Author Topic: What’s Problematic About Trump’s Unilateral Action Against Syria?  (Read 516 times)

rangerrebew

What’s Problematic About Trump’s Unilateral Action Against Syria?

The news that President Donald Trump authorized the U.S. military to strike a Syrian chemical manufacturing facility is hardly surprising. Even without the potential incentive to distract the news media from Robert Mueller’s investigation and the next phase of James Comey’s “Buy My Book!” tour, almost any president would want to strike at Bashar al-Assad after his repeated uses of chemical weapons on his own people—especially his country’s children.

And yet, there is something deeply troubling, or something that should be troubling, about the president’s willingness to start a war on his own authority. Make no mistake, launching missiles at a dictator who is backed by Russia is the equivalent of starting a war, and it quite obviously raises the stakes of our ongoing confrontation with Russia.

Source URL: https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/caleb-verbois/whats-problematic-about-trumps-unilateral-action-against-syria

Online DB

I've yet to hear a plausible explanation of why Assad would use chemical weapons at this point in time against civilians. He didn't take out an armed enemy in doing so which would have provided at least some military justification. Assad knows it's a red line with the West that will come with substantial consequences.

A better explanation might be the West trying to contain Russia in the Middle East with whatever pretense that will sell at home to justify it.

All I really know is we're being lied to regarding what is going on there.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Not unilateral
Not unilateral
Not unilateral

Neither the UK or France have leaders that are particularly fond of Trump, either

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Why did the Syrian regime gas the 42 other times?

Why have they dropped something like barrel bombs since this conflict began? Just random terror on the populace.

Why were they not able to let in OPCW inspectors right away?

Yeah, blame the side that did the right thing, to heck with Assad, cooperated with forces that killed American soldiers and other members of the coalition when we were in Iraq. Designated terrorist state since 1979, funnels weapons to Hezbollah and Hamas who in turn attack Israel. And how many times has Israel hit Syria in the past few years? I heard it's over 100.

Refugees overwhelmingly, are fleeing Assad, not even ISIS, Assad's the biggest killer over there.

Whether we should get involved?, that's a hard question, whether Assad is a horror,  I know what I think.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 01:27:33 am by TomSea »

Online DB

Why did the Syrian regime gas the 42 other times?

Why have they dropped something like barrel bombs since this conflict began? Just random terror on the populace.

Why were they not able to let in OPCW inspectors right away?

Yeah, blame the side that did the right thing, to heck with Assad, cooperated with forces that killed American soldiers and other members of the coalition when we were in Iraq. Designated terrorist state since 1979, funnels weapons to Hezbollah and Hamas who in turn attack Israel. And how many times has Israel hit Syria in the past few years? I heard it's over 100.

Refugees overwhelmingly, are fleeing Assad, not even ISIS, Assad's the biggest killer over there.

Whether we should get involved?, that's a hard question, whether Assad is a horror,  I know what I think.

Who's defending Assad?

Still doesn't make sense.