Author Topic: Kim Jong Un Makes Historic Walk Across North Korean Border to Meet with South Korean President Moon  (Read 1747 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Kim Jong Un Makes Historic Walk Across North Korean Border to Meet with South Korean President Moon Jae-in
Foster Klug / AP

(GOYANG, South Korea) — North Korean leader Kim Jong Un set off Friday from his stronghold in the capital of Pyongyang for the border with South Korea, which he’ll walk across for historic face-to-face talks with his rival, South Korean President Moon Jae-in. Their discussions will focus overwhelmingly on whether the North can be persuaded to give up its nuclear bombs.

The leaders, who seemed on the verge of war months ago, will take a pleasant walk, plant a commemorative tree, inspect an honor guard and belly-up to a lavish banquet.

What’s less clear is whether they can make any progress in closed-door talks on the nuclear issue, which has bedeviled U.S. and South Korean officials for decades. North Korea last year unleashed a torrent of weapons tests that many experts believe put it on the threshold of becoming a legitimate nuclear power. North Korea claims it already is.

Read more at: http://time.com/5256893/kim-jong-un-walk-across-north-korean-border/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The little fat man walked across the border - amazing!

Offline RoosGirl

The little fat man walked across the border - amazing!

Yeah, but apparently it's so he can go eat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yeah, but apparently it's so he can go eat.

Hey, whatever it takes.

Offline Frank Cannon

I think it is absolutely stunning that one of the biggest geopolitical events to happen in years and that was facilitated by a new US policy on that country gets barely any posts yet a worthless story about a shitty beer cooler gets 3 pages.

This is a big effing deal. A potential nuclear threat not only has been neutralized for the time being, but there is a possibility that relations could be normalized for the first time since the early 50's.

Offline SirLinksALot

I just can't bear the thought of this brutal, murdering SOB getting the Nobel Peace Prize ( like the other terrorist, Yaser Arafat ), but I have to resign myself to the fact that it WILL happen.

Offline Frank Cannon

I just can't bear the thought of this brutal, murdering SOB getting the Nobel Peace Prize ( like the other terrorist, Yaser Arafat ), but I have to resign myself to the fact that it WILL happen.

Would you rather have bombs dropping on Japan and Alaska? Who cares about this stupid award. Trump has the potential to take a major world threat off the table without any bullets being fired. That is huge.

Offline skeeter

I think it is absolutely stunning that one of the biggest geopolitical events to happen in years and that was facilitated by a new US policy on that country gets barely any posts yet a worthless story about a shitty beer cooler gets 3 pages.

This is a big effing deal. A potential nuclear threat not only has been neutralized for the time being, but there is a possibility that relations could be normalized for the first time since the early 50's.

I would expect the 'I'll credit him when he does something right' folks to weigh in anytime.

Offline thackney

I think claiming the threat has been neutralized is greatly overstating the events so far.  I am pleased to see the progress and suspect a lot has happened behind the scenes to get this far.  But I don't trust "Rocket Man" at all. 

It may be NK have achieved their goals in making a nuke warhead small enough for a ballistic missile they can produce.  They may have only agreed to stop testing for that reason, and the fact their testing facility has collapsed.

I will be more impressed when international inspectors cross the border headed in, than this guy crossing out.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

I would expect the 'I'll credit him when he does something right' folks to weigh in anytime.

Don't hold your breath. Donny only bought Melania flowers for her birthday so bitching about that outrage takes precedent over this.

Offline aligncare

Yes, but....Trump.

U Can’t Touch This

I told you homeboy u can't touch this
Yeah that's how we're livin' and you know u can't touch this
Look in my eyes man u can't touch this
You know let me bust the funky lyrics u can't touch this

That's word because you know
You can't touch this (oh-oh oh oh-oh-oh)
You can't touch this (oh-oh oh oh-oh-oh)
Break it down
(Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh oh-oh)
(Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh oh-oh)
Stop Hammer time

^-^

Offline endicom

"Kim Jong Un Makes Historic Walk Across North Korean Border to Meet with South Korean President Moon Jae-in"

The waddle that shook the world.

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves here but this is symbolically significant and symbolism is everything to the Kims.

Offline Frank Cannon

I think claiming the threat has been neutralized is greatly overstating the events so far.  I am pleased to see the progress and suspect a lot has happened behind the scenes to get this far.  But I don't trust "Rocket Man" at all. 

It may be NK have achieved their goals in making a nuke warhead small enough for a ballistic missile they can produce.  They may have only agreed to stop testing for that reason, and the fact their testing facility has collapsed.

I will be more impressed when international inspectors cross the border headed in, than this guy crossing out.

I'm not overstating anything. Last year at this time people were bracing for bombs dropping on countries. Today we have two countries meeting face to face for the first time in over a half a century. It may not be the fall of the Berlin Wall, but it is a major step forward that NO ONE saw coming. Trump set up something historic here through a foreign policy most detractors laughed at.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

Aye.

Offline RoosGirl

Pardon me for being suspicious.

Offline Frank Cannon

Pardon me for being suspicious.

You can be suspicious, but you do not see the major importance of a N Korean leader making diplomatic moves instead of aggressive military moves as a 180 from the last 20 years of the US having to deal with them?

I almost feel that people here would rather have another effing hot war then have this thing handled through hand shakes and kim chi dinners.

Offline SirLinksALot

Would you rather have bombs dropping on Japan and Alaska? Who cares about this stupid award. Trump has the potential to take a major world threat off the table without any bullets being fired. That is huge.

Offline Frank Cannon

Yeah. And? Are we not verifying any of this?

BTW speaking of Reagan, the attitude taken by some here about how worthless this event is mirrors a lot of the anti Reagan chatter about Reykjavík. It was nothing but a photo op that would lead to nothing.

Offline skeeter

"Kim Jong Un Makes Historic Walk Across North Korean Border to Meet with South Korean President Moon Jae-in"

The waddle that shook the world.

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves here but this is symbolically significant and symbolism is everything to the Kims.

It was unprecedented. Although no doubt kim believes he can finesse this whole deal his way there’s always a chance the process will take on a life of its own as it did in The Soviet Union in the early 90s

Offline SirLinksALot

Yeah. And? Are we not verifying any of this?

I don't know. The Trump-Kim summit has not happened yet, so we don't know HOW the verification/de-nuclearization will be accomplished.

Will Kim pull a Saddam? Can we trust the Norks based on their past record?

And here's the other question -- Will they demand that the USA pull out of the Korean area as a precondition for his  (so-called) de-nuclearization?

Will they demand that we also take down the missiles we have aimed at his country?

Yes, it's good to talk, but it's the CONTENT and what happens afterwards that's important.

And we have to remember.... this is the man who killed his uncle and his own brother we're talking to.

Offline thackney

I'm not overstating anything. Last year at this time people were bracing for bombs dropping on countries. Today we have two countries meeting face to face for the first time in over a half a century. It may not be the fall of the Berlin Wall, but it is a major step forward that NO ONE saw coming. Trump set up something historic here through a foreign policy most detractors laughed at.

We will have to disagree.  I see a nuclear threat still exists and is not neutralized.  But remarkable progress is being made in comparison to the past decades.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

I don't know. The Trump-Kim summit has not happened yet, so we don't know HOW the verification/de-nuclearization will be accomplished.

Will Kim pull a Saddam? Can we trust the Norks based on their past record?

And here's the other question -- Will they demand that the USA pull out of the Korean area as a precondition for his  (so-called) de-nuclearization?

Will they demand that we also take down the missiles we have aimed at his country?

Yes, it's good to talk, but it's the CONTENT and what happens afterwards that's important.

And we have to remember.... this is the man who killed his uncle and his own brother we're talking to.

Yeah. We should discourage this stuff with Pompeo, Trump and Moon opening relations with these people and go back to solid diplomatic moves from the past like we had in Afghanistan, Iraq and now in Syria where we have endless wars that accomplish nothing.

BTW the Soviets were 10X the dirtbags that the Rocketman could ever hope to be. I guess you also had a problem with those talks opening up?

Offline RoosGirl

You can be suspicious, but you do not see the major importance of a N Korean leader making diplomatic moves instead of aggressive military moves as a 180 from the last 20 years of the US having to deal with them?

I almost feel that people here would rather have another effing hot war then have this thing handled through hand shakes and kim chi dinners.

I never said I didn't see the importance, but I am not prepared to celebrate just yet.  And for the record, I don't give a crap about Yeti.  There's no shortage of companies that make stupid business decisions.

Offline SirLinksALot

I'm all for talking, but I am NOT FOR letting our guard down.

Look, if someone's record is one of lying and deception, it would be foolish and naive to drop what ever advantage you have just because you want "peace" ( note the quotes ). That "peace" could be illusory.

Here's my bottom line :

WE DO NOT BRING DOWN ANY DEFENSIVE OR OFFENSIVE WEAPONS IN THE KOREAN PENINSULA, BUT WE CAN HAVE CONCESSIONS, SUCH AS DROPPING OUR SANCTIONS, OPENING UP TRADE (NO, NOT WEAPONS) AND FOOD EXPORTS TO THE NORTH.

ALL THESE IN EXCHANGE FOR THEM ALLOWING REAL, VERIFIABLE INSPECTIONS TO PROCEED ( NOT THE HALF-COCKED ONES SADDAM PROMISED AND NEVER KEPT ).

Offline Frank Cannon

I never said I didn't see the importance, but I am not prepared to celebrate just yet.  And for the record, I don't give a crap about Yeti.  There's no shortage of companies that make stupid business decisions.

How dare you. Yeti is the most important social issue of our time. Don't you see the massive ramifications of not getting a discount on an overpriced ugly beer cooler? If this is left to stand there is no doubt in my mind that we will be legalizing euthanasia by October.