore groped me 40 years ago, right when his party needs to hold onto a seat. He divorced his wife a few years back.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Update: Schneiderman has resigned, per Twitter

Offline edpc

In a statement, Schneiderman said, “In the privacy of intimate relationships, I have engaged in role-playing and other consensual sexual activity. I have not assaulted anyone. I have never engaged in nonconsensual sex, which is a line I would not cross.”

! No longer available
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 01:56:43 am by edpc »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Trump is doing the rope-a-dope strategy. I believe that most of the the TDS NeverTrumpers have become somewhat deranged in their hatred for Donald Trump. The have become so irrational and fanatical in hate that they frequently hurt themselves more than they do Trump.

Trump's most strident enemies are falling one by one. Eventually they will all be gone or in jail.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline endicom

What strikes me is that these are very recent allegations. 2013 to 2017, all while he's "white knighting" and pandering to the #MeToo crowd. This isn't Leigh Corfman coming out of nowhere to say Roy Moore groped me 40 years ago, right when his party needs to hold onto a seat. He divorced his wife a few years back.

Maybe striking but not really surprising. The people most "religious" about things are often the opposite of what they preach. And the Left has more preachers than the stretch from Savannah to Taos.

Offline edpc

Trump on Eric Schneiderman in 2013 tweet: ‘Wait and see, worse than Spitzer or Weiner’

By Victor Morton

Did President Trump know something?

Almost five years ago, Mr. Trump tweeted that Eric Schneiderman, then the new New York attorney general, was “worse than” two well-known Democratic sex criminals.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/7/donald-trump-eric-schneiderman-2013-tweet-wait-and/

Online Right_in_Virginia