Author Topic: Exclusive: Break-up of California moves a step closer as billionaire gets enough signatures to trigg  (Read 973 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Exclusive: Break-up of California moves a step closer as billionaire gets enough signatures to trigger vote

By   Ben Riley-Smith, US Editor

12 April 2018 • 6:00am

The chance of California splitting into three has moved a step closer after a billionaire secured enough signatures to trigger a referendum on the issue.

Tim Draper, who made his money through Hotmail and Skype, has gathered 600,000 signatures supporting the change – way above the 364,000 needed.

Those who want to break up California believe it would boost educational standards and reduce the political power of Sacramento, the state’s capital.

Read more at: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/12/exclusive-splitting-california-three-step-closer-billionaire/

Offline thackney

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/04/12/california-3-states-november-ballot/

...The initiative proposes a central state that would consist of Los Angeles, Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey and San Benito counties; a southern state made up of Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Imperial, Kern, Kings, Fresno, Tulare, Inyo, Madera and Mono counties; and the 40 remaining counties grouped into a northern states....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/04/12/california-3-states-november-ballot/

...The initiative proposes a central state that would consist of Los Angeles, Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey and San Benito counties; a southern state made up of Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, Imperial, Kern, Kings, Fresno, Tulare, Inyo, Madera and Mono counties; and the 40 remaining counties grouped into a northern states....

Which, if any, of these would be conservative? Or would there be 6 liberal senators in DC instead of 2?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Which, if any, of these would be conservative? Or would there be 6 liberal senators in DC instead of 2?

Definitely 4 but likely 6.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I think it would be 4 Rats, 2 GOP.  Net gain for the Commiecrats.  I see no reason for any House changes.

Wouldn't this have to be approved by both sides of the US Congress?  I don't see any upside at all for Congress (well, the Commiecrats would love it, but they're for anything that increases their power).
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I'll take 4 more rats if there was hope that 1/3 of Cali was back in the union.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Southern California would likely elect conservatives. It does now.

Not very long ago Ventura and San Luis Obispo counties did, too.

As far as all of the (mostly) sparsely populated counties in the north, I don't know much.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online cato potatoe

This cannot be allowed.  All three are left of center, and turning bluer every election cycle.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
This cannot be allowed.  All three are left of center, and turning bluer every election cycle.
IIRC, any change in State boundaries has to be approved by Congress. When the EPA under Obama, in a snit over not proving fraccing had anything to do with the bad water in Pavilion, WY, gave over a million acres of Wyoming to the Wind River Tribe, including Pavilion, Riverton, and environs, the Governor of WY sought injunctive relief on the basis that the change in the state's boundaries was illegal.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis