Author Topic: Trump: Decision on Syria will be made in '24 to 48 hours'  (Read 5155 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump: Decision on Syria will be made in '24 to 48 hours'
« on: April 09, 2018, 04:30:54 pm »
Trump: Decision on Syria will be made in '24 to 48 hours'
By Jordan Fabian - 04/09/18 11:55 AM EDT

President Trump on Monday said he would decide the U.S. response to the “heinous” chemical weapons attack in Syria “in the next 24 to 48 hours.”

Speaking at the White House, Trump delivered his first in-person condemnation of the attack, which reportedly left dozens of people dead.

“It was atrocious. It was horrible,” Trump said. “This is about humanity and it can’t be allowed to happen.”

Trump said he would be speaking to his national security team to determine the responsible party and any U.S. action.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/382276-trump-decision-on-syria-will-be-made-in-24-to-48-hours
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Trump: Decision on Syria will be made in '24 to 48 hours'
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 05:14:54 pm »
Trump added that Russian President Vladimir Putin, Assad’s most prominent foreign ally, “may” share responsibility for the attack.

“Everybody is going to pay a price. He will, everybody will,” said the president, who has previously been reluctant to criticize Putin by name.

Russia is warning the U.S. against any “military intervention” in Syria over the government's alleged chemical attack against civilians this weekend, saying any such response would be “unacceptable” and lead to the “most serious consequences”.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/syrias-alleged-chemical-attack-demand-response-state-department/story?id=54318219

This could get interesting really quickly.

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 05:20:29 pm »
Trump added that Russian President Vladimir Putin, Assad’s most prominent foreign ally, “may” share responsibility for the attack.

“Everybody is going to pay a price. He will, everybody will,” said the president, who has previously been reluctant to criticize Putin by name.

Russia is warning the U.S. against any “military intervention” in Syria over the government's alleged chemical attack against civilians this weekend, saying any such response would be “unacceptable” and lead to the “most serious consequences”.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/syrias-alleged-chemical-attack-demand-response-state-department/story?id=54318219

This could get interesting really quickly.

Indeed.  If I recall Bammy did absolutely nothing allowing Putin to have a strong presence in the area, but didn't Trump just a few days ago state that he wanted to get out of Syria?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 05:24:46 pm »

“Everybody is going to pay a price. He will, everybody will,” said the president, who has previously been reluctant to criticize Putin by name. [/i]

I sure hope that "Everybody is going to pay a price.  He will, everybody will" doesn't become Trump's version of: ".... a red line for us is we start seeing a whole bunch of chemical weapons moving around or being utilized." (Barack Obama, September 4, 2013) 

We now know that 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles launched against Al Shayrat airfield last year wasn't enough of a "price" because apparently Assad has used chemical weapons yet again even though the President said at the time that “.... it shouldn’t be allowed to happen.”
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline edpc

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 05:26:45 pm »
Indeed.  If I recall Bammy did absolutely nothing allowing Putin to have a strong presence in the area, but didn't Trump just a few days ago state that he wanted to get out of Syria?

Yes, but he has also boxed himself in somewhat with the previous strike, comments about red lines and what he’s said today.  Is a response warranted?  Probably.  What happens after, though, is anyone’s guess.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 05:27:49 pm »
Maybe he'll bomb another empty airfield* after giving the people there warning to leave- and it will be up and running again in a few hours...
...and the fans will cheer and cheer and cheer...

*http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/syrian-airfield-hit-us-missiles-running-46679474

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 05:33:46 pm »
Maybe he'll bomb another empty airfield* after giving the people there warning to leave- and it will be up and running again in a few hours...

*http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/syrian-airfield-hit-us-missiles-running-46679474

@AbaraXas
Airfields aren't much more than a long strip of concrete.   Very easy to fill in any holes and resume.

But when you hit an airfield you can hit planes, which are harder to replace.  You can also hit radar systems.  The radar systems aren't all that hard to replace if you have extras laying around, like in Russia or someplace.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 05:36:21 pm »
@AbaraXas
Airfields aren't much more than a long strip of concrete.   Very easy to fill in any holes and resume.

But when you hit an airfield you can hit planes, which are harder to replace.  You can also hit radar systems.  The radar systems aren't all that hard to replace if you have extras laying around, like in Russia or someplace.

Airstrikes supposedly have begun.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,311435.msg1653803/topicseen.html#msg1653803

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 05:36:36 pm »

Sorry, it sounds like you were disappointed people were not killed.

Transcript of the video:
Transcript for Syrian airfield hit by US missiles up and running again
with new bombings by president bashar Al Assad on his own people in that chemical attack. This as images are emerging of Syrian jets taking off from the airbase targeted by U.S. Tomahawk missiles. President trump defending and explaining the decision not to bomb the runways and tonight we hear from one of the most visible victims from the Syrian attack. The father of baby twins killed by the chemical weapons. ABC east Alex Marquardt leads us off tonight. Reporter: Tonight, the Syrian airbase hit by the U.S. Military back up and running, new photos showing Syrian jets taking off less than 24 hours after the U.S. Strike. The markings from the bombings seen on bunkers. Images showing aircraft and bombed out fuel tanks and damage to aircraft shelters. But the runways untouched. Tonight the president tweeting a defense. The reason you generally don't hit runways is that they are easy and inexpensive to quickly fix. The Pentagon says it was from this base that a plane took off with the deadly nerve agent used in Tuesday's chemical attack that killed more than 80 people. And that town bombed again today according to a watchdog group. There is irony here that it does appear that it's okay for Mr. Assad to blow up his people. It's just not okay to gas them. When president trump announced the strike he pointed to the children who were killed. It was a slow and brutal death for so many. Even beautiful babies were cruelly murdered in this very barbaric attack. Perhaps no image more gut wrenching of this one of Abdul hameem Youssef hugging his two lifeless twins. He went house to house trying to rescue neighbors and family. Many foaming at the mouth. He lost 25 relatives in the attack during which he fainted. Translator: When I came to I asked for them he said. I told them hello darlings I took too long. I rescued everyone else but I couldn't rescue you. Describing the moment the photo was taken Youssef said I wasn't aware of anything. I thought they were alive. I was expecting them to hug me back. That father's story and the images so devastating. Alex joins us live. The big question, will Syria respond to the U.S. Attack and do we know if today's new bombing by Syria of that town where the chemical attack occurred was that retaliation? Reporter: It's unclear whether that Syrian attack was in direct response to the American strike which president Assad has called an unjust act of aggression but we are seeing the reaction. A defiant Assad saying we are going to continue carrying bombing runs and launching our planes from the base that you just struck. Tom. Alex, thank you. Digging deeper into the decision around that strike plus the

This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/syrian-airfield-hit-us-missiles-running-46679474

I see nothing about an "empty airfield"; he sent a warning, it may not be perfect, others would be talking about attacking a sovereign nation. You can't win, but it looks like he did adequate.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 05:39:07 pm »
Sorry, it sounds like you were disappointed people were not killed.

Transcript of the video:

Without a good body count you ain't doing it right.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline aligncare

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 05:41:10 pm »
The first air strikes were a warning. Assad’s been on notice and after this latest chemical attack may be in for a rude awakening.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 05:42:14 pm »
The first air strikes were a warning. Assad’s been on notice and after this latest chemical attack may be in for a rude awakening.

Why are we in Syria?  What exactly is the upside?

Lets ask John Kerry, he likes to have dinner with Assad.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 05:43:34 pm »
Policeman of the world, that's the term I always heard and maybe  someone's got to do it. We certainly didn't do it under Obama. Looks like we basically have a consensus of nations to something.

Another problem is getting involved in a conflict, making gains and then, the Democrats erase those gains, as with 2012 and even the Vietnam war.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 05:51:34 pm »
Why are we in Syria?  What exactly is the upside?

Lets ask John Kerry, he likes to have dinner with Assad.

Myself, I’m all for bugging out. In retrospect we were wrong after 9-11 for thinking we could tame the region with money, arms and social programs. Let the sensible Middle East countries – if there are any – deal with the crazies among themselves.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 05:53:56 pm »
Myself, I’m all for bugging out. In retrospect we were wrong after 9-11 for thinking we could tame the region with money, arms and social programs. Let the sensible Middle East countries – if there are any – deal with the crazies among themselves.

Actually at the expense of thousands of young Americans (and some Brits) we did largely tame the region.   It wasn't pacified but it was safer then south Chicago.

It wasn't until Obama that the radicals resume hostilities.  Something he encouraged as it fed the Arab Spring (aka Caliphate rebuilding).

Offline TomSea

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 05:57:45 pm »
A lot of the refugees do come from Syria and in a sense, one could say that is destabilizing the West,  that's one reason, it might be intentional.

And also, not to knock the efforts of the Russians, Iranians, Hezbollah and Syrian Regime against ISIS, but are they or have they really done that much against them? If ISIS just regroups to carry out mayhem on neighbors and even the West and Assad and Putin, don't really care, that's another.

That's just for some debate, one needs to understand both sides.

It's always been Israel's problem if now, Iran has a so-called land-bridge to Israel; but in all other ways, save fighting their wars, we can help Israel.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2018, 05:59:18 pm »

Are we sure Assad did this?  If you're Assad would you use chemical weapons on a village that has surrendered and with whom you are negotiating safe passage for several of the leadersz/

Assad knows he's won this war.   Why would he want to encourage further intervention from the United States?

I feel like we're missing an important piece of this puzzle.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 06:01:12 pm »
Are we sure Assad did this?  If you're Assad would you use chemical weapons on a village that has surrendered and with whom you are negotiating safe passage for several of the leadersz/

Assad knows he's won this war.   Why would he want to encourage further intervention from the United States?

I feel like we're missing an important piece of this puzzle.

Really, just like that airstrike last night, are we really sure Israel did it? Maybe we should always just say we don't know.

False flag operation by Putin and allies.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 06:01:45 pm by TomSea »

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 06:03:09 pm »
Really, just like that airstrike last night, are we really sure Israel did it? Maybe we should always just say we don't know.

False flag operation by Putin and allies.

I don't know the extent of Israel's involvement. 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 06:03:32 pm »
There is a consensus to act.

That one Max Boot article in the editorial section pointed out how this massacre happened close to the anniversary of the missile attack last year, was that on purpose for Assad to thumb his nose at us? I would not immediately think so but it is an interesting point.

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 06:10:48 pm »
There is a consensus to act.

That one Max Boot article in the editorial section pointed out how this massacre happened close to the anniversary of the missile attack last year, was that on purpose for Assad to thumb his nose at us? I would not immediately think so but it is an interesting point.

He's no saint .... and I hate saying this ... but I don't think this is Assad.  It makes NO GD sense.  None.  I can't see it making sense to Putin, either.  Like he wants to invite the US tp piss all over Syria when he's thisclose to getting rid of those pesky Americans.   And I see a bullet between Assad's eyes if he even attempted to make a move without Pooty-Poot's blessing.

I hope someone's thinking outside the box.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 06:32:38 pm »
At the end of WWII the US, and our allies, remained in occupation for a long, long time.

During the occupations, we "De Nazified" Germany for example. We scrutinized hundreds of thousands of
Germans, to learn if they had strong sympathies, to continue fighting in any manner. That took a huge commitment of manpower, equipment and money.

We also helped restore economic strength, fed and hoosed them. We earned the respect of Germans and Japanese by virtue of humane treatment during our occupations.

We have been unwilling to do anything necessary for total, decisive, lasting victory in any major conflict, since WWII.

So every few years, we revisit a partial victory that fell apart, when we bugged out.

Colin Powell was quoted as advising Bush against invading Iraq a second time, stating "if you break it, you own it."

In the 1960s we decided in favor of Guns AND Butter, but the dems force military cuts whenever they can pull it off.

I don't believe the US is willing to have a large enough military in manpower terms, to assure that a victory stands. (ie. won't use the draft, won't pay for larger scale standing military)
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online corbe

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 09:45:45 pm »
   This is Madness can't we send James Taylor over there with his Guitar, instead?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline edpc

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 10:01:26 pm »
This is Madness can't we send James Taylor over there with his Guitar, instead?

Either way, they’ll see fire and rain.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 10:35:25 pm »

Either way, they’ll see fire and rain.

I'm seeing a blown up baby food/powdered milk processing plant or a children hospital laying in ruins on CNN in a few....
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."