Author Topic: North Korea nuclear test site to close in May, South Korea says  (Read 746 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
North Korea nuclear test site to close in May, South Korea says

North Korea's nuclear test site will close in May, the South Korean president's office has said.

A spokesman said the closure of the Punggye-ri site would be done in public and foreign experts from South Korea and the US would be invited to watch.

On Friday, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and South Korea's President Moon Jae-in agreed to work to rid the Korean peninsula of nuclear weapons.

Read more at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-43939375

Offline dfwgator

Re: North Korea nuclear test site to close in May, South Korea says
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 03:37:43 am »
Trust, but verify.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 12:07:54 pm »
I'd say it closed the day it collapsed...  :whistle:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 01:24:48 pm »
"If we maintain frequent meetings and build trust with the United States and receive promises for an end to the war and a non-aggression treaty, then why would we need to live in difficulty by keeping our nuclear weapons?" Yoon quoted Kim as saying.

"Questions remain about whether Kim will agree to discuss other nuclear technology, fissile material and missiles. However, they imply a phased process with reciprocal concessions," Mount said in an email. "It is not clear that the Trump administration will accept that kind of protracted program."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/n-korea-close-nuke-test-may-unify-time-023215198.html?.tsrc=bell-brknews

This whole thing seems like a big head fake.  Kim has said he'd stop testing nukes and missiles, plus close down the test site.  Of course.  Why keep testing, when you have a workable design?  Besides, under the Iran agreement, they can conduct your missile tests for you.

Kim has been less committal about getting rid of the weapons, without conditions.  I have a feeling all this preliminary posturing and promising is a set up for unrealistic demands if/when real talks begin.  They want to say they extended a hand in peace, then mean ol' Trump slapped it away.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 01:26:31 pm »

John Podhoretz Verified account @jpodhoretz
11h11 hours ago
Except what we're hearing is that the test site literally collapsed. So it's already closed.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 01:48:11 pm »
I'd say it closed the day it collapsed...  :whistle:

That would be my answer if it came up on a pop quiz. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."