Author Topic: GOP worries Blankenship surge will cost party W. Va. Senate seat  (Read 455 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP worries Blankenship surge will cost party W. Va. Senate seat
By Jordain Carney - 04/07/18 12:17 PM EDT

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — A former coal CEO’s post-prison rise is scrambling the GOP battle to unseat Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin (W.Va.).

Don Blankenship, released from jail less than a year ago, now appears to be within striking distance of the party’s nomination.

Strategists — and even his primary opponents — acknowledge he’s managed to turn an expected showdown between Rep. Evan Jenkins (W.Va.) and Attorney General Patrick Morrisey into a three-way fight with roughly a month to go until the May 8 primary election.

“It is a weird little race right now, [but] it’s looking like a legitimate three-person race,” said a national GOP strategist who is monitoring the Senate fight.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/382030-gop-worries-blankenship-surge-will-cost-party-w-va-senate-seat
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: GOP worries Blankenship surge will cost party W. Va. Senate seat
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:26:17 pm »
Blankenship and Jenkins have done nothing but negative, dishonest campaigning against Morrisey. While I believe any of them would be better than Manchin, I'd rather see Morrisey as Senator.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 11:59:05 pm »
GOP worries  (insert your choice of anything here).
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 12:05:49 am »
Blankenship and Jenkins have done nothing but negative, dishonest campaigning against Morrisey. While I believe any of them would be better than Manchin, I'd rather see Morrisey as Senator.

@mountaineer
What do you like about Morrisey?  Do you think he has a better chance against Manchin?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 12:11:45 am »
@mountaineer
What do you like about Morrisey?  Do you think he has a better chance against Manchin?
I know Patrick personally and believe he has a solid track record of conservatism and real accomplishments. He's the current state attorney general. He lacks charisma, for want of a better word, whereas Jenkins is probably more photogenic (heaven knows the voters can be superficial!). I'm not sure any of them has a chance against ol' Mojo, though, who is nothing but a weather vane. Many West Virginians know he'd jump on the gun-grabbing train if his DNC masters so ordered, but still consider him more "one of us" than Morrisey or Jenkins. As for Blankenship, I'm not sure what he brings to the table except his ire at being persecuted by the Obama administration.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org