Author Topic: Why is Twitter getting away with shadowbanning Ted Cruz?  (Read 972 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Why is Twitter getting away with shadowbanning Ted Cruz?
« on: April 07, 2018, 03:04:20 pm »
April 7, 2018
Why is Twitter getting away with shadowbanning Ted Cruz?
By Monica Showalter

Has Ted Cruz been shadowbanned by Twitter?

As Ace, at Ace of Spades, via Instapundit puts it, it "sure looks that way" (read the whole thing). He writes:

"Shadowbanning" is a banning that's hidden from the user. They don't ban you outright, but they do block everyone except the people you most frequently interact with from seeing your tweets.

A while ago, when I was still on twitter, one of my snarky comments would get 20, 40 retweets, at minimum. Then one day many of my tweets would get zero retweets, or 3.

When Twitter suspended me, I didn't bother getting unsuspended, because I knew they'd already blocked my tweets from 99% of all potential readers. So why bother even using their piece of shit data-exploitation antisocial media?

I would like Twitter to be quizzed heavily about this when they come before Congress to testify. Many conservatives are shadowbanned -- Mollie Hemingway seems to be. Michelle Malkin seems to be.

And even Senator Ted Cruz seems to be.

If this is not actually an open forum, they ought to say so. It's a simple matter of honest disclosure.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/04/why_is_twitter_getting_away_with_shadowbanning_ted_cruz.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Re: Why is Twitter getting away with shadowbanning Ted Cruz?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 03:16:26 pm »
Because Cruz is pithy with a good sense of humor. He used Twitter to good effect before and they can't have that with an election coming up.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 03:45:51 pm »
If it can be proven Twitter is doing this, they have some serious 'splaining to do.  Cruz is running for reelection, and campaign communication is the purest form of political speech.  This would prove they are actively assisting O'Rourke.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 05:32:01 pm »
This is very odd.  I don't follow Ted Cruz or Mollie Hemingway.   But I was able to read their feed both when I was logged in and when I was surfing anonymously.  So I don't think they're shadow-banned.  Perhaps TW has changed its display algorhythms like FB has.  Or maybe nothing has changed at all, and this writer is just wrong,
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 05:35:11 pm »
They are a private business and like them or not, they can decide what product they sell. They should have control over their content just like a Christian bookstore can choose not to offer Buddhist books.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 06:06:16 pm »
This is very odd.  I don't follow Ted Cruz or Mollie Hemingway.   But I was able to read their feed both when I was logged in and when I was surfing anonymously.  So I don't think they're shadow-banned.  Perhaps TW has changed its display algorhythms like FB has.  Or maybe nothing has changed at all, and this writer is just wrong,

It's like Bookface:  If you set out to read a writer, you see everything on their wall, but the Bookface news feeds to members are missing posts Bookface doesn't like.  That's "shadow banning."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 07:04:22 pm »
They are a private business and like them or not, they can decide what product they sell. They should have control over their content just like a Christian bookstore can choose not to offer Buddhist books.

While I agree somewhat with what you say, the issue here is viewpoint discrimination.  They have already decided to sell a product allowing users to send messages throughout the universe.  They are now censoring this service based solely upon viewpoint.  It is not like your Christian bookstore example because the Christian bookstore does not invite all vendors to set up shop within its store.

As someone who has been shadowbanned by Discus, the only recourse here is to brand Twitter as yet another propaganda arm of the Democrat Party.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 07:39:06 pm »
While I agree somewhat with what you say, the issue here is viewpoint discrimination.  They have already decided to sell a product allowing users to send messages throughout the universe.  They are now censoring this service based solely upon viewpoint.  It is not like your Christian bookstore example because the Christian bookstore does not invite all vendors to set up shop within its store.

As someone who has been shadowbanned by Discus, the only recourse here is to brand Twitter as yet another propaganda arm of the Democrat Party.

Seems to me the same principles used to force Christian bakers to make cakes for gay weddings applies here.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 07:58:15 pm »
Seems to me the same principles used to force Christian bakers to make cakes for gay weddings applies here.

The baker provides the final product.  Twitter only provides the easel.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 08:09:51 pm »

The baker provides the final product.  Twitter only provides the easel.

IIRC, the bakers were offering "blank easels" and that wasn't good enough.

If a radio station decided to refuse to air campaign ads for a Democrat while exclusively airing ads for his opponent, I think there would be some trouble.  I know that's an imperfect analogy, but it tempts Big Government to step in and create such a rule on the Internet.  They would justify it by deciding Twitter is a "common carrier."
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:10:39 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 11:40:14 pm »
How is he shadow banned? His tweets show up fine to me.