Author Topic: REPORT: John Kerry Working Behind the Scenes to Save the Iran Deal  (Read 3011 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

REPORT: John Kerry Working Behind the Scenes to Save the Iran Deal
National Review, May 4, 2018, Jack Crowe

John Kerry is quietly working to preserve his signature foreign policy achievement, the Iran nuclear deal, through a series of meetings with contacts he developed as secretary of state, the Boston Globe reports.

Kerry reportedly met for the second time with Iranian foreign minister Javad Zarif at the United Nations building in New York two weeks ago to review diplomatic strategies designed to derail President Trump’s plan to exit the Obama-era non-proliferation agreement, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.

The deal — signed by six countries in 2015 after months of negotiation led by Kerry — committed Iran to halt the development of their nuclear weapons program for a decade in exchange for a reduction in economic sanctions.

Intent on preserving the deal he negotiated, Kerry has reportedly met with a number of other world leaders, including German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier and French President Emmanuel Macron, both of whom continue to vocally support the deal.

More: https://www.nationalreview.com/news/john-kerry-working-to-save-iran-nuclear-deal/

Online Right_in_Virginia

Referenced in the article above ....

Kerry quietly seeking to salvage Iran deal he helped craft
Boston Globe, May 4, 2018, Matt Viser

WASHINGTON — John Kerry’s bid to save one of his most significant accomplishments as secretary of state took him to New York on a Sunday afternoon two weeks ago, where, more than a year after he left office, he engaged in some unusual shadow diplomacy with a top-ranking Iranian official.

He sat down at the United Nations with Foreign Minister Javad Zarif to discuss ways of preserving the pact limiting Iran’s nuclear weapons program. It was the second time in about two months that the two had met to strategize over salvaging a deal they spent years negotiating during the Obama administration, according to a person briefed on the meetings.

With the Iran deal facing its gravest threat since it was signed in 2015, Kerry has been on an aggressive yet stealthy mission to preserve it, using his deep lists of contacts gleaned during his time as the top US diplomat to try to apply pressure on the Trump administration from the outside. President Trump, who has consistently criticized the pact and campaigned in 2016 on scuttling it, faces a May 12 deadline to decide whether to continue abiding by its terms.

Kerry also met last month with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier, and he’s been on the phone with top European Union official Federica Mogherini, according to the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to reveal the private meetings. Kerry has also met with French President Emmanuel Macron in both Paris and New York, conversing over the details of sanctions and regional nuclear threats in both French and English.

More:  https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2018/05/04/kerry-quietly-seeking-salvage-iran-deal-helped-craft/2fTkGON7xvaNbO0YbHECUL/story.html

Offline endicom

He is at least consistently traitorous.

Offline GrouchoTex

I had read somewhere today, that there is a fear that if we withdraw from this so-called nuclear agreement, there will be war.
I think it was Marcon of France that said this.

I am of the mind set that if we do not stop this deal, it will insure war somewhere down the line.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Can we Swiftboot him again?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Kerry quietly seeking to salvage Iran deal he helped craft
Matt Viser - Deputy Bureau Chief

WASHINGTON — John Kerry’s bid to save one of his most significant accomplishments as secretary of state took him to New York on a Sunday afternoon two weeks ago, where, more than a year after he left office, he engaged in some unusual shadow diplomacy with a top-ranking Iranian official.

He sat down at the United Nations with Foreign Minister Javad Zarif to discuss ways of preserving the pact limiting Iran’s nuclear weapons program. It was the second time in about two months that the two had met to strategize over salvaging a deal they spent years negotiating during the Obama administration, according to a person briefed on the meetings.

With the Iran deal facing its gravest threat since it was signed in 2015, Kerry has been on an aggressive yet stealthy mission to preserve it, using his deep lists of contacts gleaned during his time as the top US diplomat to try to apply pressure on the Trump administration from the outside. President Trump, who has consistently criticized the pact and campaigned in 2016 on scuttling it, faces a May 12 deadline to decide whether to continue abiding by its terms.

Read more at: https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2018/05/04/kerry-quietly-seeking-salvage-iran-deal-helped-craft/2fTkGON7xvaNbO0YbHECUL/story.html

Drudge put this up as the main story....

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
No this time a Boot To The Head
Yi yi yai yi....
People talking in movie shows
People smoking in bed!
People voting RepublicanDemocrat
Give them a boot to the head!

Boot to the Head! Nah, nah...
Boot to the Head! Nah nah nah... Nah. Nah nah nah...

Mechanics who can't fix a car
Politicians who can't think!
The salesman who won't leave me alone
The waiter who forgot my drink!

(Refrain)
Boot to the head! Nah, nah..
BOOT TO THE HEAD!!

Offline Hoodat

John F'n Kerry should be convicted of high treason and promptly hung from the neck until dead.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Just like old times, when he betrayed us to the NV in Paris back in he 70's.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

REPORT: John Kerry Working Behind the Scenes to Save the Iran Deal
National Review, May 4, 2018, Jack Crowe

John Kerry is quietly working to preserve his signature foreign policy achievement, the Iran nuclear deal, through a series of meetings with contacts he developed as secretary of state, the Boston Globe reports.

Kerry reportedly met for the second time with Iranian foreign minister Javad Zarif at the United Nations building in New York two weeks ago to review diplomatic strategies designed to derail President Trump’s plan to exit the Obama-era non-proliferation agreement, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.

The deal — signed by six countries in 2015 after months of negotiation led by Kerry — committed Iran to halt the development of their nuclear weapons program for a decade in exchange for a reduction in economic sanctions.

Intent on preserving the deal he negotiated, Kerry has reportedly met with a number of other world leaders, including German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier and French President Emmanuel Macron, both of whom continue to vocally support the deal.

More: https://www.nationalreview.com/news/john-kerry-working-to-save-iran-nuclear-deal/
Don't we have a law in this country on subversive behavior that can be used to prosecute this type of thing?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online mountaineer

Stephen Miller  Verified account @redsteeze

John Kerry siding with and strategizing with the world’s largest sponsor of terror groups to undermine his own country’s foreign policy is the most John Kerry thing ever

Dan Bongino Verified account @dbongino
Dan Bongino Retweeted Stephen Miller

Please liberals, with a straight face, read this tweet and tell me again how General Mike Flynn was investigated for a Logan Act violation and yet John Kerry isn’t worthy of the same? What a farce @SallyQYates

Bruce Crawford  @BruceC76
12h12 hours ago
Replying to @dbongino @SallyQYates

Kerry violated Logan Act 45 yrs. ago when he met w/ Mme. Binh while still holding commission as Navy officer in reserves.

Kerry violated the Logan Act in '71 when he was in Paris negotiating with the North Vietnamese.

Johnny  @Johndillinger99
11hReplying to @dbongino @SallyQYates

The Logan Act (1 Stat. 613, 18 U.S.C. § 953, enacted January 30, 1799) is a United States federal law that criminalizes negotiation by unauthorized persons with foreign governments having a dispute with the United States.

Bryan McNally   @BryanDMcNally
12h12 hours ago
Replying to @dbongino @SallyQYates

@dbongino is he illegally traveling on his diplomatic passport or did he file appropriate paperwork to travel to Iran due to his security clearance? Is he with @SecretService protecting him and acting on behalf of the US?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:34:38 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Right_in_Virginia

Don't we have a law in this country on subversive behavior that can be used to prosecute this type of thing?

This is my question, too.  If memory serves, it's called the Logan Act.  I'm kindda surprised Mueller's not looking to charge the President for violation of it.   :smokin:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:34:29 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Kerry is banking on Trump being gone in 2 years or less.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I do believe this is the exact kind of thing they went after General Flynn on.  But he's different isn't he!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Some of you may be confusing the Logan Act with FARA regarding Flynn.  The charges dropped by Mueller in exchange for the guilty plea were related to FARA and money laundering.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
By whose authority is Kerry negotiating with a foreign terrorist state?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Right_in_Virginia

By whose authority is Kerry negotiating with a foreign terrorist state?

His own.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

If this can be proven to have occurred, then Kerry is indeed seditious and possibly traitorous.  For an American in no role of authority to tell a foreign power not to agree with a duly-elected American authority is as close to treason as can be made, especially since the foreign power is one declared as a terrorist state.

John Kerry reportedly coaches Palestinians not to 'yield' to Trump in peace talks, spurring backlash
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/25/john-kerry-reportedly-coaches-palestinians-not-to-yield-to-trump-in-peace-talks-spurring-backlash.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
He is at least consistently traitorous.

Since when is a citizen allowed to circumvent or derail the President of the United States agenda?  He has absolutely no authority, yet he's making deals and persuading leaders to go against the policies of this administration?

Can he not be arrested and tried for treason?

Why do the liberals continue to get away with their b.s.?  Why are they never held accountable?  What better message to the libs then if Kerry was denied entry back into the U.S.!

There comes a time when enough is enough!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline DB

We don't actually know if Trump authorized this or not.

Would it really surprise anyone if he did?

Iran already has the bomb. Iran and NK have been partners in its development for some time sharing both technology and materials. The horse has already left the barn... Iran now is looking for its chance for a surprise demonstration of it all with the political cover of being provoked into it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I had read somewhere today, that there is a fear that if we withdraw from this so-called nuclear agreement, there will be war.
I think it was Marcon of France that said this.

@GrouchoTex

Huh? I thought we were at war now,and had been for a couple of decades?

If we were not at war,where were all the Soldiers and Marines going?

Not to mention high dollar "gifts" of equipment,and pallets of 100 dollar bills?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@IsailedawayfromFR

Depends on who you are. If you are a political creature and have a Big Red Fascist "D" behind your name,you are golden.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
We don't actually know if Trump authorized this or not.

Would it really surprise anyone if he did?

Iran already has the bomb. Iran and NK have been partners in its development for some time sharing both technology and materials. The horse has already left the barn... Iran now is looking for its chance for a surprise demonstration of it all with the political cover of being provoked into it.

@DB
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA

So desperate
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline endicom

Since when is a citizen allowed to circumvent or derail the President of the United States agenda?  He has absolutely no authority, yet he's making deals and persuading leaders to go against the policies of this administration?

Why do the liberals continue to get away with their b.s.?  Why are they never held accountable?  What better message to the libs then if Kerry was denied entry back into the U.S.!

Good statements questions. I couldn't answer them.

We're at a time when enough has long been enough.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

Not to mention why are the supposed allies working behind our back to undermine our govt.  Sounds like collusion and a host of other things.  Time for someone to pay the price.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.