Author Topic: Michael Cohen's mystery third client is Sean Hannity  (Read 7017 times)

Offline DB

Re: Michael Cohen's mystery third client is Sean Hannity
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2018, 11:51:46 pm »
@DB
Generally lawyers give you a free meeting.  You don't sign anything unless you hire them.  That meeting is considered privlidged.

I don't spend hannity money on lawyers either.

Do lawyers generally consider the person they give the free meeting to and nothing more a client? I doubt it.

My understanding is the "free meeting" is to determine if the lawyer wants to represent you and if you want the lawyer to represent you. When you both agree you become a client - with billing to follow. It is similar to the "free estimate" before you agree to purchase something.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2018, 12:00:34 am »
All of this back and forth doesn't matter. No matter what you think of Hannity, he is a private citizen not under investigation himself.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2018, 12:24:35 am »
Apparently the Left, meaning 'the system', is claiming that Cohen is not a real attorney with attorney/client confidentiality because he only has one client, President Trump. Why this make any difference, how they came to this conclusion has not been explained.

So then Cohen said, 'I have more than one client.' The court ordered him to release his client list and he blurted out 'Hannity'. That is how all of this came about.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DB

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2018, 12:45:34 am »
Apparently the Left, meaning 'the system', is claiming that Cohen is not a real attorney with attorney/client confidentiality because he only has one client, President Trump. Why this make any difference, how they came to this conclusion has not been explained.

So then Cohen said, 'I have more than one client.' The court ordered him to release his client list and he blurted out 'Hannity'. That is how all of this came about.

Cohen isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer...

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2018, 12:49:50 am »
Do lawyers generally consider the person they give the free meeting to and nothing more a client? I doubt it.

My understanding is the "free meeting" is to determine if the lawyer wants to represent you and if you want the lawyer to represent you. When you both agree you become a client - with billing to follow. It is similar to the "free estimate" before you agree to purchase something.

@DB

And to make that decision you have to tell them what's going on.  Now I realize I don't spend Hannity money on lawyers.  My main one is about 375 an hour but I had a 1000 an hour one tell me it was priviledged.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline DB

« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2018, 12:58:20 am »
@DB

And to make that decision you have to tell them what's going on.  Now I realize I don't spend Hannity money on lawyers.  My main one is about 375 an hour but I had a 1000 an hour one tell me it was priviledged.

Based on that has been said, I doubt Hannity was a client in any form. Just something Cohen said to indicate he wasn't a one client lawyer (as mentioned above by 240B). For a lawyer he seems pretty loose with the facts and that could get him in a lot of trouble when looked at under a microscope.

Online corbe

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2018, 01:16:17 am »
   I'm kinda surprised El Rushbo's name didn't come up since he's been married something like 37 times, Family Values, hell yaaaa!.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2018, 01:19:08 am »
In Iowa, any convo you have with a lawyer on a legal matter will be considered privileged, paid or not. Reveal it and you will be disciplined if not disbarred. The mere act of conveying legal info back and forth automatically falls under the attorney-client relationship.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2018, 01:51:01 am »
Based on that has been said, I doubt Hannity was a client in any form. Just something Cohen said to indicate he wasn't a one client lawyer (as mentioned above by 240B). For a lawyer he seems pretty loose with the facts and that could get him in a lot of trouble when looked at under a microscope.

Well, the statement Cohen made was in court.  Apparently, he either thinks Hannity is a client or he's being exceedingly cautious.  We know Cohen has been Trump's attorney for a decade.  In all that time, he's had three clients - Trump, Broidy, and Hannity.  We know he's written two NDAs.  We know FOX has been rife with sexual harassment allegations.  Given the slavish devotion to Trump, it's not exactly a huge leap to suppose Hannity managed to silence someone secretly with Cohen's help.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2018, 02:03:47 am »
   I'm kinda surprised El Rushbo's name didn't come up since he's been married something like 37 times, Family Values, hell yaaaa!.

He can afford better lawyers.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2018, 02:27:03 am »
Dershowitz confronts Hannity: 'You should have disclosed your relationship with Cohen'
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/383460-dershowitz-confronts-hannity-you-should-have-told-viewers-about-your
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2018, 02:48:52 am »
Dershowitz confronts Hannity: 'You should have disclosed your relationship with Cohen'
http://thehill.com/homenews/media/383460-dershowitz-confronts-hannity-you-should-have-told-viewers-about-your

“I have occasionally had brief discussions with him about legal questions about which I wanted his input and perspective,” Hannity tweeted, adding that those conversations “dealt almost exclusively about real estate."

Hahahaha.......real estate.  If that's all it was, you wouldn't care if people knew about the relationship.  BTW - 'almost exclusively' means other things were discussed.  If they were just talking and nothing formal was ever done, and no records exist, there's no reason to claim privilege.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:14:52 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2018, 02:54:18 am »

Can't argue with Dersh on this. I don't care if someone has a dirtbag Attorney on their payroll, but if you are an MSM mouthpiece, you better make mention of it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2018, 03:05:56 am »
In Iowa, any convo you have with a lawyer on a legal matter will be considered privileged, paid or not. Reveal it and you will be disciplined if not disbarred. The mere act of conveying legal info back and forth automatically falls under the attorney-client relationship.

That's my understanding too.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2018, 03:49:59 am »
Can't argue with Dersh on this. I don't care if someone has a dirtbag Attorney on their payroll, but if you are an MSM mouthpiece, you better make mention of it.

Yep.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2018, 04:38:59 am »

Which means there’s no privilege.

Exactly.  But there used to be such a thing as "Honor." Guess we lost that, too.

I know Hannity is a real cheerleader for our President, so I am wondering if Hannity told Cohen it was okay to mention his name in open court.

Kind of reminds me of the movie star "thing" in California.  In the days before cell phones, the starlets would have someone call them so everyone knew they were in a restaurant.

So many tricks out there.  I do not know if this was a trick.

*****rollingeyes*****
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2018, 04:47:54 am »
In the days before cell phones....

When the Rochester was that? Back in the 1500's?

Are you really old or are you Amish?

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2018, 04:49:45 am »
@Sanguine

The judge said a list of clients is not priviledged information.
I wonder if another judge would disagree with that statement.

We all know judges are not infallible.  I think this judge put her foot over that little line in the sand. 

I would like to see what other judges have to say about this opinion of hers.

Just too weird for me.

:whistle:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2018, 04:51:56 am »
Simple. The relationship exists, with or without a written contract. And with or without the exchange of consideration.

At least in California, a contract for services can be verbal. And there are many implied aspects of contracts.

Likewise a professional owes his client certain standards of performance, ethics, honest dealing, fiduciary responsibility, if a deal and money result, or if they get no result.

Each profession has its own professional standards, plus the state has even more.

Remember how CPAs used to "self-regulate," until Arthur Andersen and Enron?

Yep.  A handshake was enough.

:beer:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2018, 04:59:02 am »

And yet another twist to this already twisted event.  Perhaps Cohen is an attention monger.

This is becoming a "Murder on the Orient Express" scenario.

I guess the old adage "follow the money" would be apropos here.

:cool:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2018, 05:00:42 am »

Why not?  Good one!

888high58888

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2018, 05:03:25 am »

Well, the statement Cohen made was in court.  Apparently, he either thinks Hannity is a client or he's being exceedingly cautious.  We know Cohen has been Trump's attorney for a decade.  In all that time, he's had three clients - Trump, Broidy, and Hannity.  We know he's written two NDAs.  We know FOX has been rife with sexual harassment allegations.  Given the slavish devotion to Trump, it's not exactly a huge leap to suppose Hannity managed to silence someone secretly with Cohen's help.

Oh, nooooo!  Not another one of those. Please say it ain't so! 

8888crybaby

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #97 on: April 17, 2018, 05:05:12 am »
When the Rochester was that? Back in the 1500's?

Are you really old or are you Amish?

I am your great great grandmother.  Now sit down and try to behave yourself.

:silly:

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #98 on: April 17, 2018, 07:10:32 am »
I suspect what is going on is that the judge has serious doubts about Cohen's credibility. Contrary to popular belief lawyers are not allowed to lie to a judge...it's termed "Fraud upon the Court" and a judge is bound to ask probative questions to ascertain if the lawyer is being truthful in his/her statements before the Court.....

There was probably a discussion of the issue in chambers before the hearing and Cohen said something to raise the judge's suspicion that he was not being forthright...... :shrug:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2018, 09:24:13 am »

Alan hits on the crux of the matter and why this is a big deal to everyone.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!