Author Topic: Michigan declares Flint water safe, ends bottled water  (Read 1026 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Michigan declares Flint water safe, ends bottled water
« on: April 07, 2018, 12:39:33 am »
Michigan declares Flint water safe, ends bottled water
By Josh Delk - 04/06/18 07:25 PM EDT

The state of Michigan declared Friday that the water in the city of Flint is now safe to drink, and that it will no longer deliver free bottled water to residents, according to the Detroit Free Press.

The water that once carried dangerous amounts of lead has now been safe to drink, if filtered, for around two years, according to tests cited by Gov. Rick Snyder's (R) office.

Distribution centers with supplies of state-funded bottled water will close when their current supplies run out, Snyder said.

Flint Mayor Karen Weaver protested that the city still does not "trust" the government's ability to ensure the water is safe.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/382050-michigan-declares-flint-water-ok-ends-bottled-water
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Michigan declares Flint water safe, ends bottled water
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 05:08:22 am »
This will not sit well with the Flint people.  What, exactly, has changed that makes the water safe again?  $100 Million was just allocated to fix Flint's pipes.  As much as it pains me to say it, Flint's Mayor is correct to point out the citizens of that city don't trust the State of Michigan's government.

That there was a caveat about the water did not escape my notice:  "...safe to drink, if filtered, for around two years.""
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 05:09:04 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 05:32:14 am »
@Cyber Liberty  That was my takeaway, too -- has to be filtered???

Speaking of which, I just heard a report about an Appalachian town where the water is routinely unsafe because of some combination of mining and pipes eaten away by chemicals.  I simply do not understand how this is possible in the US.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 05:58:54 am »
@Cyber Liberty  That was my takeaway, too -- has to be filtered???

Speaking of which, I just heard a report about an Appalachian town where the water is routinely unsafe because of some combination of mining and pipes eaten away by chemicals.  I simply do not understand how this is possible in the US.

I filter my water anyway, but it's because I like it better.

Water purity is an issue most anywhere, even if you have your own well.  I never had a softener, except for a few years back in the 80's.  Sometimes government causes the problem, like in Flint, or Tombstone.  In Flint it was because the city government decided it could save a bundle by pumping its water out of the  Flint River, rather than continuing to buy it from a Great Lake source.   In Tombstone, the water head in the nearby mountains was destroyed by a forest fire, and the Obama era EPS and FWS declared Tombstone could not use power equipment to trench and replace the damaged heads.  Eventually they were able to get permission to fix their system by getting teams of horses to help out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 06:20:48 am »
I filter my water anyway, but it's because I like it better.

Water purity is an issue most anywhere, even if you have your own well.  I never had a softener, except for a few years back in the 80's.  Sometimes government causes the problem, like in Flint, or Tombstone.  In Flint it was because the city government decided it could save a bundle by pumping its water out of the  Flint River, rather than continuing to buy it from a Great Lake source.   In Tombstone, the water head in the nearby mountains was destroyed by a forest fire, and the Obama era EPS and FWS declared Tombstone could not use power equipment to trench and replace the damaged heads.  Eventually they were able to get permission to fix their system by getting teams of horses to help out.

Is that what happened in Tombstone?  I had lost track of the story and if they had managed to solve it!

It's funny, I grew up with city water, then well water, and then city water again.  And I've never had a problem until living in this 1920s house in Burbank.  The water is incredibly hard and leaves deposits on everything!  I can't believe it's the city water, so I'm afraid it must have something to do with the pipes.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 07:25:38 am »
The city of Pittsburgh has chronic problems with water.  Repeated boil water advisories and in winter -- constant water main breaks. The problem is that the water system is antiquated.  I don't know exactly how old the pipes are, but I would think after maybe a hundred years, they are in bad shape and should be replaced.  But liker many liberal Democrat-run cities, Pittsburgh has its financial woes.  What money the city does have is spent on frivolities like bicycle lanes and trails. 

There was a movement to turn water service over to a private company, but it was shot down.  Too bad.  Where I live, the water service is contracted out. The water is a bit hard, but the water mains don't break every other day and we haven't had to boil our water.  And my tap water tastes good.  People Ii know who live in the city either buy bottled water or have a Brita or some such.  Water out of the tap tastes awful.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 03:30:04 pm »
If they'd paid their water bills in the first place, or the warer department had booted off those who didn't, this would never have happened.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 03:53:34 pm »
Is that what happened in Tombstone?  I had lost track of the story and if they had managed to solve it!

It's funny, I grew up with city water, then well water, and then city water again.  And I've never had a problem until living in this 1920s house in Burbank.  The water is incredibly hard and leaves deposits on everything!  I can't believe it's the city water, so I'm afraid it must have something to do with the pipes.

You probably have galvanized pipes.  I'm surprised they still work at all after all these years, assuming it's the original plumbing.
I will NOT comply.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 05:04:56 pm »
You probably have galvanized pipes.  I'm surprised they still work at all after all these years, assuming it's the original plumbing.

Oh, is that what it is?!  I haven't bothered to ask our landlady about it, because it's an old house with a lot of "quirks" ;).  A serious earthquake will probably not be kind to our "systems", though the house's construction is solid.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 06:02:15 pm »
The water is incredibly hard and leaves deposits on everything!  I can't believe it's the city water, so I'm afraid it must have something to do with the pipes.

Actually, @LauraTXNM , City of Burbank water is very hard:
https://www.burbankwaterandpower.com/water/water-quality/water-quality-annual-reports
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 06:13:12 pm »
Actually, @LauraTXNM , City of Burbank water is very hard:
https://www.burbankwaterandpower.com/water/water-quality/water-quality-annual-reports

Hahaha, @Suppressed!  Thanks for looking it up!  I can't believe they don't complain; that's why I hadn't checked ;). 

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 06:32:23 pm »
Hahaha, @Suppressed!  Thanks for looking it up!  I can't believe they don't complain; that's why I hadn't checked ;).

No problem!

It sure can be a problem.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have "flush days" where they have to purge the system every few years, making a mess of the water for a week or so.
+++++++++

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 07:37:26 pm »
No problem!

It sure can be a problem.  I wouldn't be surprised if they have "flush days" where they have to purge the system every few years, making a mess of the water for a week or so.

They do that with the sewers too, and I wish they would warn the residents so we can block off all our drains with boric acid before the little effers come in trying to escape the flood, just like the itsy bitsy spider.
I will NOT comply.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 10:37:54 pm »

If your living in a house built in the 20's I would be amazed if it hasn't been re-piped at least once. The house I had in Anaheim was built in 56 and galvanized pipe and they were ready to give up the ghost five years ago. Can you see what kind of piping is used for your outside hose bibs? Thast will pretty much tell you what the house is piped in.

[/size]